Swings cover CSA's?

whatnthe

We were told that CSA's would be bidding vacation with the couriers and that the swings would cover a CSA on vacation. WTF:angry:? Has anyone seen this happen before? This can't be the new policy can it?

Goldilocks

We were told that CSA's would be bidding vacation with the couriers and that the swings would cover a CSA on vacation. WTF:angry:? Has anyone seen this happen before? This can't be the new policy can it?

A quick call to Memphis Personel will put a stop to that. They did that for a while at our station until someone made the call and it ended very quick.

Maui

When I worked as a handler we bid vacation with the couriers because couriers generally covered the open positions from vacation. When I worked as a swing at a different location I covered CSAs, but we did not bid vacation together.

The policy is that anyone can work down classification. Swings can basically cover all positions since they are in the highest pay category. They can cover feeder agents, couriers, csa, and handlers. You can not work "up classification" since you are not paid accordingly.

I've worked at 3 locations, one of which is CE network, and never had CSA bid with couriers, but if couriers are covering the position I do not see how this is any different than bidding with handlers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I'd do it, and then just sit there and do basically nothing because I had not been trained to be a CSA. Ask for formal CSA training, and then call HR and tell them you're being put in a position where you are set-up to fail.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Yeah,
Just b'c you're a swing doesn't mean you know how to run the front counter.
I've never seen one of our swings cover the front counter.

Maui

Covering the counter is pretty easy. Returns are not fun and traces can be difficult even for seasoned CSA. It should be no problem to have a swing accept and release packages over the counter and have other CSA cover the other tasks. If the POS is too difficult for someone to learn, in which case that person shouldn't be a courier either IMO, then you can accept and release packages with the PPAD.

Covering the position really is no big deal. You'd mostly just be working the counter and could have plenty of downtime. Bidding vacation together might be a problem though since many CSA have seniority.

overflowed

Covering the counter is pretty easy. Returns are not fun and traces can be difficult even for seasoned CSA. It should be no problem to have a swing accept and release packages over the counter and have other CSA cover the other tasks. If the POS is too difficult for someone to learn, in which case that person shouldn't be a courier either IMO, then you can accept and release packages with the PPAD.

Covering the position really is no big deal. You'd mostly just be working the counter and could have plenty of downtime. Bidding vacation together might be a problem though since many CSA have seniority.

Ya, I don't see any swing saying I won't do that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Hey, here's the deal. Nobody should have to perform a job for which they are not trained, especially at this hell-hole. If you eff-up a package or do something wrong, think they'll cut you slack? Like Nancy Reagan used to say,"Just Say NO"!!

SmithBarney

A few of the Stations I've worked have had Swings that do CSA work, they are trained as so much as running the counter.
Technically they should probably get CSA training, but since NONE of our CSAs have ever gone to a class, I doubt it will happen
all our CSAs were trained in house by older CSAs(probably the reason that we do stuff here that hasn't been done for years elsewhere)

Maui

Hey, here's the deal. Nobody should have to perform a job for which they are not trained, especially at this hell-hole. If you eff-up a package or do something wrong, think they'll cut you slack? Like Nancy Reagan used to say,"Just Say NO"!!

I understand where you're coming from, but if I am a swing and I want or need hours I will work the counter. The majority of the training for the POS is STA based anyway, so you would not really be missing anything if you get some OJT there to start. To just say no would be taking an effective pay cut and could possibly result in discipline.

whatnthe

The whole concept is petty. The premise is to save some OT, but how much does a topped out swing make compared to a topped out CSA? Plus, paying the 35 hr minimum for the swing to cover a PT CSA, how does that save any $$$. Its also worse for the CSA regarding their bidding. The CSA can get any week they want pretty much, but now they might be bidding behind enough drivers to kiss prime weeks goodbye. So in the end it a)won't save that much money b) lowers the service level to the customer c) irritates the couriers and d) risks the CSA vacation.......sounds perfect.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I thought that CSA's were their own entity now, akin to being part of kinko's? My station has them seperate unto themselves for everything. We're not even allowed to work with them for light duty anymore and it's been that way for several years.

A

Amigonnamakeit

I thought that CSA's were their own entity now, akin to being part of kinko's? My station has them seperate unto themselves for everything. We're not even allowed to work with them for light duty anymore and it's been that way for several years.
That's the way it is at my station too.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Correct. Plus, CSA's have some sort of "total customer experience" thing happening (I forget the acronym). But, basically, they don't want a courier who can't do traces etc. dealing with our precious customers. Customers are supposed to only have contact with fully-trained CSA personnel.

SmithBarney

Correct. Plus, CSA's have some sort of "total customer experience" thing happening (I forget the acronym). But, basically, they don't want a courier who can't do traces etc. dealing with our precious customers. Customers are supposed to only have contact with fully-trained CSA personnel.

HAH if total customer experience is what our one CSA delivers, than you can forget about it. I've witnessed on many occassions
rudeness, customers complain about this CSA. Personally I'd have a hard time as a customer dealing with this CSA... yikes!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I understand where you're coming from, but if I am a swing and I want or need hours I will work the counter. The majority of the training for the POS is STA based anyway, so you would not really be missing anything if you get some OJT there to start.

As a courier, I worked too many nights to count at the front counter. It's a very easy job. Easy hours.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I understand where you're coming from, but if I am a swing and I want or need hours I will work the counter. The majority of the training for the POS is STA based anyway, so you would not really be missing anything if you get some OJT there to start.

As a courier, I worked too many nights to count at the front counter. It's a very easy job. Easy hours.

The hardest part is not getting pissed off at the lazy CSA's. I work circles around them because I'm still in "courier mode".