sorrows of a unloader

Jahrose

Sorry you fell for that BS they tell all the new peak employees that are hired during the free pierod. They don't dare say "we want to hire you for just a few weeks and no matter how many breaks you have skipped or how unsafe you worked trying to meet their numbers you will be let go (polite way of saying you are fired) right after Christmas".
Still dont understand. Why would they put me through a background check, interviews etc for a month of work. That costs money. Also i paid the union dues and the INT fee. WTF, I should not have to pay the union if i am temp employee. Why would a supervisor let you go, thats HR'S job. Should i call HR?

By The Book

Still dont understand. Why would they put me through a background check, interviews etc for a month of work. That costs money. Also i paid the union dues and the INT fee. WTF, I should not have to pay the union if i am temp employee. Why would a supervisor let you go, thats HR'S job. Should i call HR?
Supervisors do what HR tells them to. I agree, you shouldn't have to pay initiation fees as a seasonal but should pay your share of the dues. Once they hire you, yes on the initiation fee.

Jahrose

Incorrect, I was hired as a regular part time employee. There was some seasonal employees hired with me but I was the only one hired as a regular. Under article 22 section 5 I am guaranteed 3.5 hours a day, volume or no volume.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Technically if i am fired i can collect unemployment in CA.
As far as I know, the part of the union contract that covers California doesn't allow for seasonal employees, but they do have a much longer probationary period (I think it's 70 working days in 6 months). Have you called the union yet? It sounds like the company is trying to circumvent the contract. The union should be able to get you back to work, perhaps after a short layoff (maybe you can file for unemployment compensation while on layoff?). Of course, if you haven't completed the probationary period the company could start nitpicking reasons to disqualify you.
Call the union ASAP and talk to the Business Agent.

P

pickup

I haven't worked since the 24th. Was told I wasn't needed on Friday nor today...Hopefully they need me tomorrow..

The fact that they are even talking to you means that they probably will use you when it gets busier. If you haven't made your seniority yet, I wouldn't be filing grievances or rocking the boat. If you do either, the company may never need you again. Make your seniority first.

You've Got Mail

The fact that they are even talking to you means that they probably will use you when it gets busier. If you haven't made your seniority yet, I wouldn't be filing grievances or rocking the boat. If you do either, the company may never need you again. Make your seniority first.

I'm a seasonal full-time driver. The sup texts me saying I'm off today so I don't reply back. If it happens again tomorrow, I'll text him back saying I really want to work lol

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You can call whoever you want, it's not going to matter. If the volume is light, and they don't need you to work, you're not going to work. Seniority employees get the work first. You are a seasonal employee...if they decide to keep you on...work will be sporadic for awhile.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Incorrect, I was hired as a regular part time employee. There was some seasonal employees hired with me but I was the only one hired as a regular. Under article 22 section 5 I am guaranteed 3.5 hours a day, volume or no volume.
Umm...and do you have some UPS paperwork verifying your permanent status?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm a seasonal full-time driver. The sup texts me saying I'm off today so I don't reply back. If it happens again tomorrow, I'll text him back saying I really want to work lol

See the word I highlighted? You were hired as a seasonal driver. Maybe, just maybe, when vacations kick in and volume picks up, you will be called back.

For your sake, I hope so. Just don't count on it.

llamainmypocket

It's all about the contract and union representation. I believe peak starts in october and ups is not contractually obligated to give you seniority until you hit that date in non-peak days so there is no way you can be represented by the union.

Furthermore, i don't believe you can collect unemployment with less than a year working a job. You can have unemployment reactivated if you were on it but not a new claim.

Your best bet is to wait for your supervisor or HR to call you back to work and keep an eye on the webpage. Reapply when able.

To UPS you're not a wasted employee. This company has a very high turnover rate and that means it loses a lot of money to training employees. To have already been partially trained translates directly to a reduced training cost and HR knows this. You will get preferential treatment from HR compared to those with no experience.

To look at the positive side, when a seasonal employee is hired they will only start to accrue seniority after peak ends. But after they have obtained seniority that seniority date is thier original hire date during peak. If UPS lays you off and rehires you you still maintain your original seniority date. What this means is that if you are either kept on call or brought back that you will still keep your original hire date for purposes of raises and seniority positions. Essentially, if you stick around then you will get a free ride on those contracual obligations.

