Should the American embargo to Cuba come to an end ?

klein

Für Meno :)
The cold war has ended decades ago.
The USA trades with communist China, and other middle eastern countries, that are not really to our democratic standards.

Cuba has done no harm to America.
So, what's your opinion ?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The embargo never really made sense, in fact in a lot of ways it's been counter productive. Now it's sort of like a bad habit that we haven't gotten around to breaking.

klein

Canada and the rest of the world have ended that embargo, probably before JFK died.

It's sad, no american products are there to buy.
I scrambled for Heinz Ketchup today (the little serving packs). Safeway and 7/11 gave them to me for free, because I told them they only have some sort of brownish ketchup in Cuba, imported from Argentina, which I heard is yucky.
(didn't want to take a whole bottle with me, since once opened, it needs to be refrigerated).

You can also go to Cuba with any currency on this planet, but NOT american dollars, because the US won't exchange them , ofcourse.
Neither can you use an american issued credit card, because of the embargo.

I'm heading there in a few hrs time. Great white sandy beaches, turquois ocean, but you won't see Heinz Ketchup or Hellmanns/ Kraft Mayo. Not a Mac D's , neither a BK or DQ. Not even pepsi or coke :(
It's overdue !

You got a few million you could export to, and create jobs.

over9five

Staff member
I blame the continuing embargo on Castros silly *** beard. I mean, c'mon, he's supposed to be/have been the leader of a country and he goes around looking like that!

Seriously tho, it is past time to end the embargo.

klein

I blame the continuing embargo on Castros silly *** beard. I mean, c'mon, he's supposed to be/have been the leader of a country and he goes around looking like that!

Seriously tho, it is past time to end the embargo.

Over, you should try a poll on this one.... I tried, but screwed up :(

I think it's time, too. Gee, communist China provides Walmart.
I would like to see cruise liners hitting Cuba, even a damm Mac D's there !

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Canada and the rest of the world have ended that embargo, probably before JFK died.

It's sad, no american products are there to buy.
I scrambled for Heinz Ketchup today (the little serving packs). Safeway and 7/11 gave them to me for free, because I told them they only have some sort of brownish ketchup in Cuba, imported from Argentina, which I heard is yucky.
(didn't want to take a whole bottle with me, since once opened, it needs to be refrigerated).

You can also go to Cuba with any currency on this planet, but NOT american dollars, because the US won't exchange them , ofcourse.
Neither can you use an american issued credit card, because of the embargo.

I'm heading there in a few hrs time. Great white sandy beaches, turquois ocean, but you won't see Heinz Ketchup or Hellmanns/ Kraft Mayo. Not a Mac D's , neither a BK or DQ. Not even pepsi or coke :(
It's overdue !

You got a few million you could export to, and create jobs.

Hmmmm.. Got to say it:

The issue with Cuba is one of Political and Tactical (as in defense).
Castro stated that he was a firm supporter of the USSR doctrine and perspective on society.
He has not come forward and renounced the threat that he made against the US and, particulary, Fla. back in ther 60's and reiterated in the 80's.
An unstable Dictator 60 miles off our Coast should not be trusted or ignored.
I think the difference in perspective between Klein and I is that Canada is not a SuperPower that is 60 miles from Cuba nor has he had any Military or Government exposure as have I.
When I watched Rodney King get beat, I thought it was tragic...When I saw LA torched afterwaqrds, I thought it was lunacy. A firm hold of the City would have prevented a lot of damage. A firm hold of Cuba will as well. Perhaps the CDN fleet should be styationed down there to hold the wire........Naw...........

tieguy

Banned
I don't know that I have a dog in this fight.

I think cuban americans do and that I should respect their wish's.

I was there in baltimore when the orioles played the cubans in a baseball game. Cuban americans came from everywhere protesting in the streets with total class and dignity.

It left a lasting impression on me. I would never vote against those americans.

DS

Fenderbender
Hmmmm.. Got to say it:

The issue with Cuba is one of Political and Tactical (as in defense).
Castro stated that he was a firm supporter of the USSR doctrine and perspective on society.
He has not come forward and renounced the threat that he made against the US and, particulary, Fla. back in ther 60's and reiterated in the 80's.
An unstable Dictator 60 miles off our Coast should not be trusted or ignored.
I think the difference in perspective between Klein and I is that Canada is not a SuperPower that is 60 miles from Cuba nor has he had any Military or Government exposure as have I.
When I watched Rodney King get beat, I thought it was tragic...When I saw LA torched afterwaqrds, I thought it was lunacy. A firm hold of the City would have prevented a lot of damage. A firm hold of Cuba will as well. Perhaps the CDN fleet should be styationed down there to hold the wire........Naw...........

sounds like a plan...I for one am all for it

https://web.archive.org/web/2010082...spend+billion+fighter+jets/3290774/story.html

KingofBrown

Cuba is a Pearl lost in the sea… I believe Cuba should overthrow her current government and start diplomatic relations with the world however they wish. In my opinion they should start good relations specially with their neighbors. If they want a McDonald’s there they should be free to choose to have it or not. Cuba it’s a place frozen in time. I don’t think just because there’s a certain kind of pride from just one person like Castro, all Cubans have to pay for that, or obey what that guy says. In my belief a country with Communism has slight liberty, and liberty cannot be considered liberty if it’s not in whole at all. A country with a dictator is worst than Communism, and thus that country and its people are ruined just by having a dictator. A country with a dictator and communism is Cuba. I believe people should have the right to govern themselves, so I believe Cuba should adopt a democratic government, so that people choose what’s best for them; and not a Castro or Castro Jr’s ideas decide what’s best for 11 or 12 million people. And if they govern themselves, they’ll be able to decide how to handle an embargo from another country.

klein

Well, just got back from Cuba..... It's not like you think it is. There was lots to choose from... JoHnnie Walker Gold, green, black, red..... to Canadian Club,, everthing except ofcourse Jim Beam or Jack Daniels.

Beer : Becks, Heineken, Bavaria, and many more. Took pics to prove all this.

Just nothing, American owned (like Budweiser).
No big deal.

Now who is missing out ?