Tax updates

rod

Retired 22 years
My wife tries to keep ours at between + or - $200 refund or owe. Shes really good at it. We pay quarterly taxes. The chances are that anyone who has a big refund coming has paid in too much to begin with. I would rather play with my own money all year long rather than letting Uncle Sam have at it.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
thanks for the info. we were wondering about that 1099-c or that form you need now showing proof of health insurance.

*1095-C (is what I assume you are talking about....1099 C is for Cancellation of Debt).....and it's not required this year because the time frame of it's delivery was pushed back to March 31st. So, complete your taxes as usual. No need to worry about that new insurance tax form.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
The earliest you would get your refund is two weeks.

I filed my taxes on Jan 23rd of last year, which was a Friday. That was more than likely the same day that ADP posted our W2. I can confirm that my refund was deposited in my bank account on Jan 30th, 2015.

I'm sure a lot of factors go into the length of time it takes to process a tax refund, but I was pleasantly surprised with the 7 day turnaround last year. So, who knows....

FeeDerp

I would rather play with my own money all year long rather than letting Uncle Sam have at it.

Yup.

It's essentially an interest free loan you give the gov.

Anyone elses goodwill store or similar, give you blank receipts that you write up yourself? Every year I always seem to donate multiple couches and tv's......

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yup.

It's essentially an interest free loan toy give the gov.

Anyone elses goodwill store or similar, give you blank receipts that you write up yourself? Every year I always seem to donate multiple couches and tv's......

You can write off up to $250 of charitable donations without a receipt.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
And for those who have trouble understanding how allowances work, https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-too...heck-and-Still-Get-a-Tax-Refund/INF12107.html is a wonderful "rule of thumb" to use.

Don't be afraid to choose as many allowances as you wish in order to get your refund amount as close to 0 as you are comfortable with. People get nervous to claim "too many" allowances, but the truth is that you can do what you please within reason. The only thing you want to avoid is changing the amount over and over again from month to month.

BigSlim

Yeah it was but it looks like I can't get in with it. I'll just have to wait for the copy to be mailed to me.
I was a seasonal and was able to login to upsers, set up direct deposit, view paychecks, etc. Also able to set up an account with ADP, although the W-2 hasn't shown up there yet...

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the way the interest rates have been i would rather let uncle sam hold the money . my bank interest earned last year was about 5 dollars. my refund was 3800. if i received an extra 70 a week in my paycheck i probably would have saved very little of it.

we went to Hawaii with that refund. so it kind of works both ways.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My wife tries to keep ours at between + or - $200 refund or owe. Shes really good at it. We pay quarterly taxes. The chances are that anyone who has a big refund coming has paid in too much to begin with. I would rather play with my own money all year long rather than letting Uncle Sam have at it.
I usually owe another 6 -7 thousand.
I had to pay a $12 penalty one year.