surepost

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Anyone else delivering a lot of surepost to businesses? I've seen a big spike lately and surepost is only supposed to be for residentials.

FilingBluesFL

Maybe people are just ordering a lot of personal stuff to their business instead of their house...?

That seems to be most of what I'm delivering to businesses, is their personal stuff.

Random_Facts

They also deliver to the post office, (unless we are talking about two different things). I get the honor of helping the guy across the belt from me. "Scanning" all the sure post that comes down. Everyone has at least one post office on their line. Our belt gets the main hub, (oh goodie). I scan anywhere from 250-300 and it's not even christmas yet. Management yells "every box has to fit into a bag" therefore I fill up anywhere from 60-80 bags a day. Unless of course it's too big for one. Now the kicker is, they were supposed to scan the smalls in the back wall area, but that lasted only a day. Lazy people. It's not easy scanning the post office, while loading the 3 business trucks while being in the middle of the belt.

QKRSTKR

What is UPS SurePost?

UPS SurePost® is an economy, residential, ground service.

This service combines the consistency and reliability of the UPS Ground network with final delivery typically provided by the U.S. Postal Service.

Note: UPS My Choice® Members can upgrade a UPS SurePost package to UPS Ground for an additional fee. Once upgraded, Members can use the features available with their Membership to reschedule or redirect delivery to an alternate address or to The UPS Store®. And upgraded packages typically arrive one day earlier.

Become a UPS My Choice Member

Always suppose to have been resi only. And not the big crap it turned into.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I am actually happy with the new system that kicks sure post back onto our trucks. I.think that, if it works properly, it is a fair.balance for the union and the company. UPS has a competive comprable service to offer and the work stays on our drivers if possible.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am actually happy with the new system that kicks sure post back onto our trucks. I.think that, if it works properly, it is a fair.balance for the union and the company. UPS has a competive comprable service to offer and the work stays on our drivers if possible.

I have asked my mgt team and no one seems to know the answer-----is the shipper "back charged" for the upgrade in service when we retain a Surepost for delivery?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
No. We do it to save ourselves money when a driver is close enough to the surepost destination address to make it cost effective if projected volume is low enough to make it feasible per my local.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No. We do it to save ourselves money when a driver is close enough to the surepost destination address to make it cost effective if projected volume is low enough to make it feasible per my local.

How would that save money? I would think that it would be cheaper for us to deliver them to the Post Office rather than delivering them ourselves. Our driver is going there anyway and it costs the same to deliver 10 bags rather than 9. I think that is a concession on the company's part and has nothing to do with saving money.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How would that save money? I would think that it would be cheaper for us to deliver them to the Post Office rather than delivering them ourselves. Our driver is going there anyway and it costs the same to deliver 10 bags rather than 9. I think that is a concession on the company's part and has nothing to do with saving money.

Because ups pays the post office something like 90 cents? For every package we drop off there and they deliver. By delivering those boxes to houses we are already going to ups gets to keep that money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Because ups pays the post office something like 90 cents? For every package we drop off there and they deliver. By delivering those boxes to houses we are already going to ups gets to keep that money.

I can see that for houses that we are already going to but I have been getting diverted Surepost packages for adjacent addresses as well.

Believe me, I would much rather see us get the work, but not at a loss.

They pay the post office $1.85 per package. The main goal is full time job elimination!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have a PO in a village that typically gets one package a day and all of the stops are in the village, none are rural. Many times I just deliver to the house. It's faster then wading thru social hour at the Post Office.