Telematics and the 111 foot driveway

rocket man

I was recently shown a Telematics report and asked why I chose to back 111 feet into this driveway to make a pickup.

As can be seen, the "driveway" is barely longer than the 22 foot package car. Had I actually backed up 111 feet at this stop, I would have gone through the door, through the warehouse, and out through the opposite wall of the building which is about 80 feet wide.

Since none of these things occured, it would appear that there are some serious accuracy issues with the Telematics system.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Of course I realize this but here is the MAJOR difference. Most blue-collar workers start at 7 and punch out at 3:30. Eight hours plus 1/2 hour lunch. The rest of the world may have a lunch hour, but I will bet you any amount of money that if they can't fit it into their work schedule (e.g. finishing business deliveries before pick-ups) the company doesn't make them sit idle at the end of the night.

Can you picture this in the "real" world? It would never happen except at UPS. Can you imagine an office worker sitting at his desk from 1800-1900 because he didn't get his lunch hour in because he was too busy? Its ridiculous.

And before anyone wants to bring it up, I don't want to play the game of "i'm going to miss 10 stops if you don't get them off my truck: just so I can have a lunch hour. Because if I send that message, I'm just going to screw one of my fellow workers doing a house-call route and I dont want to do this.

What I want is to do the route and just put in the time I take for lunch. Why can't it just be that simple? For the love GOD, I ask this question: why can't it be that simple?????

Brownie you need to find a way to get over it.
At what point has what we want (as an individual) had to do with anything?
It is, and always will be, about the greater good for all.
That is the way it is in a union shop.
Where I am, we are afforded a half hour unpaid lunch, to be taken between the 3rd and 6th hour.
We also get 2 ten minute paid breaks.
Where you are, it's apparently an hour unpaid lunch.
Take it, at lunch time.
Rest, nourish your body.
That is why it was negotiated.
I hear these outcries all the time, claims that I need to get home to my family.
As admirable as that definitely is, you are a UPS driver.
Generations before you endured the hours we do.
The hours were never a well guarded secret.
This is a conscious choice we all made at some point, to pursuit this career.
We could do much worse.
Many people do.
Many people, white and blue collar, work longer hours.
Many work weekends, we never do.
We enjoy above average vacation time off.
Many work other shifts that aren't as conducive to family life.
Could you imagine working 2nd shift?
Go to feeders and try 3rd shift, not for me.
Many have to travel for their job, we come home every night.
I agree that running all day to get done, just to be forced to take an hour break, would be frustrating.
So don't do it.
Do yourself a favor and find your peace with what you cannot change.
Believe me, if you can manage to do this in all facets of the job, a huge weight will be lifted from your shoulders.
Work by the methods, utilize your lunch and breaks as designed, and you'll put yourself in position of far less stress.
For the extra time, you'll be handsomely compensated.
You don't have to swim against the current for your entire career.
Try swimmimg with it and liberate yourself.
Settle in for the long haul and try to realize that this job is a marathon, not a sprint.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bubbles, I am impressed. That is by far one of the best posts I have read here in quite some time and should be incorporated in to the new driver orientation. Dave.

JustTired

free at last.......
Bubbles, I am impressed. That is by far one of the best posts I have read here in quite some time and should be incorporated in to the new driver orientation. Dave.

I agree.
The fact is......that break in the middle of the day is ,by far, the best thing you can do for your health and safety. Personally, I think 1/2 hour is enough. But, different locations have their own rules.

It is my opinion that if you continually skip lunch in the middle of the day, that break will be supplemented with more work. This cuts down on the odds of you ever being able to take a break in the future should you have a change of heart.

This comes under the heading of "working as directed". Which is not only direction from management......but following the contractual language.

Very few like working the long hours and being away from family. But skipping lunch and breaks is not the long term answer. It may work for a while. But it will catch up to you eventually.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Of course I realize this but here is the MAJOR difference. Most blue-collar workers start at 7 and punch out at 3:30. Eight hours plus 1/2 hour lunch. The rest of the world may have a lunch hour, but I will bet you any amount of money that if they can't fit it into their work schedule (e.g. finishing business deliveries before pick-ups) the company doesn't make them sit idle at the end of the night.

