So for like 3 days straight I was told to go home due to no work

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We hear this complaint E V E R Y year. Obviously, HR isn't very forthcoming about the hours.
I feel this is more than dishonest and borders unethical. They LIE to the seasonal help, pure and simple. I can remember every helper I've ever had complaining about lack of hours too. They lead these people to believe they'll be working full shifts every day starting immediately. OP, you'll be lucky to get half your hours for any week before Thanksgiving.
You're right....I'm sure HR lies through their teeth. In my building, a good amount of helpers return their uniforms after xmas....having never worked a single day.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
We hear this complaint E V E R Y year. Obviously, HR isn't very forthcoming about the hours.
I feel this is more than dishonest and borders unethical. They LIE to the seasonal help, pure and simple. I can remember every helper I've ever had complaining about lack of hours too. They lead these people to believe they'll be working full shifts every day starting immediately. OP, you'll be lucky to get half your hours for any week before Thanksgiving.

Two words to new hires this (actually any) time of the year:

​Cannon fodder.

RitchieDavies

Trollkiller
and that they would call me the next day if there was work....do they expect me to show up everyday just to find out there is no work for me or what? im ready to quit lol this is ridiculous. Also I checked my account, and I didnt get my direct deposit yet for the week I worked last week. Does Direct Deposit differ for the new hires? Im assuming im a seasonal hire due to the sups jerking me around. Will I still get paid even if I didnt show up all week?

I've been there and done that... AFTER season. You go there, and you're left standing around with your thumb up your ass while everyone else gets to see their name on the board and can go to their assigned areas after the pcm. But when you don't show up because you're tired of the benching/laid off bull, that's when either

A: You're their most valuable worker and the place is supposedly "falling apart" without you (because some ******* didn't show up... it's always the same ones) OR...

B: They get offended and get a bug up their butts, acting like you're irresponsible because you're sick of coming in and being told that there's no work.

I hate management...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If it were me I would call them every morning starting Monday morning. I would tell them I am available to work whatever shift they may need help on. If you wait for them to call they may forget about you until they absolutely need you, which may not be until we get closer to Thanksgiving.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
no I was told on tuesday that if there was work on wednesday they would call me to come in...I got no phone call on wednesday (technically tuesday because my shift is preload), and ever since then I just stopped going.
I would've shown up on thursday morning unless instructed not to come in. Show a little initiative...

PT Car Washer

Not sure how this fits into your situation, but asked a 25+ year irreg driver about new hires. His reply was "see new guys everyday and a week later they quit." And this was the Twi. Easiest sort in the building. Except for day sort.

cb1969

Direct deposit takes a few weeks...I even had to resign up for it...about the no work...that happens...if you are a driver may not mean as much...if you are pt seasonal in the building...sorry to say...it doesn't look good for you to continue working except when UPS really needs extra help...good luck though...hope it works out for you

UPSGUY72

no I was told on tuesday that if there was work on wednesday they would call me to come in...I got no phone call on wednesday (technically tuesday because my shift is preload), and ever since then I just stopped going.

Not good they probably think you quit. I would have called at least. I would call Monday morning or show up.

TheFigurehead

yea thats the thing this whole week since tuesday I just stopped showing up because that was wasting my gas that I dont have to waste...sup told me on tuesday that if there was work on wednesday that he would call me. Prior to that, I was being sent home randomly out of nowhere..so it starts to get insulting and annoying. I dont know what they are trying to prove by jerking people around like that...if you dont want me to work just let me know..I dont get the logic of having to be there in person to let me know I dont have to work.

That's UPS for you. I certainly am not one to defend management, typically, but your supervisor has no control over who gets hired, how many people get hired, or how much work there will be. You can certainly be irritated with UPS, but it's not the sup's fault. You are a new hire, and as such, haven't finished your probation. That being the case, you are not guaranteed any hours, and no one has to ask if you are willing to go home. They can send you home anytime they don't need you. After your probation ends, you are guaranteed 3.5 hours, and you have no obligation to forgo them for the benefit of UPS. It is what it is... fair or not. You won't get a lot of sympathy here... not because everyone is rude... but because we've all been there and it's just a part of getting a job at UPS.

As for why you get sent home... UPS has been in business a long time, and they know full well that for every 10 people they hire 7 - 8 of them won't last through their probationary period. 90% will stop coming or walk off their shift, and a few of them will get a "thanks, but no thanks," as they get to the end. It's impossible to tell (sometimes, anyway) who's going to fall out, so they always hire more than they need, and wait for the problem to work itself out. Add to that that you were hired for peak season, and all of the above goes doubly so.

This is, more or less, how you can expect things to go until you put in your time. Once that happens, a whole different world of senseless b.s. will open to you. UPS can be a frustrating place to work. It isn't like other places. There is no "team" (save for your coworkers)... to management you are, at best, a number on a page... at worst a piece of meat to be used up and cast aside. If you just go in, do your job, and let the bullsh:t roll of your back, you'll be fine. If you can't do that (alot of folks can't) you're going to end up quitting or being miserable every day of your life if you don't.

You are going to have to learn to be patient. If you are just looking for a job to pay your bills, you are probably in the wrong place. There is little benefit to working at UPS until you put in some time. No medical coverage, horrible pay, and lots of hard physical labor. If you give it some time, it all becomes worth while... but there are going to be alot of dues to pay.