Socks and Trucks!

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Irishman Collins, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Irishman Collins

Irishman Collins Active Member

Two more examples of failed Contract negotiations by Hoffa and hall! 1. For around 20 years government has mandated that private vehicles sold in the US must have lap safety belts and shoulder belts to reduce head injuries in collisions. Yet, our Union committee has continually failed to negotiate that UPS immediately replace all vehicles without said safety equipment. Secondly, our Union brain trust, still has been unable to negotiate that UPS socks be paid for by the company. It is ridiculous that the cost of socks seems to be an unachievable benefit for our current Union officials when negotiating our contract. We need new leadership that recognizes the things that UPSERS need for their safety and well being, not what our leaders need for reelection or to protect a "unsustainable" health or pension plan!

2. BostonBo

BostonBo Active Member

1) I hate the new seat belts. They tear up my shoulder reaching and pulling all day. Lap belts rule. 2) You're making a ton of money to do a job that no other company would pay you to do. Just suck it up, save the receipt, and use it as a tax write off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. Irishman Collins

Boston, I don't think you realize that we have collective bargaining and that is how we got to where we are currently. I am merely pointing out that our current leaders can't even negotiate the simplest of benefits for us

4. Inthegame

Inthegame Well-Known Member

And I almost told you I missed your posts, but then I read it and it all came back to me...

5. Irishman Collins

Yes, thanks for reminding me that your favorite drink is kool-aid! Lol!

6. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

I wear sock that look like hell because they are so old.

7. Oh Shoot

Oh Shoot Well-Known Member

I dont reach back and grab seatbelt I just put it around steering wheel

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

What would you be willing to give up for socks and lap belt?

9. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

Lap belt are grossly insufficient and ridiculous for a company of UPS's economic and supposed safety stature.
    The existence of these vehicles in our fleet, absent of retrofitting, is an abomination and yet another in a long line of company hypocrisies.

Also, you don't have to reach over your shoulder for the 3 point belt.
    It attaches at the seat, where I pass the latch from my left hand to my right, pull outward to achieve some slack and buckle.

10. Bubblehead

Why would we have to give up anything to a company on top of it's game, recording record profits?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. upschuck

They don't give you something extra for nothing. That is not how negotiations work.

12. Bubblehead

The Teamster have, they owe us few.

That aside, I disagree.
    You negotiate from a position of strength or weakness.
    Your assertion implies that the playing field is equal, which seldom the case.

13. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

I can't afford socks making over 100k. Life is so so so so so so hard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. upschuck

I guarantee you that whatever "concession" you see, that it was part of a bigger "deal", and not stand alone.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  15. Bubblehead

Can you afford to have your face smash into the windshield, then recoil the back of your head into the metal bulkhead, if you're involved in a serious accident in vehicle without a high back chair and 3 point seat belt?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Bubblehead

The "concessions" I've seen were in exchange for higher wages, so we can pay more dues and retreat into a lesser health care plan.

17. upschuck

Sooooooooooooo, you are complaining about making too much money? My HC got better.

18. wide load

wide load Well-Known Member

I can't believe the amount of people that live in a world of fantasy. Smh!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Bubblehead

I'd give it back to erase many of the other concessions....and your health care got better thanks to the Vote No movement, while theirs got worse.
    Your welcome.

20. upschuck

How long you got to work here? Let's say 5 more years, so you'd give up $20,000+ so you wouldn't have to pay a $200 deductible/year?