spot lights

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by LeddySS98, Oct 15, 2007.

  1. LeddySS98

    LeddySS98 Member

    This year for peak i dont want to run the routes in the dark again solely using the vehicle headlights to pick off address.... I'm thinking about getting a spotlight... what are you guys using? the expensive ones, or just go with a cheapy cause they get dropped?
  2. upsgrunt

    upsgrunt Well-Known Member

    Call me old fashioned, but I always found the one house on the block with the porch light on and then counted. I think it helped after peak, because I can just about pull up to any house on my route without looking at the numbers anymore. Sometimes it scares me.
  3. 1timepu

    1timepu Member

    Do u have a helper??? make him get out at the first house on the block, but sometimes when yur flashing a light and trying to find the number you will hit their window a couple of times be careful, depending how far the houses are of the street will decide if you need a really strong one even with that u still have to get out cus the numbers are usually small
  4. edd_tv

    edd_tv Cardboard picker upper

    i have one of the medium size mag lite and a holder that attaches to your belt that i wear after dark. perfect size and hangs down on the side of the seat out of the way.
  5. AirDriverAmy

    AirDriverAmy New Member

    A senior driver in my center told me to do pretty much the same. To learn how the addresses run high to low / odds and even. I took time on the weekends to learn my area better.

    BLACKBOX Life is a Highway...

    Even though Christmas time most everyone has lighted decorations (thank God for that!) why is it those oversized wreaths are always blocking the address??

    I use a "Surefire" flashlight, best you can buy. Beam doesn't dissipate but stays true and bright.
  7. Just Lurking

    Just Lurking Member

    Run the same route for 10 years. Somedays I believe that I could run my route with my eyes closed. :closedeye

    Once you have a bid route you will forget addresses and start remembering names.
  8. faded jeans

    faded jeans just a member

    Surefire 6P flashlight. Small enough to fit in your shirt pocket so you can get to it quickly while driving. The design maintains a super bright spot beam that doesn't disperse. Not cheap, but if I lost it today I would replace it tomorrow. It's that good. Will easily pick up mailbox and house numbers. Makes reflective street signs light up as bright as daytime. Carry an extra set of the nickel cadium batteries because once they get low they drop off to nothing sharply. During peak I also use a small led light by Energizer on a neck cord. Good for reading pkg. labels and alerts others to your presence while walking around in the dark wearing brown clothes.
  9. cast

    cast New Member

    I used to use the large millon candle power spotlights when I was a cover driver, now that I have my own route I just use a surefire spendy but worth it. Small enough to put in your pocket but is very powerful. I use it mostly to light up the travel path to the house.
  10. browned_out

    browned_out Member

    :lol: I use a full size maglite, also doubles as a nice heavy baton incase someone tries to rob me of my pkgs.
  11. helenofcalifornia

    helenofcalifornia Well-Known Member

    So are these "surefire" flashlights available everywhere?
  12. Google

    Google New Member

    They are now making the smaller MagLites with LED bulbs. They are super bright and the batteries last longer. Try it, you'll LOVE it!
  13. MR_Vengeance

    MR_Vengeance United Parcel Survivor

    make sure you pick up a Glock 17 too........
  14. RedThunder

    RedThunder New Member

    They gave us LED lights in our center that you can wear around your hat
    or head, kinda like a miners light. Looks goofy as hell but it shines a bright light wherever you're looking and leaves your hands free. No substitute for experience though. I really don't have to look for house numbers anymore. You can buy them at autopart stores for around $15-$30.
  15. Covemastah

    Covemastah Suspension Ovah !!! Tom is free FU Goodell !!

    try using area knowledge that worked well before diads and shorts ha ha
  16. Cementups

    Cementups Box Monkey

    I could deliver 98.8% of my houses blindfolded and backwards so not really a need for a light. The other 1.2% I use th trusty old counting method.
  17. outta hours

    outta hours Active Member

    Just listen for the DIAD GPS mis-delivery tone. :wink:
  18. rushfan

    rushfan Well-Known Member

    I don't need one. I just turn on the headlight, marker, and road light switch on the trusty Mack CH600.