Should a tip be based on the waitperson's sexual orientation or lifestyle?

Should a tip be based on the waitperson's sexual orientation or lifestyle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

moreluck

golden ticket member
Hypothetically, if you had an issue with say, Hispanic people. Would you say that phrase to Juan, your server? Why would having a gay server make someone uncomfortable? It's not contagious.
Around here, if you had an issue with Hispanic servers........you would never get seated, waited on or table bussed. The mangers are also Hispanic......Angel at IHOP .....HI !

oldngray

nowhere special
I don't care if my server is Hispanic but I would mind if he/she didn't speak English. That definitely would upset me. There are many jobs people with little or no English can do but not one where they need to communicate with the public.

I don't care if my server is Hispanic but I would mind if he/she didn't speak English. That definitely would upset me. There are many jobs people with little or no English can do but not one where they need to communicate with the public.

Just Hispanic?

They're are some of the best restaurants ever in Chicago where many of the owners/waitstaff speak poor english if at all. But they realize the vast majority of their customers are english speaking so they adapt their methods to take care of their customers. Name a country and I can take you to a restaurant. And that's just the topic of language. Ethnicity and sexual orientation, etc are a whole other chapter.

As fpr the people who stiffed that waitress their reasoning is reprehensible and they would be unwelcome in any establishment I owned.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
As long as my foods hot and the server is nice and good with their service, I always leave 25 to 30 percent. If you've never waited tables you wouldn't know anything about the job. Just because they wait tables doesn't mean that they don't have a family to feed too. Who knows what their scenario is for being a waiter or waitress is. Maybe they work 2 jobs or have lost their job before they waited tables. I don't look down on a person because they wait tables. Life is about helping people in my eyes. Plus the fact that ive waited tables before and they only make 2.25 an hour plus tips which a lot of people don't know that.

over9five

Staff member
Donna and I go out OFTEN. We always learn and use our servers name, and talk them up if it's not too busy. We certainly don't care what their sexual orientation is, and I think it's pretty pathetic to base your tip off of that information.

We tip very good, and I agree with whoever said a tacked on gratuity would get less than we'd normally give.

rod

Retired 22 years
It seems to me that now days everyone you come in contact with has their hand out for a tip. I tend to over tip (just ask my wife) when I am pleased with your service but the quickest way to get me to stiff you is to blatently ask for a tip or clean my money off the bar when I haven't pushed it to the edge yet. There seem to be more and more people who "demand" a tip. I get a kick out of my mother-in-law. Once in a blue moon she will pick up the tab for a meal when we go out and a buck is the biggest tip I have ever seen her leave (we always sneak in more). I can just imagine the wait staff at her little old ladies gatherings fighting over who has to wait on them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Around here, if you had an issue with Hispanic servers........you would never get seated, waited on or table bussed. The mangers are also Hispanic......Angel at IHOP .....HI !
I was only using Hispanic people as an example....
My point just flew right by you, didn't it? I couldn't imagine telling ANY server, "no offense but I'd be more comfortable being helped by someone else"...based solely on my own prejudices. I mean if the person was dirty or smelled, or picked their nose in front of me....than yeah, I'd rather they not come in contact with my food.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I was only using Hispanic people as an example....
My point just flew right by you, didn't it? I couldn't imagine telling ANY server, "no offense but I'd be more comfortable being helped by someone else"...based solely on my own prejudices. I mean if the person was dirty or smelled, or picked their nose in front of me....than yeah, I'd rather they not come in contact with my food.
It just so happens that your example hit home with me.......So no, your point didn't fly by me. I just picked it up and ran with it.....weren't planning on that were you ?

upschuck

I don't care what they are, any nationality, any religion, any orientation, if they keep us happy, then they will be happy when I leave.

bluehdmc

It seems to me that now days everyone you come in contact with has their hand out for a tip.
I have to agree with this, 30yrs ago if you went to a Dunkin Donuts, when they had the sit down counter and thick ceramic cups. They didn't have a tip cup at the counter if you got take out, now practically every bakery, bagel shop, and donut shop has a "tip" cup. The bakeries and bagel places generally pay more than a restaurant so really why should you tip someone for a cup of coffee to go?
I do tip a waiter/waitress well when I eat out, but picking up Chinese take out???

There is no excuse for what this woman did, if they live in NJ and ever ate out in NYC odds are their waiter was (to stereotype) a gay out of work actor.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Tips should be for the quality of service, not to be considered as a part of the normal wages. Tips should be optional so if you have poor service leave less, or more for better service. I could care less about the sexual orientation but if the waiter/waitress is making it an issue because of their behavior, then I would have a problem with it. Ideally you should not even know personal details about the waiter/waitress since its irrelevant to them doing their job.

Against my better judgment, I agree with oldngray.
Good service, friendly manner, genuine smile you get a tip regardless of race, tender, gender, sexual ori​entation, religion, sports fan, college affiliation, political party affiliation, etc.

bbsam

Staff member
I do have to confess though, if she's cute in a certain kind of way the tip might be a little bigger. Yes. I know that's wrong.