Swift trailers everywhere

cosmictrucker

counting the months
What the heck is this company doing using Swift Transportation trailers? Are we renting them for peak, or is something else going on.

Forcing me to pull that junk is worse than some of the rail boxes currently in the fleet

raceanoncr

What the heck is this company doing using Swift Transportation trailers? Are we renting them for peak, or is something else going on.

Forcing me to pull that junk is worse than some of the rail boxes currently in the fleet

I have to respectively disagree here. The last two years, I pulled those PKGZs (100%, or rather as CACH, the building, not the poster here, labels them, 97,98 or 99%). Had 4 blowouts, one I had to change when switching, meet man didn't know the whole tire was gone, along with the mud flap bracket and part of the rear light. Lights hanging from the top, not secured. Expired inspection stickers. Air leaks. DOT tape on the sides and back completely invisible or gone. Door came open while still sealed, yes, the bolt on the one-handle door just decided to come loose and jar the handle up and open (luckily, for once, CACH put a load-lock in and I don't think I lost anything). Leg cranks either don't work or you need 3 men and a boy to crank it.

UPS made a good decision here.

And, yes, it is peak. Locally, UPS has used diff company trailers starting at peak. If we can handle it w/peak people or our own network, then we pull em. If not, somebody else pulls em. Here, nobody wants to work. I hear company's tried to hire many but either flunked or quit.

Kevin211

heard something like 17,000 were rented for peak...nice equipment as far as i can tell...I just tell the swift drivers, union can haul it better then you non's can. Really rattels there chain.

They`re falling out of the sky here. Like Race has said they are tons better than the rolling outhouses they used to get. Some are brand new. Just watch how you turn with the ones with the skirts. A few guys have bent them straddling curbs and such.

over9five

Staff member
I have to respectively disagree here. The last two years, I pulled those PKGZs (100%, or rather as CACH, the building, not the poster here, labels them, 97,98 or 99%). Had 4 blowouts......

I had a PKGZ today with a cut up inside duallie. Don't they pre-trip at CCHIL????

They`re falling out of the sky here. Like Race has said they are tons better than the rolling outhouses they used to get. Some are brand new. Just watch how you turn with the ones with the skirts. A few guys have bent them straddling curbs and such.

Lots of companies buying those. Will we???

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Old trucker joke. Question: What does SWIFT stand for? Answer: Sure Wish I'd friendinished Training. Their drivers are best avoided on the highway.

raceanoncr

Old trucker joke. Question: What does SWIFT stand for? Answer: Sure Wish I'd friendinished Training. Their drivers are best avoided on the highway.

Ain't hard to do. The name SWIFT has got to be a misnomer. WHEREVER you are, WHATEVER the speed limit is, SWIFT is always SLOWER!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Saw a few at Worma last nite !! I also saw some railboxes at Worcester rail with the RTMTZ prefix never saw those before !!

bluehdmc

Ain't hard to do. The name SWIFT has got to be a misnomer. WHEREVER you are, WHATEVER the speed limit is, SWIFT is always SLOWER!
All there trucks are governed for 65 (used to be 55)

Also stand for See What I friend**dup Today

Backwards it's Two :censored2:s In White Sleeper

Saw a few at Worma last nite !! I also saw some railboxes at Worcester rail with the RTMTZ prefix never saw those before !!

In NJ we used to pick up a bunch of TIP boxes that were stored in a yard in Newark, they were FSTZ's, CFKZ's, SFTZ's, etc. Last year we didn't pick up any extra's, just got a bunch from Swift, supposedly UPS got a better deal. Swift is supposed to be the largest truckload carrier in the country but their volume is probably down.

I went to the railyard and got some other alphabet z box, basically it was a premier trailer leasing trailer. The only real problem is they are all 53'
Like someone else said the PKGZ's are all junk, I think part of the problem with the hard to crank landing gear is the shifters in the railyards drop the trailers when they're a foot of the ground.

raceanoncr

Like someone else said the PKGZ's are all junk, I think part of the problem with the hard to crank landing gear is the shifters in the railyards drop the trailers when they're a foot of the ground.

UP yard here used to do it on purpose. Picker used to be one-person job. He/she would go around pulling pin on all the railcars, then get in picker/packer and hoist em all down. No one there to lower legs so they just dropped em on the ground and highballed around the corner to watch us.
Some of the rookies would hand crank em up or drive alongside sideways to air em up on the air/hydraulic trailers. Me? Guess what I did.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
UP yard here used to do it on purpose. Picker used to be one-person job. He/she would go around pulling pin on all the railcars, then get in picker/packer and hoist em all down. No one there to lower legs so they just dropped em on the ground and highballed around the corner to watch us.
Some of the rookies would hand crank em up or drive alongside sideways to air em up on the air/hydraulic trailers. Me? Guess what I did.

I watched someone try to get under and "pick one up" like that one night. It didn't go well, especially since he really took a run at it.