UPS Transfer

542thruNthru

Do they care about the Western pension?
62d09455-a5c7-48de-979a-4f907ff68d44_text.gif

UPS let feeder driver transfer hubs and now is revoking their transfer. Union had a hearing and told UPS they skipped over a package driver that was in the new hub that wanted it. Feeder driver has to transfer back to their old hub after 11 months of doing the job. Old hub is 3 hours away. They sold their house there. After getting the ok from UPS, they purchased a house in the new area. Now they have to relocate back. Transfer cost them over $50k in expenses to move and relocate.

UPS isn’t giving them a dime to relocate back. Seems like UPS and union dropped the ball. They gave the driver no notice. Just a last minute surprise call.
Last minute surprise call, my ass. Hell, I've known about it for a month now.

UPSNW

Last minute surprise call, my ass. Hell, I've known about it for a month now.
This is just the story I’ve heard. That they didn’t give notice to the feeder and randomly got a call a few weeks ago that you gotta go back. 11 months of doing the job and then a phone call.

johnnybgood

Was the union aware that there was a transfer happening?
Was the union aware that there was an employee that was skipped over on the bid sheet?
Was the union not supposed to enforce the contract with regards to transfers?
Was defending the seniority skipped driver not the obligation of the union?
Was the union aware that there was a contract violation for all 11 months?

You say the union is partially to blame, but I'm not seeing it.
And with you saying you don't have all the details, I'm not sure you should be saying it.

The union relies on the members to report contract violations. They don't just magically know what goes on inside the buildings.
As soon as the union heard from the agrieved they shoulda gave the wrongfully transferred driver the heads up so he didn't sell his house.

johnnybgood

What you don't seem to understand is that every local union is autonomous. One doesn't know what the other is doing. Also do you know how many locals are in the 11 western states? This means that no one but the company and the local processing the grievance would have known about what was going on until a remedy was won. So again this is the companies fault and blaming the union for not giving the driver a heads up is asinine.
You act like unions can't pick up the phone and call another union.

They shoulda gave that guy the heads up as soon as their member started the process which apparently took almost a year to get a decision.

johnnybgood

Sounds like the Union did the right thing. Doesn't sound like much opportunity if there is only one

feeder position in the building. Company mistake.... let them deal with it.
Come on, man, this process didn't happen overnight, it took 11 months !!!

I love unions too but to not give him the heads up as soon as the process started is assinine.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
As soon as the union heard from the agrieved they shoulda gave the wrongfully transferred driver the heads up so he didn't sell his house.
Since you are not the aggrieved person, you do not know what they were told when.

You don’t know where things stood.

You do not have the details required to judge the union for their actions.