So called "right to work"

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by UniteandWin, Feb 28, 2016.

1. UniteandWin

UniteandWin Active Member

Really! There are actually union members on the forum that support this law? I guess those same members are against prevailing wage? Good Lord guys, how could you in good conscience support this Anti- organized labor law created to weaken you own livelihood. That is unexplainable

Sent using BrownCafe App

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Shifting Contents

Shifting Contents Most Help Needed

Go ahead and explain what's so bad about it

In detail

I'll wait

3. Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Whatbrownwontdoforyou Well-Known Member

For starters receiving a service and a contract without having to pay for it......from a union business perspective they have to provide service for free.....imagine ups was forced not to charge anyone for anything that is shipped nda unless the customer felt like paying for it

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. realbrown1

realbrown1 Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

I don't know anybody that supports that.

If they choose not to join the union, f-em.

No union scale, no union benefits, no union protection.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. davburke

davburke Member

I

6. davburke

davburke Member

I believe that non members should not be getting the same healthcare, pensions, pay raises, vacations, seniority system etc. as me who is a dues paying member. Its aimed at draining the unions finances. Imagine shopping at Costco and getting member prices and refusing to be a member. Imagine working out at Planet Fitness and refusing to be a member. Imagine shopping at Amazon and getting Prime entitlements and refusing to be a Prime member. If you insist on working at ups and not paying union membership then you need to be a supervisor

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  7. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

I support right to works laws but I wish the stipulations required to opt out of joining were exactly what you laid out in your first sentence. I'm willing to bet that we'd see very few non members like we do now if that were the case. If any.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Orion inc.

Orion inc. I like turtles

You shouldn't support right to work anything.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. Overpaid Union Thug

I should and I do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  10. davburke

davburke Member

What part of it do you support?

11. davburke

davburke Member

And what if my first sentence is the sole main purpose of Right to Work. To allow scabs to steal without paying. But yet it is presented as a way to help businesses competitively?

12. davburke

davburke Member

13. Overpaid Union Thug

Everyone in right to work states has the right to work without being forced or coerced to join. And EVERYONE should. I agree with that part. But they should not retain union benefits if they choose not to join.That would eliminate the need for unions to waste time and money on them. The free loading wouldnt be happening. And, as I already stated, the inability to freeload would bring more people in.

14. davburke

davburke Member

If you want to work for UPS and wish to remain non-union, then you need to become a supervisor. Plain and simple.

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 5
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  15. BrownArmy

BrownArmy Well-Known Member

That sounds rational, but that's not what RTW laws are for.

They're designed to weaken Unions, end of story.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. davburke

davburke Member

Nobody has any right accepting a union position and refuse to pay union dues

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. davburke

davburke Member

It's sole main purpose is to secretly drain union finances but it is presented as a freedom for workers to decide and for competitive reasons as a cover up

18. davburke

davburke Member

Right now Trump claims to be very supportive of unions to make himself appear to support labor but yet he also supports RTW as a secret way to destroy unions

19. realbrown1

realbrown1 Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

Nobody should be FORCED to join a union to get a job.

That being said, you would have to be some kind of idiot to choose not to join.

I would also strip every union negotiated benefit, pay, retirement, represenation and healthcare from them for choosing not to join the union.

But this is America, and you should have the right to join or not join.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Overpaid Union Thug

Yes they do. The law says so.
    Or maybe it's a way to force unions to show their true worth through the fear of losing members. Or maybe it's is actually meant to ensure everyone can work without having to join a union as a prerequisite. Or maybe it's both.

Circular reasoning at best.