Strike in Chicago?

Mike Hawk

Filthpig-

See YOU KNOW! You get what I'm saying!!

I'm not trying to be unreasonable. I care so much about the job I do. It drives me nuts to not do my job 100%. I have walked into other cars to bring down packages and seen horrible loads and it's driven me crazy!!! I want to stop and just fix things!

I'm someone who gives a crap about whether my drivers have a good day or not, or whether they are loaded stop for stop, or doing little things like toting their smalls for one bulk stop so that they don't get lost in the load. I'm also someone who others look at simply as a part timer who needs to stop whining about not getting enough money and go out and get a second job.
It's just disheartening.
Sometimes when I walk into other loaders trucks, I just loose a little faith in humanity. They don't understand simple things like stacking same size packages together to eliminate air gaps and wasted space, and they stack big boxes on top of smalls, tubes and flat packages on the shelves under other stuff, it's pathetic. I think to myself, "how does this person manage to drive here, or raise a child for that matter, that child is the future and is being raised by someone with the IQ of cheese, with similar motivation to do work".

tourists24

I believe the NMA has the same pay rate increase for part timers that it does for full timers. A seventy cent a year increase for a part timer making 12 bucks an hour is a significant increase percentage wise of six percent when the industry standard is usually around 2 percent.
Right and wrong about the wage increase for P/T. Increase for workers with seniority is the same as full timers. New hires work on a .50 raise except the last year, when they get .87. But even full timers dont actually get a .70 raise. It actually works out to 52.5 this and next contract year (both sides present it at an actual .70 wage increase). Of course your point about the industry standard (if accurate) would be a good point for arguement. Then again, I started at 9.00/hr almost twenty years ago.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Heffernan-

Has it ever occurred to you that not all part time employees aspire to go full time? Has it also occurred to you that many part time employees that have serious issues with the rate of pay have second and even third jobs? Has the possibility occurred to you that many part time employees attend college full time as well as work for UPS?

Belle
My post was not that long but every question you just asked were in the post. I should have said 75% of part timers in hindsight. But the rest of what I said, I stand behind.
Part timers progress in pay every year. The point is that you have to stick it out to be rewarded. You get the same amount of medical benefits as me and you work half as much. Shouldn't I be the one complaining ? NO I will not complain. We are all on the same team.

Except 705/710
They play by themselves.

Last edited:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
This is a typical day at ADDILT:

5.) Sort isle blows up litterally 10 mins later so the spothelp sorter is sent back, sup still working
6.) Flow spike to SD's so belts start going off now the whole wing is melting down.

Been happening for years. It was like that when I was there in the first half of this decade.

I remember one day I was bounced around between 4 different outbounds and the sort isle about 6 or 7 times.

HAHAHA.....That's what I did for OT (and my own brand of 'fun') :happy-very:.

Just a thought. You guys might be able to make things run better in your areas if you use and share some of the insight you have gained to keep things runing smoothly.

Would be an OUTSTANDING idea if UPS management LISTENED. I tried this approach. One of those docks I helped out for fun had the SAME problem every frigging night. I told the p/t supe that if he did this, this and that, he wouldn't get my OT bill. He refused to do it. I didn't care.....until I got off work at 11 p.m. on a Friday for the fifth night in a row helping his dock. On the following Monday, I refused his and a very classy full-time supe (and a friends) request to help the dock. The friend/t'er asked why. I spat in frustration and told him why this PD was melting down and how I fixed it. He refused to correct it. I knew he would when he figured out I was right. Sure enough....Wednesday night I walked by the dock and it was CLEAN for the first time in weeks. I walked by the friend/t supe and he called my name. I stopped, he walked up, firmly shook my hand and that was it. My point is....management seems to think hourlies are moronic pot heads. Some of them are but not all.

I do and the sup still ignores me! I been on the sort ilse almost 3 years now and i loaded for 2 years also. I pretty much know how to run my wing pretty well!

MY SOLUTION

New people must be brought in to fix the problems. A strike and/or contract negotiations will not solve anything.

The issue is the people involved at the higher levels of BOTH organizations. Both parties better take a long hard look at themselves before your arrogance ruins it for everybody else in brown.

Agreed. UPS is mired in '20's style management. Fresh faces do wonders for an organization.

Maybe the company wants to close down CACH. This is a good test to see if we can move the volume thru our exsisting buildings. I'm sure the company doesn't like having to negotiate over and over with all these local unions.

Forget it. Capt's building would be in constant meltdown. I was at ADDIL when CACH would have power outages. Horror doesn't describe the ADDIL operation when that happened. -Rocky

ups79

Been happening for years. It was like that when I was there in the first half of this decade.

HAHAHA.....That's what I did for OT (and my own brand of 'fun') :happy-very:.

Would be an OUTSTANDING idea if UPS management LISTENED. I tried this approach. One of those docks I helped out for fun had the SAME problem every frigging night. I told the p/t supe that if he did this, this and that, he wouldn't get my OT bill. He refused to do it. I didn't care.....until I got off work at 11 p.m. on a Friday for the fifth night in a row helping his dock. On the following Monday, I refused his and a very classy full-time supe (and a friends) request to help the dock. The friend/t'er asked why. I spat in frustration and told him why this PD was melting down and how I fixed it. He refused to correct it. I knew he would when he figured out I was right. Sure enough....Wednesday night I walked by the dock and it was CLEAN for the first time in weeks. I walked by the friend/t supe and he called my name. I stopped, he walked up, firmly shook my hand and that was it. My point is....management seems to think hourlies are moronic pot heads. Some of them are but not all.

Agreed. UPS is mired in '20's style management. Fresh faces do wonders for an organization.

Forget it. Capt's building would be in constant meltdown. I was at ADDIL when CACH would have power outages. Horror doesn't describe the ADDIL operation when that happened. -Rocky

I can only assume the voting ask you to stay.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Belle
My post was not that long but every question you just asked were in the post. I should have said 75% of part timers in hindsight. But the rest of what I said, I stand behind.
Part timers progress in pay every year. The point is that you have to stick it out to be rewarded. You get the same amount of medical benefits as me and you work half as much. Shouldn't I be the one complaining ? NO I will not complain. We are all on the same team.

Except 705/710
They play by themselves.
Hef if you have something to say say it! Your all over the place on your stance! Everything is over and you want to keep adding fuel to an already dead issue. Our contract is signed and if you go back to the threads from last year on the national i said that we would not except the national agreement.

You will see what i disagreed with and you can see we did not except alot of the language that you excepted. Maybe 705/710 should negotiate your next contract. I do believe that you had some issues back then but want to continue slamming us because we sttod up fro those issues that alot of you now have to work under fof almost 6 years.