Telematics and peak

yeldarb

I am in a P12 and I have been getting about 120 recording while idles a day, and I have my truck off at every stop. There is some sort of a delay, which after turning the package car off, it continues to show as an idle for about 8 seconds.

babboo25

Banned
Okay... I guess Cost per piece, NDPPH, SPOHR, Ov/Un, don't count. Individually, I agree each has a problem. In this case, they say the same thing in Telematics sites.

By the way, I do talk with customers also..... Lots of customers....

Again, I posted the true facts. You can choose to believe them or not. Your call.

P-Man
No your numbers dont count, pieces per hour and stops per hour are bogus. If you have a mall route and you have to use a flatbed cart, say you have 75 pieces for one stop but you have to make 3 trips. That may take up to 20-25 minutes. Or if you deliver in a congested area, heavy traffic, stop lights etc.. Every route is different but you wouldnt know that. The routes with the most miles always get better time, you were a driver for a short period for a reason, and all of us that are still drivers know that reason. You dont have a clue but think you know everything. Listen to the ones who do the work, you did the job, but couldnt handle it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Someone gave you bad information....

Telematics has been approved for continued deployment next year.

Telematics sites have significantly better performance improvements compared to non-telematics sites.

P-Man

Spam!!!
There is no way this program is improving production numbers!

pretzel_man

No your numbers dont count, pieces per hour and stops per hour are bogus. If you have a mall route and you have to use a flatbed cart, say you have 75 pieces for one stop but you have to make 3 trips. That may take up to 20-25 minutes. Or if you deliver in a congested area, heavy traffic, stop lights etc.. Every route is different but you wouldnt know that. The routes with the most miles always get better time, you were a driver for a short period for a reason, and all of us that are still drivers know that reason. You dont have a clue but think you know everything. Listen to the ones who do the work, you did the job, but couldnt handle it.

I agree that for an individual driver, there is much variability. I'm looking at numbers for over 10,000 drivers. When you add it all up, those 10,000 driver did significantly better than the rest.

I'm sorry, but at some point, numbers are important.

P-Man

pretzel_man

Spam!!!
There is no way this program is improving production numbers!

Okay... Explain this then

- We all agree that UPS is cheap and wants to increase profits.
- They installed Telematics first in 1500 vehicles and analyzed them.
- Then they installed Telematics in over 10000 vehicles and spend a very large amount of time analyzing the results.

So, with all this analysis by highly skilled finance people, why did UPS decide to continue and install more? Believe me, the accountants would like to NOT spend the money.

Don't you think they analyzed this? I looked at the same reports as they did.

If its a loser, doesn't it make sense that they would then stop?

P-Man

Last edited by a moderator:

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Perfect methods = overallowed.

Underallowed = improper methods.

There is no way around these two equations. Any action you take to get off of one report will simply cause you to appear on a different one.

Bingo.

This is why the driver I talked to told me his center was not going to rely on telematics, at least when it comes to method enforcement. As more driver's were following the proper methods they were taking more time to do the job.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I think telematics, along with EDD/PAS, will be a useful tool if we ever strike again. I think that is a major reason they were implemented.

This is all speculation on my part :happy2:.

TheDick

- Then they installed Telematics in over 10000 vehicles and spend a very large amount of time analyzing the results.

So, with all this analysis by highly skilled finance people, why did UPS decide to continue and install more? Believe me, the accountants would like to NOT spend the money.

P-Man

My center mgr cooks his numbers everyday cuz he has to have his numbers his way. DNED, missed, misroutes, he always figures out a sneaky way to hide it and make himself look good to the other centers,and braggs about it after the conf call. The "highly skilled finance people" were prob lay-offs from banks who want to justify there numbers, and keep theryre new job. More layers to the big corporation called UPS.
Telematics does not improve prod numbers it makes more work for my sup having to sit in his pers vehicle and hope to observe me doing something slightly imperfect and done enough times will terminate me. You can imagine how ups labor guy and my union rep feels about this crap, but hey its the new UPS!
I'm getting a new pkg car next year. The smog laws have made my pkg car unusable in california. Guess what my new car will have fac installed all over it?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Someone gave you bad information....

Telematics has been approved for continued deployment next year.

Telematics sites have significantly better performance improvements compared to non-telematics sites.

P-Man

So let's say a driver or two or five in my center currently bonus by about -.50 daily and cheat like the dickens. Do you predict they will they show a marked improvement by telematics forcing a more disciplined following of the methods and not cheating? Or is the production increase you are citing relating more to making those that actually steal time less likely to do so? Just curious.

overallowed

I think mgmt is just lettin the numbers slide till after peak. My helper uses my DIAD IV all the time when the car is in motion, and they haven't saud anything to me abut sheeting and driving. Other than that, I've done it by the book. Bulkhead door shut and engine off when stopped. My numbers aren't all that great' but I'm under.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I could see telematics helping production. Drivers think they are being watched and followed, miles being watched, etc. On-car sups can now sit in the office and follow drivers on GPS. I have seen it in IE models. All of this technology means that drivers can get away with less and less, period. Production should be much better because of this spying technology.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

P-Man

To stop would mean to admit that a mistake was made.

