Shortage of trainers?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by murphyhead, Apr 28, 2014.

1. murphyhead

murphyhead New Member

Hired off the street for package driver job. Been to NSPT a couple of weeks ago, now waiting to start. I'm raring to go, but my center has no trainers available. Waiting for the center manager to call and give me a start date. Is this normal? HR has been no help with anything, seems to be a real disorganized...

Sent using BrownCafe App
  2. BigBrown3605

BigBrown3605 Member

UPS is one big wait..........:happy-very:
  3. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

Must be a large hiring push in the Midwest. My supervisor has been on assignment down in Chicago for the past couple weeks helping to get the newbies through driver school.
  4. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

The trainer you speak of are called ORS (On Road Sups)

In my area this is the year of the bids. Mean all FT driver (package and feeders and article 22.3) position go out to bid. When drivers bid different route they sometimes need to be trained on there new route if they never ran it before.. They will most likely train most of the driver that moved before you....

Also are you sure that you got hired as a FT driver and not a casual that fills in for driver on Vacation ????
  5. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

Yes they are trying to kill us old guys. So they can get that young person on the road.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. jaker

jaker trolling

Yes it is common because there is not to many on road sups that actually know how to drive or better yet teach someone else
  7. BigBrown3605

BigBrown3605 Member

Wow they actually do that....... In my center, you bid on a route you don't know, you will go out blind and learn on your own..........
  8. It would be classic if your center manager trained you.
  9. jumpman23

jumpman23 Oh Yeah

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Scuderia1

Scuderia1 Member

I'm an off the street full time driver fresh hire. My orientation got cancelled and I was called after 6 months.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Posts such as these prove just how much of an asset you are to this forum.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Our center manager drove for 12 years so I am sure he knows of what he speaks.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  13. Ours drove for about 5 weeks but he's one of the better center manager's I've ever seen.
  14. gman042

gman042 Been around the block a few times

IN our center, a couple members of the safety committee happen to be cover drivers. In the name of SAFETY they are allowed to take new drivers out to train them on routes. They can do this until all safety hours for the month are used up.
  15. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

center manager's almost never brown up except for a harassment ride. The on car sups are the overworked slaves that have to do it all (so a lot doesn't get done).
  16. That's why I said it would be classic.
  17. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

That is unusual for them to drive that long. Usually, it is just enough to apply for management.
  18. murphyhead

murphyhead New Member

Guess I'm just being impatient.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  19. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

I don't think our center manager even has a set of browns. Maybe he only wears them at Halloween.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

My center manager was hired off the street as a driver...couldn't hack it.