Teamsters Applaud Treasury Decision to Deny CSPF Cuts, Protect Retiree Pensions

5habits100

How did I miss these comments ?

The IBT, has no direct control over the investment strategy.

But you knew that.

Right ?

Wrong.... on every count. :biggrin:

-Bug-
Can you help me out? I didn't see the document that the mechanics actually get $9,000 per month. It may be because I'm looking at it on my phone. The only thing I saw was a letter on the funding level.

You're not very good at reading posts, are you? I never said that the IBT has control over investment strategy.

Let me help you out.

Now, on to your elitist UPS attitude.

Really? A five minute search turned these up. Give me 30 minutes and I could fill this whole thread with your quotes.
Anyway can you show us anything that shows a monthly pension of 9,000+ a month? Hook me up. I can't find it anywhere.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Anyway can you show us anything that shows a monthly pension of 9,000+ a month? Hook me up. I can't find it anywhere.

Look at the benefit amount in the right column.

I believe it said $305 and some change.

That is the monthly benefit, multiplied by contributory years.

30 years at a benefit level of $305 is a little over $9000 per month, the exact same amount that the mechanics show on their yearly pension estimate letter from the IAMNPF.

My local mechanic showed me his, and it also listed $12,000 per month if he put in 40 years.

5habits100

30 years at a benefit level of $305 is a little over $9000 per month, the exact same amount that the mechanics show on their yearly pension estimate letter from the IAMNPF.

My local mechanic showed me his, and it also listed $12,000 per month if he put in 40 years.
Does he have an SPD you can post on here?

Can you show us a statement where is says what the monthly pension payment is. It shouldn't be that hard. When an employee asks what they get when they retire from the pension fund. We have IAM in the building where I work. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked them about a pension of 9,000 too 12,000 a month.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We have IAM in the building where I work. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked them about a pension of 9,000 too 12,000 a month.

Our mechanics also belong to IAM.
It has always been rumored that they got better that $7000/month, but they never shared with me a SPD.

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Our mechanics also belong to IAM.
It has always been rumored that they got better that $7000/month, but they never shared with me a SPD.

Big disparity in benefits across the nation.

Atlanta area is only $7800/mo for 30 years.

NY is less than $7000/mo.

1463632581446.jpg
1463632600411.jpg

By The Book

Can you show us a statement where is says what the monthly pension payment is. It shouldn't be that hard. When an employee asks what they get when they retire from the pension fund. We have IAM in the building where I work. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked them about a pension of 9,000 too 12,000 a month.
It was IAMNPF that Mug was mentioning not IAM.

Inthegame

Mug, Thanks for posting the SPD. As I stated in a prior post, it is very difficult to compare plans without viewing ALL the terms.

This plan does have reductions for common spousal benefits not present in many Teamster plans. There is also a SS offset (pg 68). Credited years have hours requirements so 30 years of employement may not equal 30 years of credit. The main misinterpretation however is applying the retrospective accrual model to a future service pension plan.

The IAM is a future service plan. When computing monthly benefit amounts in a future service plan, one must add all past years together to come to a base line monthly pension benefit which could be subjected to further reductions (age, spousal 50%, 75% etc).

In the chart on post 50, this party will receive as a monthly benefit the total of rates, one year at $202.94 + one year at $209.93 etc., not the result of multiplying todays benefit amount listed and applying it to all past years. Past years have their own rates not listed.

Multiplying $209.93 x30 will only be accurate for a pension received thirty years from now if the benefit rate would remain frozen. Addition, not multiplication is the key. The chart on pg 14 explains it pretty well.

Anyway this is a good plan, well managed with responsible foresight.

UPS went to the future service model in 2008, with prior years at a frozen $100 accrual.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Mug, Thanks for posting the SPD. As I stated in a prior post, it is very difficult to compare plans without viewing ALL the terms.

This plan does have reductions for common spousal benefits not present in many Teamster plans. There is also a SS offset (pg 68). Credited years have hours requirements so 30 years of employement may not equal 30 years of credit. The main misinterpretation however is applying the retrospective accrual model to a future service pension plan.

The IAM is a future service plan. When computing monthly benefit amounts in a future service plan, one must add all past years together to come to a base line monthly pension benefit which could be subjected to further reductions (age, spousal 50%, 75% etc).

In the chart on post 50, this party will receive as a monthly benefit the total of rates, one year at $202.94 + one year at $209.93 etc., not the result of multiplying todays benefit amount listed and applying it to all past years. Past years have their own rates not listed.

Multiplying $209.93 x30 will only be accurate for a pension received thirty years from now if the benefit rate would remain frozen. Addition, not multiplication is the key. The chart on pg 14 explains it pretty well.

Anyway this is a good plan, well managed with responsible foresight.

UPS went to the future service model in 2008, with prior years at a frozen $100 accrual.

I agree about the spousal reduction and all that. The amounts I quoted were the maximum, not including any reduction for spousal benefits, early retirement, etc.

And if you see my previous posts, there are many different contribution rates by UPS into the fund, from around $6/hr in California to $10/hr in some parts of Ohio.

So this is the reason some mechanics in California say there is no way anyone is going to receive a $9000/mo pension since they are only getting around $6000.

And yes, I know it is a future service plan, but it looks good right now and has been for some time.
IAM Anaheim.jpg
IAM CA.jpg
IAM GA.jpg
IAM NY.jpg
IAM OH 1.jpg
IAM OH.jpg
IAM Anaheim.jpg
IAM CA.jpg
IAM GA.jpg
IAM NY.jpg
IAM OH 1.jpg
IAM OH.jpg

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The chart on pg 14 explains it pretty well.

Yes it does. Let's look at Len. His 30 year pension is $4452, with a maximum $3.25/hr rate and $214.29 benefit.

