Teamsters Applaud Treasury Decision to Deny CSPF Cuts, Protect Retiree Pensions

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Maybe so.

I thought there was, with this plan ?

Honestly....

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.

I've never dealt with the mechanics and didn't know their plan, at all.

It's kind of like a state of disbelief.

Don't forget.... I am out of UPS.

That "opinion" is mainly derived out of constant criticism from the freight members.

Maybe hearing it so often, has left me jaded.

The running joke amongst people serving in elected positions is;

"Today you're a hero.... tomorrow, you're a zero."

I wasn't trying to turn this in to a pissing contest. ;)

-Bug-

I don't think it is a pissing contest. It is a spirited debate without any name calling.

And no, there is no SS offset. They have a Social Security Option, where they can elect to take an increased pension, over what they have earned, until they turn 62 and start collecting SS.

They then get a reduction in their pension after 62, not because of the SS benefits, but because they chose to take a higher pension to allow them to retire early until their SS benefits kicked in. The lower pension after 62 balances out the higher pension before 62.

And it is a voluntary option they nobody has to take.

10 point

I wasn't trying to turn this in to a pissing contest. ;)

-Bug-
It's not really a "contest" with four people "pissing" on one person that's trying to share information from a truthful source.

That's how it is on here. The "no matter what the truth is we support Hoffa and slander the opposition" (aka union brothers or bro as one parrot calls it mockingly) vs common folk that fight the good fight with watered down, two faced support.
We believe in accountability. That's all we ask for since we're paying for it.

I once managed a restaurant where an older couple used to frequent for supper. They fought all the time...even in public.
The train conductor that witnessed what was going on when they drove their car on to the railroad tracks and were killed before his very eyes said the man and woman were verbally fighting and didn't realize that the train was coming.

Maybe there's a lesson to learn from that horrible but true story.
Stop the lies and wake up.
The train is coming.
Bro.

P.S.
This isn't especially aimed at you bug. The ones that should own it know who they are since the shoe fits a few on here.

Last edited:

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
That, and the fact that 10 Point brought it up as to what some mechanics were projected to get for their pensions and people were quick to drag him through the mud calling BS.
It's all hearsay. Just have one of these recent retirees to post a picture of their pension check.

10 point

It's all hearsay. Just have one of these recent retirees to post a picture of their pension check.
Yeah, sure it is.
Just like the mortgage statement i get from the bank. It's just hearsay too.

One more time. Our mechanic got a document with his name and employee ID listed in the body of the report that validated what he'd get if he retired in about 15 months. The plan is easy to research and if there are mechanics that are not getting what they were promised then we'd be hearing from and about them by now. He's not retired yet but he'd give me a copy to post if he was.
IF they were denied 50% of what they were promised in their inquiry letter most of them would still be better off than us in CS by far.
It's too little too late at this point but it's educational and enlightening watching some on here squirm.
Why don't YOU prove all this evidence to be wrong instead of spewing out your hearsay?

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Yeah, sure it is.

One more time. Our mechanic got a document with his name and employee ID listed in the body of the report that validated what he'd get if he retired in about 15 months. The plan is easy to research and if there are mechanics that are not getting what they were promised then we'd be hearing from and about them by now. He's not retired yet but he'd give me a copy to post if he was.
IF they were denied 50% of what they were promised in their inquiry letter most of them would still be better off than us in CS by far.
It's too little too late at this point but it's educational and enlightening watching some on here squirm.
Why don't YOU prove all this evidence to be wrong instead of spewing out your hearsay?
My only question for your mechanic is.....with your pension at 10k a month to stay home retired.....why are you working for 5k a month?

10 point

My only question for your mechanic is.....with your pension at 10k a month to stay home retired.....why are you working for 5k a month?
He's only worked there approx 13.5 yrs and is over 50 yrs old. I guess he started there late in life like I did. He said that he doesn't care to work there past the age of 55. $3000/mo is just fine because he'll do his own thing after that.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

He's only worked there approx 13.5 yrs and is over 50 yrs old. I guess he started there late in life like I did. He said that he doesn't care to work there past the age of 55. $3000/mo is just fine because he'll do his own thing after that.
Sorry I thought I read in an earlier post he was a 30 year employee

10 point

Sorry I thought I read in an earlier post he was a 30 year employee
That's ok. There's been a lot of posts on this issue. It was said that the payout would be almost the same for him at 15 yrs as it is for us at 30. That's what had me shaking my head when he told me that. I'm glad for him and his family.

wide load

Yeah, sure it is.

Post a check. Until then, I could care less about the 15 month preview.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Up until 2008, I was in the Central States Pension Fund. While in that fund, my projected benefit at retirement with 30 years was $3000/mo.

How did I know this? Not because a current retiree showed me his check, but because that is what the CSPF SPD, based on my contribution rate, told me.

I expected to get the pension that the SPD stated that I would get, unless the fund changed the benefit level, or the fund went bankrupt. I did not need to see a current retiree check.

The same with the IAMNPF. You have access to the SPD and contribution rates. Based off these, we know what a 30 and out pension will be.

We do not need to see a current retiree check to very that what the SPD tells us is true, just like the CSPF, or any other pension fund.