Can you picture this in the "real" world? It would never happen except at UPS. Can you imagine an office worker sitting at his desk from 1800-1900 because he didn't get his lunch hour in because he was too busy? Its ridiculous.

And before anyone wants to bring it up, I don't want to play the game of "i'm going to miss 10 stops if you don't get them off my truck: just so I can have a lunch hour. Because if I send that message, I'm just going to screw one of my fellow workers doing a house-call route and I dont want to do this.

What I want is to do the route and just put in the time I take for lunch. Why can't it just be that simple? For the love GOD, I ask this question: why can't it be that simple?????

What you dont seem to understand is that in most parts of yhe country, the contract language for lunch is based on STATE LAW, the only person you are screwing by taking your lunch during the mid day, is you!!!I do not feel sorry for you or any other fool that thinks its more important to make your deliveries than to take your lunch, if you don't like sitting at the end of the day, follow the proper procedures and find a nice place to sit and read, or watch tv while you eat,rest and refresh.

Do you think UPS apreciates your skipping lunch, If you had an accident and did not take your lunch, you will be the first one thrown to the wolves. Wake up man.

As for starting at 7, you knew the hours when you started, if its not what you wanted, why did you take the job.

I am so damn sick of hearing this lunch argument, it does not matter if you like it or not. IT'S THE RULES!!!!!!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Where I am, we are afforded a half hour unpaid lunch, to be taken between the 3rd and 6th hour.
Take it, at lunch time.
Rest, nourish your body.
I hear these outcries all the time, claims that I need to get home to my family.
We could do much worse.
Many people do.
I agree that running all day to get done, just to be forced to take an hour break, would be frustrating.
So don't do it.
Believe me, if you can manage to do this in all facets of the job, a huge weight will be lifted from your shoulders.
Work by the methods, utilize your lunch and breaks as designed, and you'll put yourself in position of far less stress and be far less likely to be injured.
Settle in for the long haul and try to realize that this job is a marathon, not a sprint.
:happy2:

browniehound

Take it, at lunch time.
Rest, nourish your body.
We could do much worse.
Many people do.
So don't do it.
Work by the methods, utilize your lunch and breaks as designed, and you'll put yourself in position of far less stress.

Bubblehead,
Thanks for your response. You're right, I need to get over it! I have and accept it and have for the last decade. However, this forum allows me to vent my frustrations. Thats all. I know you're sick of hearing me talk about lunch breaks. I'm done and apologize for being a nuisance. Thanks for listening however.

Before I go want to say I really enjoyed reading your post Bubblehead. You hit the nail on the head on every point you brought up. They are words to live by and that's not an OVER statement. After reading your words of wisdom I must apologize for whinning and being such a baby about lunches. Thanks for reading my rants,

Browniehound

BCFan

I would think sober has a good working relationship with the people at this stop and they would be more than happy to give him a hand with over 70s if he asks.

Yeah, I know, the contract says UPS is supposed to send help for over 70s, but how many of us have the time to sit and wait for another bargaining unit employee to make his way over to help us? We either ask for help or "man up" and take care of it ourselves.

Who has time to wait? Great question and I have a great answer.... We drivers have time to wait because that is what we are selling to UPS. In Georgia we do not have to punch out while we are waiting on a BARGAINING UNIT MEMBER to come help with the over 70s.. Heck we went on strike to straighten out that BS. BC (not broccoli cheese)

Last edited:
Ever heard of the perfect prison system?

Well, it's a theory about the most effective prison which only requires one guard. It is shaped like a circle. Multiple stories. All the cells are on the outside of this circle with their doors facing inward. There is only one tower in the middle of the circle. The booth has a one way mirror facing toward the doors of the cells. So the guard can see every inmate, but the inmates cannot see the guard.

Psychologically the inmate is being forced to feel that he/she is being watched at all times (although probably not because there is only one guard) thus self governing his behavior.

Telematics is more confining than the perfect prison system because your every action is recorded. Down to the foot and down to the second. And if you fall out of certain parameters, then your truck starts blinking red on a computer somewhere. Hello BB.