Some of the UPS plans have triple that rate. The current Ohio rate is $10.50/hr and $305.40 benefit, with years prior being a few percentage points less, and future years most likely going up a few percentage point.

So someone with say, 15 years in, is right about in the middle of the decreased past benefits and increased future benefits. So multiplying the current benefit by 30 years is a fairly close estimate of his 30 year pension.

Someone with 20 years in will give roughly the same amount just multiplying the 30 years, assuming the future rate will continue to go up.

Mechanics who already have 30 years in may be a little less, due to the decreased benefits in years past.

Bottom line, a $9000 30 year pension from the IAMNPF is realistic, at least in some areas that have the higher contributory rate.

I just noticed that Oakland has a $3.40/hr $133.07 benefit. There is no way they will see anything close to $9000/mo. Maybe $4000 if they are lucky.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
And if you see my previous posts, there are many different contribution rates by UPS into the fund, from around $6/hr in California to $10/hr in some parts of Ohio.
Regarding the differing (lower) contribution rates to to the IAMNPF, they may also be receiving contributions to a Local pension fund. Apparently that's the case where I am.

Inthegame

Yes it does. Let's look at Len. His 30 year pension is $4452, with a maximum $3.25/hr rate and $214.29 benefit.
And that's why multiplying is inaccurate as opposed to adding. Len would receive $6428.70 if we took 30 X $214.29. Adding Len's years up by his earned future service credits each year is the proper computation.

So someone with say, 15 years in, is right about in the middle of the decreased past benefits and increased future benefits. So multiplying the current benefit by 30 years is a fairly close estimate of his 30 year pension.
And in Len's case it is close. However, it is inaccurate to state the future projected amount as something that is occuring now.

Mechanics who already have 30 years in may be a little less, due to the decreased benefits in years past.
Mechanics who already have 30 years in and retire this year will (not may) be (more than a little) less due to lower rates of the past.

Bottom line, a $9000 30 year pension from the IAMNPF is realistic, at least in some areas that have the higher contributory rate.
Realistic to a point. That may be a true statement, and if the benefit rates continue to increase, in less than thirty years. Otherwise it may happen thirty years from now, if the plan survives future events.
In any case, it's not happening now.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Regarding the differing (lower) contribution rates to to the IAMNPF, they may also be receiving contributions to a Local pension fund. Apparently that's the case where I am.

I wondered why certain areas had such a low contribution rate. This may explain it. Two separate pensions?

And that's why multiplying is inaccurate as opposed to adding. Len would receive $6428.70 if we took 30 X $214.29.

You took Len's highest contribution rate in your example. I agreed that someone with 30 years in may not get the current benefit multiplied by 30 because most previous years were most likely a little lower. And I know that each years benefit amount needs to be added, but we don't know the exact amount of the previous years.

But when the mechanics get their yearly statements, it calculated those previous years contribution rates, and estimates the future years rates.

Back to Len. As I stated earlier, someone with say, 15 years in, multiplying the current rate by 30 is a close estimate of what the 30 year pension should be, if the yearly increases are pretty consistent, which they have historically been.

At 15 years, halfway into his career, Len's contribution rate was $142.43. I would estimate his 30 year pension to be 30 time $142.43, or $4273/mo. A darn pretty close estimate to his actual pension of $4452/mo.

This will work every time if the contributions rates are uniformly increased every year, or every 3 years, as in Len's case.

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior as long as past behavior has been pretty consistent.

And in Len's case it is close. However, it is inaccurate to state the future projected amount as something that is occuring now.

Not necessarily. If we feel that we can predict the future contribution amount, we know exactly what his pension will be. I agree things could take a downturn, the sun may not rise tomorrow, all that doom and gloom. But looking at the historical performance of the IAMNPF, they can predict, not guarantee, future benefits based on predicted future contribution rates.

Mechanics who already have 30 years in and retire this year will (not may) be (more than a little) less due to lower rates of the past.

Not necessarily. The previous rates may have actually been higher, and the contribution rates may have been decreasing every year.

I know, this is most likely not the case, but we are not 100% sure. So I said "may" be lower or most likely.

Realistic to a point. That may be a true statement, and if the benefit rates continue to increase, in less than thirty years. Otherwise it may happen thirty years from now, if the plan survives future events.

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior as long as past behavior has been pretty consistent. But nobody is 100% sure, we are only estimating or guessing.

And I never said it was happening now. I believe, in another post, I was asked what the current retirees are getting. My response was "Dunno."

The point is, current mechanics in parts of the country with 15 to 20 years in, based on historical contribution rates and moderate yearly increases, as estimated from past increases, can expect an estimated $9000/mo pension after 30 years, a $12000/mo pension if they stick around for 40 years..........that is, of course, contingent upon the sun rising tomorrow.

And that's why multiplying is inaccurate as opposed to adding. Len would receive $6428.70 if we took 30 X $214.29. Adding Len's years up by his earned future service credits each year is the proper computation.

Bingo:)

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I wondered why certain areas had such a low contribution rate. This may explain it. Two separate pensions?
Yes, 2 pensions here. However, IAM L701's fund is currently 72.5%-'endangered'. I was told (by a mechanic who's been around so long he was there for the vote), that the 2 pensions went a long way on selling the mechanics on the IAM vs Teamsters.

Not necessarily. If we feel that we can predict the future contribution amount, we know exactly what his pension will be. I agree things could take a downturn, the sun may not rise tomorrow, all that doom and gloom. But looking at the historical performance of the IAMNPF, they can predict, not guarantee, future benefits based on predicted future contribution rates.
We have less mechanics and maintenance in my neck of the woods than we did 15 years ago. This trend will probably continue. The airline industry has gone down also. It will only be a matter of time.