Although, you have had multiple people on here tell you that the mechanics have said that the yearly statement they get matches exactly what the SPD says they will get.

And will they get this? Yes, unless the fund changes the benefit level or goes bankrupt. Either is a possibility in the futute, but, at least for the time being, this fund is very stable and funded over 100%

I get it. A $9000-$12000 seems unbelievable, but just like the CSPF, or any other pension fund, as long as we have access to the SPD and contribution rate, we know what the pension will be.

We have access to both, unless you think that is hearsay also.

The math has been done for you, but if you don't believe it, do the math yourself.

I'll be damned if I am going to ask a retired mechanic for a copy of his check just to prove it to you.

Up until 2008, I was in the Central States Pension Fund. While in that fund, my projected benefit at retirement with 30 years was $3000/mo.

How did I know this? Not because a current retiree showed me his check, but because that is what the CSPF SPD, based on my contribution rate, told me.

I expected to get the pension that the SPD stated that I would get, unless the fund changed the benefit level, or the fund went bankrupt. I did not need to see a current retiree check.

The same with the IAMNPF. You have access to the SPD and contribution rates. Based off these, we know what a 30 and out pension will be.

We do not need to see a current retiree check to very that what the SPD tells us is true, just like the CSPF, or any other pension fund.

Although, you have had multiple people on here tell you that the mechanics have said that the yearly statement they get matches exactly what the SPD says they will get.

And will they get this? Yes, unless the fund changes the benefit level or goes bankrupt. Either is a possibility in the futute, but, at least for the time being, this fund is very stable and funded over 100%

I get it. A $9000-$12000 seems unbelievable, but just like the CSPF, or any other pension fund, as long as we have access to the SPD and contribution rate, we know what the pension will be.

The math has been done for you, but if you don't believe it, do the math yourself.

I'll be damned if I am going to ask a retired mechanic for a copy of his check just to prove it to you.
You can thank good old Ron Carey for that one. Raising it to 3,000 a month for everybody with all the orphan freight companies and the knowledge that a whole lot more were about to close their doors was irresponsible. What did he care though he wanted to get reelected and he was set to inherit 1.9 million in ups stock.

Last edited:

wide load

Post a check and I'll believe you.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You can thank good old Ron Carey for that one. Raising it to 3,000 a month for everybody with all the orphan freight companies and the knowledge that a whole lot more were about to close their doors was irresponsible. What did he care though he wanted to get reelected and he was set to inherit 1.9 million in ups stock.

Never denied tnat.

10 point

He wouldn't believe it if you posted a check on here anyway.
It doesn't fit his agenda .

I posted back on here the last two days to interject a couple of things one final time. These things only mattered to me and were my final thoughts about the lack of solidarity and tespect in the so called "Brotherhood" and the apparent support of leaders that mishandle member's entrusted money and representation.

Forums like this one are an opportunity to reach out to other members with helpful information. Too often though (more often than not on here) it's used as a knife to stab known posters in the back as they actively try to be a part of positive change in the IBT whether locally or collectively and/or choose to just retire and move on with their lives after beating their heads against a very corrupt system for too many years.

There'll probably always be some discord but the the way that this typically slides into the abyss is unfortunately too common and therefore not likely to change until all the koolaid is drained like our pensions have been and the dimly seen issues become stark reality.
Now you know that's a lie don't you.
He matched UPS's offer during the 97 strike because he knew that weak members (in droves) would cross the strike line to get that $1000/month increase. The offer first came from the company not Carey and the pension money was what the company wanted. Thank the stark reality of a surprise two week strike with a puny strike fund adding fuel to the fire. With or without the increase Carey would've been elected again because he identified with common blue collar workers. I was there. I lived it.

Could not changes been made to rectify the situation during the present IBTs GP reign of almost two decades? People can say there's more relevance in that being tied to getting reelected than Carey's dilemma in 97.

Let's not forget that thousands of "orphaned" members took and are still taking the increase knowing the fund was deficient all those years. It's become a disaster due to greed and the looming demise of CS is no longer seen at a distance but it's now up close and visible.

Greed and cowardess killed the CS pension and I'm sure that if you were retired for a few years that you'd tell the powers that be to just send me $2000/mo for thirty yrs of service because the $3000/mo was wrongly upped by Carey.

Brilliant.

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Post a check and I'll believe you.

I don't need you to believe me. The SPD is black and white. You can figure it out all by yourself.

Here's what you can do if you can't figure it out for yourself though. Take the SPD and contribution rates down to your local grade school. Walk into any 5th grade class and ask them to figure it out for you. They will tell you exactly what the amount on that check will be.

Hell, there's probably some 4th graders that can do it for you too.

Now you know that's a lie don't you.
He matched UPS's offer during the 97 strike because he knew that weak members (in droves) would cross the strike line to get that $1000/month increase. The offer first came from the company not Carey and the pension money was what the company wanted. Thank the stark reality of a surprise two week strike with a puny strike fund adding fuel to the fire. With or without the increase Carey would've been elected again because he identified with common blue collar workers. I was there. I lived it.

He matched the offer because he knew that UPS wanted the pension, and with a $3000/mo benefit, the members were going to let UPS have it. Carey was backed into a corner and had to match it or lose the pension to UPS.

That can be debated at another date and time though.