Telematics and discipline.

O

OLDMAN3

Unless you were a cover driver at the time I would think you would have known where that delivery stop was.
Incorrect assumption. I already posted I was unfamiliar with the area.
I was running air for another route. I had never been on that street.
The buildings were not in sequential order.
Management was fully aware of all of this before they badgered me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Incorrect assumption. I already posted I was unfamiliar with the area.
I was running air for another route. I had never been on that street.
The buildings were not in sequential order.
Management was fully aware of all of this before they badgered me.

...hence the "unless you were a cover driver..."....

O

OLDMAN3

...hence the "unless you were a cover driver..."....
You see, this is another tactic of management to get others to divulge that which they don't wish to.... Antagonize and insult to illicit an emotional response, and perhaps say something incriminating. Not unlike how some on this forum make antagonizing comments. I wonder if there are any "scouts" for management on this forum; what do you think Dave?

The problem with all these tactics is that those who have not done something wrong will see through the rehearsed dialogue and badgering. They will then loose all respect for those who use the deception, and their legitimate authority as superiors will loose its legitimacy.

Truth carries within itself a grace bestowed by He who is truth itself. Deception carries no such grace, and so always works toward destroying that illegitimate goal that the deception wishes to gain. In this case management wishes to exert the illegitimate authority to fire not those who deserve it, but those who they feel like firing. By using deception to seize this authority to fire at will, management undermines any legitimate authority they have.

10 point

As long as you hit dup stop there is no reason to void a stop you stop complete twice. As long as you are doing nothing wrong it is better to not void since voiding would bring up a whole slew of different questions from management...Why did you spend so much time at that location when you did not do a stop there etc etc
You can honestly say you spent time at that location because you were looking for an address that wasn't in sequence.

If you voided the stop and the delivery showed up late it was showing honesty because there WAS such an address after all but it wasn't where it should have been.

I would have called in immediately after the delivery, told the OMS what happened and asked him/her to put a note in DPS at that address that will allert any other driver to know that the building/house location is "X" (facing the intersecting street, out order and after xyz house number, etc.).

That kills two birds with one stone... unless the OMS doesn't communicate the circumstances to the supes. But all that is in your favor and the supes have all day to go out and check out your story.

Failure to check out your story and riddling you with redundant questions the next day precipitates a harassment issue to me.

10 point

I type anything that supports that address out of order in the pkg remarks area just so the shipper, UPS, the 800 number employees who may field a complaint on that late delivery, and the consignee can see that there's an unusual address issue involved with that missed commit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Comments in the remarks column cannot be read by consignees who use ups.com to track their packages. They can only be viewed by those who have access to enhanced tracking.

10 point

Comments in the remarks column cannot be read by consignees who use ups.com to track their packages. They can only be viewed by those who have access to enhanced tracking.
That's what I was trying to convey.
UPS and the 800 folks can read them thus validating the drivers dilemma of finding an address out of order, etc.
The consignee will have to validate it to the 800 # folks if they call in. Thus validating the driver's problem delivering it on time.

We're talking about a driver's defense to management... not to the customer.

O

OLDMAN3

I would bet that a majority of drivers have accidentally pre-recorded a stop and did not realize it till they saw the pre-record count much later in the day. If this happens with NDA, management now considers this prima facie evidence of dishonesty. Thank goodness there is wording in the contract to counter the guilty until proven innocent attitude.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would bet that a majority of drivers have accidentally pre-recorded a stop and did not realize it till they saw the pre-record count much later in the day. If this happens with NDA, management now considers this prima facie evidence of dishonesty. Thank goodness there is wording in the contract to counter the guilty until proven innocent attitude.

We had a guy do this at a bulk stop which comes through with more than one address. He scanned the first address, which had all of the NDA, before 1030 and put it in to prerecord. He then sheeted the remaining packages, completed the stop and was shocked to find out that every single one of his NDA for that stop showed up late, even though he was clearly there before the commit time. He didn't realize that putting the stop in to prerecord changes the time stamp.

10 point

We had a guy do this at a bulk stop which comes through with more than one address. He scanned the first address, which had all of the NDA, before 1030 and put it in to prerecord. He then sheeted the remaining packages, completed the stop and was shocked to find out that every single one of his NDA for that stop showed up late, even though he was clearly there before the commit time. He didn't realize that putting the stop in to prerecord changes the time stamp.
And even tho GPS showed him there by commit time and every computer function can be viewed (prerecord/time scanned) they still give out warning letters for improper recording methods when the airs show up late on a report.

The issue at hand is dishonesty not stupidity.

If every driver would call in the address discrepancies on their route to be put in DPS it would help Saturday air drivers and drivers who get dispatched next day airs off another route's PM section that they don't normally deliver... such as cell phones, etc.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I am surprised your local management hasn't "clued" drivers in to the trick

to circumvent late airs, that are accidentally put in pre-record.

While they are still in pre-record (and it's after 10:30)

Just tag the stop "left at".... hit signature, and print On file.... Clarify, with the same.

Then, stop complete. Type in the location, and bingo.... no late air.

(If the stop is still in pre-record, it holds the time)

Ask your local management, if this is acceptable.

Most management people know this.

They encourage it here.... if it keeps them off a late air report.:biggrin:

-Bug-

Just tag the stop "left at".... hit signature, and print On file.... Clarify, with the same.

-Bug-
Kids,dont try this at home!

10 point

-Bug-
Our management doesn't clue us in because they don't have a clue.

Or they like passing out warning letters.

Not being mean spirited, just truthful.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

-Bug-
Sup says it's acceptable..till the higher up's catch on. Then sup denies all knowledge...and leaves the driver twisting in the wind as they walk said driver out the door.

10 point

-Bug-
"On file" like signature on file?

Got any panel decisions to back us up on that one?