Should I take a rural route ?

onehandsolo

I currently average 180 to 200 stops and 260 pieces, 85 miles a day. I am considering bidding a rural route averaging 90 stops 140 pieces and 170 miles a day. Both routes have about 20 business stops a day. Some drivers in my center would rather deliver more stops and drive last. I am pushing 50 and have 10 to 12 years left. Thoughts. Ps we have Orion. I woulld just follow it on my new run.

Sent using BrownCafe App

rod

Retired 22 years
90 stops and 170 miles is too much for that many rural deliveries. Should be about 60-65 stops. Who ever has been running it didn't go by the book and you have to pay for his foolishness until you get it down to where it should be. The quickest way to do that is to go by their rules.

oldngray

nowhere special
With urban sprawl there aren't many good rural routes left and those are the pre-retirement routes for the most senior drivers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
90 stops and 170 miles is too much for that many rural deliveries. Should be about 60-65 stops. Who ever has been running it didn't go by the book and you have to pay for his foolishness until you get it down to where it should be. The quickest way to do that is to go by their rules.
If you're only going out with 60-65 you're over 200 miles no doubt everyday. Likely over 225.

Even then it usually doesn't matter. The believe min any car should have is 70-75. Like to put 80 on 90%+ of the rural routes. In fact many rural routes are being give. 10-15 stops in a subdivision either on their way back or in a town they are close to. This is all to meet that magic number.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I just took a rural route about a month ago. Loving it! Your body will thank you.
That's what I tell idiots all the time. Why would you take a route with more back breaking bulk? Id rather have seat time and more driving, its a no brainer, your body will thank you when you retire. Ive seen 3 guys have their careers cut short because they were too stupid and thickheaded and wanted to play macho man and not come off their route. You don't get anywhere on this job playing macho man. You play macho man on this job with stupidity, you go into early retirement with an injury. Work smarter not harder..

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That's what I tell idiots all the time. Why would you take a route with more back breaking bulk? Id rather have seat time and more driving, its a no brainer, your body will thank you when you retire. Ive seen 3 guys have their careers cut short because they were too stupid and thickheaded and wanted to play macho man and not come off their route. You don't get anywhere on this job playing macho man. You play macho man on this job with stupidity, you go into early retirement with an injury. Work smarter not harder..
Oooh yeah!!!

watdaflock?

Does your center mind you using your big brown truck to trim branches on the rural roads?
Like UpstateNY mentioned - hows your winters?

You may find out that route is brutal when the roads become slick.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Any road is brutal when road is slick from ice. That's the most stress fee time because you can drive like grandpa and not get in any kind of trouble for bringing back a gazillion stops lmfao. Your not working hard at all physically in those conditions, the only thing working hard is your brain mentally from trying to focus and being extremely careful. That's exactly why I got mad respect for feeders for driving that king kong sized truck in scary conditions, not everybody has the mental aptitude and discipline to do it.