Admitting mistakes has never been a strong point of this organization.

Look at how often we wind up stuck with an operational "plan" that has been imposed upon us from above and that has no basis in reality. If the plan wont work, we will simply pretend that it works rather than changing it to reflect what is happening in the real world.

In my building we have been saddled with sattelite centers that are costing us more money than they purport to save...but there is no way to get rid of them because the individual(s) from Corporate who mandated them would first have to admit that they were wrong about them in the first place.

browniehound

P-Man

Yes, it makes perfect sense. And no, I would never expect or believe UPS would spend money on something that doesn't increase the bottom line.

Just this week I was directed to transfer my helper to another driver that would use him for the rest of the day. I was also directed to "clock him out" for the 5 minute ride to the other driver. If the helper is making $9.50/hour then that 5 minutes is saving UPS about 70 cents. If UPS is focused on these minute cost savings, then I doubt they would waste money on telematics.

That being said, the cynic in me tells me UPS is so sinister that they wouldn't mind taking a loss on something that would allow full visability of their labor force and a tool to fire their least productive employees. I know its a stretch, but I'm just sayin'....

Dustyroads

I think it is very revealing that the company will spend a thousand dollars to equip a package car with telematics and will not equip a package car with a driver's airbag. Airbags save thousands of lives every year. It's not really a matter of dispute or debate. But, since we don't sell our old package cars to the public, we can omit this very basic safety device from our cars. It's an embarrassing shame.

pretzel_man

My center mgr cooks his numbers everyday cuz he has to have his numbers his way. DNED, missed, misroutes, he always figures out a sneaky way to hide it and make himself look good to the other centers,and braggs about it after the conf call. The "highly skilled finance people" were prob lay-offs from banks who want to justify there numbers, and keep theryre new job. More layers to the big corporation called UPS.

I don't know what your Center Manager does on his daily reports... You can't hide from a cost statement. It is the final judge and very, very, difficult to manipulate.

So, you are saying that the finance people are cooking the books? They are risking their jobs and worse consequences? Why? To make Telematics look good? Sorry, it is not happening.

P-Man

pretzel_man

So let's say a driver or two or five in my center currently bonus by about -.50 daily and cheat like the dickens. Do you predict they will they show a marked improvement by telematics forcing a more disciplined following of the methods and not cheating? Or is the production increase you are citing relating more to making those that actually steal time less likely to do so? Just curious.

The driver you are mentioning will NOT improve with Telematics.

A driver who follows the methods daily and does his / her best every day will also not improve with Telematics.

However, there are drivers that do not do their best every day. They run up miles just to look good on paper. They spend extra time inappropriately at a stop or at break.

I am not saying that this is a majority at all. They are a minority. However, now that they know they are being watched, the inappropriate behavior goes away.

P-Man

pretzel_man

Look at how often we wind up stuck with an operational "plan" that has been imposed upon us from above and that has no basis in reality. If the plan wont work, we will simply pretend that it works rather than changing it to reflect what is happening in the real world.

In my building we have been saddled with sattelite centers that are costing us more money than they purport to save...but there is no way to get rid of them because the individual(s) from Corporate who mandated them would first have to admit that they were wrong about them in the first place.

Sober,

You have not been in the meetings. I have. I even had a chance to speak with a couple of Management Committee members on Telematics.

I know the corporate people that invented the system, developed the system, and deploy and manage it.

Your thought that this is a "mandate" and that the company is afraid to admit a mistake is just plain wrong. There is no other way to say it.

If you like, I can give you their information and you can ask them yourself.

This system was developed years ago. Its future was uncertain because they didn't know if it would save money or not. That's why it took so long. They did a very detailed analysis to see if it would pay for itself.

The truth is that it saves money. Do a search on the web for Telematics. You will see that we are not alone.

P-Man

pretzel_man

Satellite Drivers are a much different matter..... Satellite drivers make perfect sense in many situations. Yes, Corporate did direct the districts to EVALUATE where satellite drivers should fit.

Yes, corporate pushed VERY hard for districts to find satellite routes. I would not be surprised if this very hard push got some districts to create inappropriate satellite routes.

Corporate did NOT dictate individual routes.

That came from the district. Again, Satellite routes make a lot of sense in many situations. I have no way of knowing if the one in your location makes sense or not.

P-Man

pretzel_man

Sorry for so many posts in a row, but one more thing on Telematics.

Telematics also shows lots of information besides individual driver safety, service, and performance. It shows where drivers overlap areas, where pickups are compared to delivery routes, trace, etc.

Some of the telematics savings also come from management seeing their problems in the dispatch and fixing them.

P-Man