Good luck dude.

Jahrose

It's all about the contract and union representation. I believe peak starts in october and ups is not contractually obligated to give you seniority until you hit that date in non-peak days so there is no way you can be represented by the union.

Furthermore, i don't believe you can collect unemployment with less than a year working a job. You can have unemployment reactivated if you were on it but not a new claim.

Your best bet is to wait for your supervisor or HR to call you back to work and keep an eye on the webpage. Reapply when able.

To UPS you're not a wasted employee. This company has a very high turnover rate and that means it loses a lot of money to training employees. To have already been partially trained translates directly to a reduced training cost and HR knows this. You will get preferential treatment from HR compared to those with no experience.

To look at the positive side, when a seasonal employee is hired they will only start to accrue seniority after peak ends. But after they have obtained seniority that seniority date is thier original hire date during peak. If UPS lays you off and rehires you you still maintain your original seniority date. What this means is that if you are either kept on call or brought back that you will still keep your original hire date for purposes of raises and seniority positions. Essentially, if you stick around then you will get a free ride on those contracual obligations.

Good luck dude.
I never heard the word laid off. The job I applied for said 3.5 hours a day and more during peak season. It did not say peak season hours then no hours till we need you, I would of never applied. I have never been called seasonal I have a UPERS account, auto pay, union dues and even INIT dues. I feel very cheated and I would like some answers. If I am a seasonal employee why would I pay union dues and INIT dues, I would get nothing from it as they wont represent a seasonal employee, that my friend is pure theft.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I never heard the word laid off. The job I applied for said 3.5 hours a day and more during peak season. It did not say peak season hours then no hours till we need you, I would of never applied. I have never been called seasonal I have a UPERS account, auto pay, union dues and even INIT dues. I feel very cheated and I would like some answers. If I am a seasonal employee why would I pay union dues and INIT dues, I would get nothing from it as they wont represent a seasonal employee, that my friend is pure theft.
If you are in southern California, I would like to refer you to the Western Region Supplement to the National Master Agreement: http://teamster.org/upsupsf-contract-updates/ups-agreements-2013-2018
Specifically, Article 4 Section 1(c)-PROBATIONARY PERIOD (PART-TIME){page 183} & Article 5-SEASONAL PERIOD{page 184}.
Note that Article 5 defines seasonal employees as full time employees, which seems to imply that part time employees are not seasonal.

Call your Teamster Local & talk to the UPS Business Agent for your building, explain your situation, listen to what he or she has to say, and take notes of the conversation.

As far as the dues & fees you have paid, dues are required in a 'closed shop'; however, in my opinion, if in fact you don't end up making seniority as a permanent employee, you should ask about a refund of the initiation fee.

PT Car Washer

It is not theft. The company and the Union set this scam up all nice and legal in the contract. A lot of people are laid off after Peak. Some for a few days others longer. You will be called back just don't forget to keep paying those Union dues every week or month.

Jahrose

If you are in southern California, I would like to refer you to the Western Region Supplement to the National Master Agreement: http://teamster.org/upsupsf-contract-updates/ups-agreements-2013-2018
Specifically, Article 4 Section 1(c)-PROBATIONARY PERIOD (PART-TIME){page 183} & Article 5-SEASONAL PERIOD{page 184}.
Note that Article 5 defines seasonal employees as full time employees, which seems to imply that part time employees are not seasonal.

Call your Teamster Local & talk to the UPS Business Agent for your building, explain your situation, listen to what he or she has to say, and take notes of the conversation.

As far as the dues & fees you have paid, dues are required in a 'closed shop'; however, in my opinion, if in fact you don't end up making seniority as a permanent employee, you should ask about a refund of the initiation fee.
Yes it does say that, so the way i am taking it I am considered a part time union member and should not be let go after peak. I should be guaranteed my 3.5 hours a day, work or no work.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yes it does say that, so the way i am taking it I am considered a part time union member and should not be let go after peak. I should be guaranteed my 3.5 hours a day, work or no work.

Give. Me. A. Break.

Just because you worked a few weeks you should not be let go and you should be paid 3.5 hours whether you work or not?

Entitled ***.

Last edited by a moderator: