Supes doing observations in Rental Cars

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It is obvious to anyone with a brain that the supes are doing these rides in order to meet a quota.

I was told by my on car he has to do 3 a week. I would have thought it would be more.

Maybe I missed it but I never saw anyone say different. Just because people don't respond does not mean they disagree.
Of course there is a quota - it is on management's QPR, balanced scorecard, etc.
OJS Rides, on-area observations are leading indicators of desired results in regards to safety, proper release of packages, productivity, etc.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Maybe I missed it but I never saw anyone say different. Just because people don't respond does not mean they disagree.
Of course there is a quota - it is on management's QPR, balanced scorecard, etc.
OJS Rides, on-area observations are leading indicators of desired results in regards to safety, proper release of packages, productivity, etc.

Sure, derail the thread:peaceful:

upsgrunt

It was Abraham Lincoln who said:

"It's amazing how much you can get done when you don't worry about who gets the credit"

upsgrunt

It applies to the concern for quotas, bonus's, QPR's, MIP's, and the overall desire to place oneself in a more favorable light by things that they monitor, but don't actually do- that kind of thing.

satellitedriver

I was only half joking when I made that post. I don't think you would get an accurate observation using a retired UPS driver. Plus, they would probably file a grievance on you for expecting too many OPORH.
Don't discount the abilities of your elders.
They-(whoever they are)- would not be able to file a grievance on me.
I / we would be just be independent contractors for the LLC -(that holds no assets to file a lien on)- that is an independent contractor billing UPS.
Our only job would be to photograph "wrong doers" in public places and sell the evidence to UPS.
Public domain rights of photography has been upheld in the courts.
Just ask Google.
To further protect employees, each must work under a licensed Private Investigator.
-(meaning being 18yrs old, clean criminal history and being able to pass an exam)-
Triple layer of armor against any litigation.

Grievance/lawsuit proof protection for all "Brown Eye"-(name pending)- independent contractors.
"Brown Eye"-(name pending)- motto will be ;
"We only see what we are paid to see."
As a fully independent LLC, our services will be offered to any union that wishes evidence that supervisors are doing union work or violating contractual agreements.

Joking aside,
I can hear some bean counters gears turning trying to calculate the cost saving of out sourcing the stupidity.

BrownArmy

They are going out in pairs and they will always have something to say you did wrong .they even wrote up a 25yr man for not using handrail 1 time.

I was told by a pretty-decent full-time sup (that lasted about 1 year) that they HAVE to find about two or three things wrong with whatever driver they are observing...

Yet another reason to follow the methods...

I'm a method's man, but honestly, I don't use the hand-rail 100% of the time.

To follow drivers around and gig them on not using the hand-rail seems counter-productive to me.

Goofy...I understand that there is a system in place for observing drivers and that makes sense in the larger picture, but as a driver when you're guilty from the get-go it doesn't engender a good working relationship with your supervisors.

On my last ORO a sup busted me for not using the hazards...turns out the hazards weren't working (relay?). I showed said sup the non-operational hazards, then sup said, "Oh yeah, also you should fold in your mirrors 100% of the time!"...on a road an airplane could land on.

Like I said, I'm a methods man, but folding in your mirrors 100% of the time is retarded. If it makes sense, I fold the mirror in, but most of the time, if someone hits the mirror, it's because they hit the whole damn truck...

Ok-so I've been reading this site for quite some time. This finally broke me and I had to put my thought in. Rental cars?? Really?? Most of the people that post on here with regularity are stock holders-therefore, maybe its cheaper to rent a car. Trust me, those on road sups would definately love to have the mileage to claim every month. At what point do people realize that we all are under challenges everyday? From the preloader, sorter, clerk, loader, pkg driver, feeder driver, p/t sup, manager, district manager to the ceo. We work for a challenging company. Its been here for 102 years. You don't think it was hard before us? We are good because we do what we do. From the top to the bottom-everyone has their own personal challenges everyday. Its called a job-not a right to a paycheck. It's not easy. UPS didn't ask us, we all needed a job at some point in our lives-we asked UPS. The sense of entitlement that is shown on this board is literally scary to me. We are entitled to our paycheck. This is not the same company any of us started working for-we have changed. Like it or not-its the truth. And truth be told-if management and hourly don't change with it we will be another case study in a business school. A mighty company that went under. We are better than that. Everyone can now quote how much we make a year-yes it is great, but package cars aren't cheap. Uniforms aren't cheap. I read about several gripes concerning a uniform. Yes-ur browns might be shredded, you need new ones. However, for every one of you-there are 10 people who just want new uniforms. Do that across the US. Try to put a dollar figure on it. Are there problems-yes. Can they all be fixed tomorrow? No. In the end we all have a job-it pays well and I promise you, take any person with a desire to work and they would stand on the corner for days in order to drive a package car or a tractor, manage a center, or sell the business. We have to be thankful for what we have and realize we live in a time of change. If we don't change as a corporation from the guys in the district office trying to make a profit or the package car driver trying to run scratch when he has 5 misloads then we will fail at the end. And to be honest-if the company fails-everyone loses. And from the top to the bottom-if that day ever came EVERYONE would suffer.

Blakely656

Most management changes have been counter-productive to customer service & production. All decisions come from Atlanta; where due to hiring practices , no one is left who understands what would save money & improve customer service. They speed up preload by using "preload assist" resulting in more misloads & crushed packages & longer driver selection time.
Managerium
The heaviest element known to science is Managerium.

This element has no protons or electrons, but has a nucleus made up of 1 neutron, 2 vice-neutrons, 5 junior vice-neutrons, 25 assistant vice-neutrons, and 125 junior assistant vice- neutrons all going round in circles.

Managerium has a half-life of three years, at which time it does not decay but institutes a series of reviews leading to reorganization.

Its molecules are held together by means of the exchange of tiny particles known as morons.

Management new hires are inexperienced yes men who know only what they are told by DMs & Atlanta...

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Great use of company money.... I can see FedEx stock holders reading this stuff and smiling

UPS heading to the cliff and thinking its a nice view.

satellitedriver

Ok-so I've been reading this site for quite some time. This finally broke me and I had to put my thought in. Rental cars?? Really?? Most of the people that post on here with regularity are stock holders-therefore, maybe its cheaper to rent a car. Trust me, those on road sups would definately love to have the mileage to claim every month. At what point do people realize that we all are under challenges everyday? From the preloader, sorter, clerk, loader, pkg driver, feeder driver, p/t sup, manager, district manager to the ceo. We work for a challenging company. Its been here for 102 years. You don't think it was hard before us? We are good because we do what we do. From the top to the bottom-everyone has their own personal challenges everyday. Its called a job-not a right to a paycheck. It's not easy. UPS didn't ask us, we all needed a job at some point in our lives-we asked UPS. The sense of entitlement that is shown on this board is literally scary to me. We are entitled to our paycheck. This is not the same company any of us started working for-we have changed. Like it or not-its the truth. And truth be told-if management and hourly don't change with it we will be another case study in a business school. A mighty company that went under. We are better than that. Everyone can now quote how much we make a year-yes it is great, but package cars aren't cheap. Uniforms aren't cheap. I read about several gripes concerning a uniform. Yes-ur browns might be shredded, you need new ones. However, for every one of you-there are 10 people who just want new uniforms. Do that across the US. Try to put a dollar figure on it. Are there problems-yes. Can they all be fixed tomorrow? No. In the end we all have a job-it pays well and I promise you, take any person with a desire to work and they would stand on the corner for days in order to drive a package car or a tractor, manage a center, or sell the business. We have to be thankful for what we have and realize we live in a time of change. If we don't change as a corporation from the guys in the district office trying to make a profit or the package car driver trying to run scratch when he has 5 misloads then we will fail at the end. And to be honest-if the company fails-everyone loses. And from the top to the bottom-if that day ever came EVERYONE would suffer.
Do you take your kool aid cherry or grape flavored?

hypocrisy

Banned
This was mentioned in another thread and I witnessed it the other day. A Supe came to pick up a misload (great use of mgmnt) and he was driving a car with out of state plates. I said what's up with the ILL. plates and he said it's so drivers don't recognize us. As a shareholder I'm outraged. What is with this mgmnt obsession with being sneaky? What is the long term objective of this policy? When they observe you and they ask if you saw them (yes them, it sometimes takes 2 to accomplish this important function) they get all pumped up over their stealth. Give me a break. I love it when they don't find anything and they have to dig deep to come up with something. Rental Cars? Come on.

I assume you filed for the time and mileage for the supervisor doing bargaining unit work. We also filed every time they would bring us out 'left in building' packages. It will easily surpass the daily cost of that rental car I assure you.

over9five

Staff member
I assume you filed for the time and mileage for the supervisor doing bargaining unit work. We also filed every time they would bring us out 'left in building' packages. It will easily surpass the daily cost of that rental car I assure you.

+1!

browniehound

Is that really the sense you got out of that? The fact that they are putting so many miles to spy on drivers to begin with is no concern at all? I can only speak for my center, but with 4 driver supervisors on the road at least 4 days out of the week, this seems to make sense to you? This is the most effective way to use an on car. I know they are on car sups, but I didnt imagine this kind of "on car"

Reading these posts makes me laugh and dumbfounds me on Corporate's philosophy. For example, I get questioned and a report is produced every day for nickel and dime things while management pees away 10 driver's nickel and dime transgressions in 2 hours by burning 50 miles of UPS fuel without producing 1 cent in revenue.

Day in and day out I hear about my idle time being 2 minutes over its "baseline", or I get talked to because I went 1.5 miles off route (need to find a warm place to spend an hour because I can't idle the truck) for lunch. Despite my "wastefullness", I'm being the most productive laborer in the industry as are all drivers. Our efficiency is what makes the company profitable and not some college drop-out supervisor following us around in a rental car!

What does he bring to the table? I'll tell you what he brings. He brings an enormous cost that must be made up by the driver's SUPER productivity.The rental car and the 50 miles a day to spy on drivers is good for business? How?

I'll even take the side that if you catch a driver doing something unsafe it might save money if it could prevent an injury. Problem is bad habits die hard and its unlikely that the guilty driver will change his habits once the manager is gone despite being written up.

How can you bust my chops for driving .5 miles more than I should when we have 3 sups. per center driving rental cars and buring 15 gallons of fuel each per week? All this without bringing a dime! At least we are delivering the goods that make the company money. I don't get it...

browniehound

Like I said, I'm a methods man, but folding in your mirrors 100% of the time is retarded. If it makes sense, I fold the mirror in, but most of the time, if someone hits the mirror, it's because they hit the whole damn truck...

I never fold the mirrors in and I don't care what UPS says. I don't do it because with the mirror folded in I CAN'T SEE the approaching traffic. They want us to fold the mirror in so it doesn't get hit? But its OK to put your arm out there blindly to fold it out before you pull into traffic? They don't want a mirror cracked but its OK to lose a forearm?

At first I heeded UPS' advice and put the mirrors in. However, when I went to pull them out I heard truck after truck whiz by me and didn't want to stick my arm out there (and certainly not my head to look!) because I've been scraped by another truck in that area of the vehicle more than once.

I'm not pulling the mirrors in. They can have there avoidable accident if somone breaks the $10 mirror, I'd rather keep my arm...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How can you bust my chops for driving .5 miles more than I should when we have 3 sups. per center driving rental cars and buring 15 gallons of fuel each per week? All this without bringing a dime! At least we are delivering the goods that make the company money. I don't get it...

The supervisors have to justify their jobs. You dont.

They dont generate any revenue, so they must instead generate reports in order to perpetuate the illusion that they are contributing something to the company.

At the end of the day, at least I have the satisfaction of looking at my truck and knowing that I took it out full of deliveries and brought it back full of pickup volume.

I service the customers. Management services the metrics.