sorrows of a unloader

Jahrose

The hell its not a bait and switch. When they tell us that we will be there after the peak then just let us go and technically they have not laid us off. What the hell is that. i never heard of such a thing. I wish I had a iPhone recording when she said that. Either your employee working with hours or I got laid off after the peak, which I did not.

Jahrose

I mean they should of told us at the orientation that you would be laid off after the peak. I would not of wasted my time. And why would i pay union dues and a init fee if I am just a seasonal employee, that is plain wrong and may be illegal.

PT Car Washer

I mean they should of told us at the orientation that you would be laid off after the peak. I would not of wasted my time. And why would i pay union dues and a init fee if I am just a seasonal employee, that is plain wrong and may be illegal.
I agree that UPS was honest with seasonal employees not as many would take the job or work as hard. As far as being illegal I am sure UPS has some oily lawyers to make sure their backsides are covered. I also don't agree with charging seasonal employees initiation fees and Union dues unless they are kept on permanent.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Wah....if they told everyone that...who'd take the job? They kept a few seasonals in my center.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
giphy.gif

fres431

Since Nov. If I call the teamsters what will they say.
Then your a seasonal employee your services are no longer needed at this time. Thank you please return next year. If ya did good your be out on rehire list if ya sucked your SOL that's **** outa luck

PrimeUPS

The hell its not a bait and switch. When they tell us that we will be there after the peak then just let us go and technically they have not laid us off. What the hell is that. i never heard of such a thing. I wish I had a iPhone recording when she said that. Either your employee working with hours or I got laid off after the peak, which I did not.

You likely misheard them, there were probably some key words in that that you either didn't hear or didn't bother to clarify. Everyone hired after October 15th is seasonal. I know of no master IBT agreement or supplement that says otherwise; RTW state or not. If you know of something different, cite it. Peak Seasonal as it is treated in the CBA is NOT the same as "temporary". October 15-January 15, the rules are different. The contracts are specifically written that way.

That said, let's say for a minute you're right and HR gave your orientation class the butterflies with a "oh, yeah, you'll be back" speech. Some people may disagree, but I doubt the intent was deceptive. They maybe should have qualified it with "if you do well and get a rehire status". Either way, when it comes to employment nothing is given until it's on paper. That's why we have these things called offer letters, policy books, union books, and union forms. They all serve a contractual purpose whether you're management or union in governing the employer/employee relationship. I am 100% certain you didn't get such a thing from HR saying you were guaranteed anything, despite what you seem to think.

On that note, let's examine your current course of options and bitter belligerence. These 'simpletons' are trying to help you. I cannot emphasize this enough: if you want to work at UPS, do NOT burn a bridge. If they don't select that Eligible for Rehire box. You're done. Forever. The list NEVER goes away. It never expires, it never sunsets, it doesn't have a statute of limitations... as the movie quotes go friend O R E V E R! I don't know what you started as but if you want to bemoan the hard work and low pay or lack of hours, work some place else. It's pretty simple. The situation is always in your hands. If you want to get your hands dirty and work your way up like everyone else had to, then soldier up and do what you can to get called back. Learn the job, excel at it, and earn your way. Nobody at UPS is going to hand you anything. If you truly feel you were sold a bill of goods, go into HR, see a Steward, contact your Local and see what options there are. At the same time, the principle holds - don't ask, unless you're ready for the answer (good, bad, or indifferent).

In closing... nobody owes you anything. Not UPS. Not IBT. UPS is a union shop. You pay dues, seasonal or not. I know of no master or supplement that says otherwise. You just pay different dues based on varying circumstances and the laws of the state. UPS is a private, albeit publicly traded, company. It's not like a public union where laws exempt workers like SEIU. The bang you get for that buck is directly on you. It's like paying for utilities, you pay the power company a base rate whether you turn your lights on or not. If you don't like being in the union, do what is necessary to get into management and start on that path.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Since Nov. If I call the teamsters what will they say.
Maybe, just maybe, they (the teamsters) can explain the process to you. On this forum you are getting replies from people who don't know the union contract language and practices in your area. They are speaking from their experience in their area, and possibly from 10-20 years ago.

Get a notebook or pad of paper & a pen. Google "Teamster local union ups <your city or city your hub or center is in>". Call the union, ask to speak to the Business agent who represents the members in the hub or center you worked in. Explain your situation. Write down what he or she tells you. Find out what steps you and/or the union should take, follow through on your end.

It sounds to me like you are only about halfway through your probationary period, this is one of the things the Business Agent should explain to you. Also ask him/her if you should get a 'temporary withdrawal card' from the union, so you don't owe union dues for any month you aren't working.

If you end up not working for the company (for whatever reason), write a letter to the Principal Officer & Executive Board of the local union, asking for a refund of your initiation fee.

Last edited:

Jahrose

Thanks Hondo for all your info. i will call them, it cant hurt. Prime when somebody offers you a job and they did say we would all be there after the peak in my young mind I assume they are telling the truth. That is wrong that I have to pay dues and a init if i get nothing from the union and i am seasonal. In fact if I fought that I would win. Its like paying for food and not getting it.