Staying/Getting Fit As A Delivery Driver: On Topic Please

Overpaid Union Thug

How does everyone stay healthy while working in package? Working out? Running or walking after work? Dieting? Or a combination of some or all of those?

For me delivering packages is one of the easiest manual labor jobs I've ever had. I slowly, but consistently, gained allot of weight from the time I started driving up until I finally realized it was starting to become a problem. Its easy to do without realizing it. We deliver to, or drive by, plenty of gas stations/convenient stores that sell plenty of unhealthy food and drinks. And they all seem to call out our names once we walk in. LOL! Then there is also plenty of fast food restaurants just begging for us to stop in for lunch. Hell, they didn't have to beg to get me in. LOL!

A while back I decided to cut out as much sugar and carbs from my daily intake as I could. I haven't touched any of the sugary garbage that I was eating and drinking that contributed to me gaining so much weight in almost 6 months. When I eat fast food I don't buy the combos. And I started using a calorie counting app and it has been awesome. I initially dropped ten pounds (probably mostly water weight) rather quickly and then started an exercise routine after work that consists of walking, pushups, squats, and various abdominal exercises and without using any free weights. The weight just fell right off. I lost 25% of my body weight. The calorie counting app won't let you not eat enough calories (assuming one is honest) so I didn't have to worry about losing too much too fast.

Most of us burn plenty of calories throughout the day but eating and drinking too much junk while doing so, combined with continuing that during our time off, more than puts back those calories. Look around and check out your co-workers during the next PCM. There are likely more overweight drivers than one would expect to see. Its easy to get to that point though. I didn't realize how bad I actually had gotten until my wife showed me a picture of myself that she had taken during our last vacation. Sometimes you have to lose that extra weight before you can see it. Especially that extra sogginess that forms on the face around the cheekbones and neck.

But now I'm maintaining a weight that falls in the range suggested by fitness experts for my height and drink only water and basically eat 5-7 smaller meals and snack a day. I feel lighter on my feet and definitely have more energy. There has been one problem though. I had to buy all new clothes! But I'll take having to drop a small fortune on new clothes over getting diabetes and a screwed up kidney and/or liver any day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of my weaknesses was soda.

I used to have at least one 20oz Pepsi everyday on road and 1-2 glasses w/dinner.

I stopped buying the 2 liters and will only buy the 20oz every once in a while.

I switched to sweetened iced tea.

I rarely if ever buy any food while on road.

6' 165 lbs.

rss13

I am in the opposite position. I started driving a year and a half ago. I was 210 pounds (I am 6'0"). I am now just over 170 and in the best shape of my adult life. I changed my diet considerably as well. I almost never eat anything that I didn't pack.

Overpaid Union Thug

I used to have at least one 20oz Pepsi everyday on road and 1-2 glasses w/dinner.

6' 165 lbs.

Only one and a couple for dinner? If I had being doing it your way I wouldn't have gained so much weight. I was so bad at times that I was drinking just as many sodas as I was bottled water during the hottest part of the year. LOL.

The funny thing is that, minus the massive reduction in sugar, I haven't really changed what I eat. I just ration it (so to speak) with that calorie counter. I just can't see myself ever giving up pizza. It's not gonna happen.

There are other benefits of being fit and eating and drinking right. One I really like is that the heat doesn't bother me anymore. Maybe that'll back fire in the winter though. I predict having to wear an extra layer or two of clothing to make up for the coat of "stored energy" I have burned off this year.

I am in the opposite position. I started driving a year and a half ago. I was 210 pounds (I am 6'0"). I am now just over 170 and in the best shape of my adult life. I changed my diet considerably as well. I almost never eat anything that I didn't pack.
I pack snacks but still buy my lunch on the route. My weight was WAAAAAY above what yours was but I'm maintaining at about what you're at now. I'm just under 6' so I was definitely past the obese threshold when I started. The scary thing is that I didn't even realize it until I googled "height and weight charts."

rss13

After I got qualified, I stopped running anything. Maybe on occasion if I am cutting it close on air. I had a desk job before (which is where I gained all the weight).

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I ate real light as a feeder driver during the week. apples and other fruit. packed a huge salad. water. that's it. ate regular meals on weekend.

since retired , eating 2-3 meals a day plus snacks but lost 10 pounds my first year. real happy about that.

just curious about retired package drivers. did you gain a lot of weight after retiring? you probably burned off 1000 calories a day or more humping boxes and your basil metabolism must have been higher. it must be hard to cut back on your diet to keep the weight off.

for feeder , it is just the opposite.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
5'9 142 #
No junk food, candy, sweets, soda...anything, ever. I even turn down birthday cake (I know, blasphemy)
I've surprised nurses doctors and others before when they know my weight, because I look 170. My only problem is overdoing exercise and etc...muscle strains can be painful and nagging, esp. in the extreme summer heat.

As far as package car, brown-bagging it and eating only what you bring with you is key...I can only echo the sentiments already spoken. But that goes for any situation, too.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

I use the My Fitness Pal app and highly recommend it. It, along with exercise, made losing weight a breeze. It's pretty damn accurate. Once I got down to my ideal weight I adjusted the goals within the app so that that i could maintain my weight. I'm now on a 2720 calorie "diet". There are plenty of days where I have to force myself to eat that much. Probably because I'm getting a lot of fiber and protein. And drinking as much water as I can. I do my strength exercises every day and my 30 minute cardio every other day.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I use the My Fitness Pal app and highly recommend it. It, along with exercise, made losing weight a breeze. It's pretty damn accurate. Once I got down to my ideal weight I adjusted the goals within the app so that that i could maintain my weight. I'm now on a 2720 calorie "diet". There are plenty of days where I have to force myself to eat that much. Probably because I'm getting a lot of fiber and protein. And drinking as much water as I can. I do my strength exercises every day and my 30 minute cardio every other day.
I go through the same thing with nearly forcing myself to eat enough caloric foods. Especially before sleep. One thing I dislike is sleeping on an empty stomach and waking up extremely hungry. At that point the stomach is eating itself.

MC0493

At the moment i couldn't imagine doing additional workouts besides work. Since i started in march i've probably lost close to 40 pounds and am also probably in the best shape i've been in a long time(only 22) I'm also eating much less while working a much more physically demanding job than my last.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

6' 165 lbs.
Sweetened tea isn't better. Try iced green tea for awhile. No sugar. You will like the results in how you feel.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sweetened tea isn't better. Try iced green tea for awhile. No sugar. You will like the results in how you feel.

I like Arizona Zero Green Tea with Ginseng - no sugar/no caffeine ... I drink about 5 - 6 gallons a week.
I start each day with a quart of PowerAde Zero which seems to get my system feeling right better than anything else.