Tell me it gets better

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by scisector9, Jan 6, 2014.

1. scisector9

scisector9 Active Member

Greetings BC. Fairly new around these parts but just wanted to share my new career stresses and blunders.

I was hired off the street in July and made my 30 in September. Things were going well until peak and the winter hit .

The week before Christmas we had a horrible ice storm and I had a tier 1 struck stationary accident. Lucky for me it was peak and they sent me back out into the madness that day and no suspension.

The following week I was on some rural route and got stuck in a snow drift.

Today I couldn't get out of my country lane into work until the road crews came and plowed us out. Nasty 7 foot drifts. Ended up making it in at 4 and running 76 stops after that but still missed 8 hours of work

I have had several drivers and even a decent couple of on car sups tell me the first couple years are tough and to learn from my mistakes and better myself.

I take this all to heart and I am the first to admit I dwell and beat myself up over things.

I just want to be the best upser I can be but feel as though I have already given mgmt several reasons to focus on me.

Anyone have any similar experiences starting their careers driving? Any advice or guidance? Do I start looking for a new career now? Lol.

Cheers

Sent using BrownCafe App

2. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

You were set up to fail, don't blame yourself.

3. Marne Vet

Marne Vet Well-Known Member

Quit. It doesn't get easier, only tougher. lol

4. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

I'd want them to show me how to under alowwed, during those conditions....... come on train me...

5. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

If your local and UPS has bidding procedures and inside jobs, maybe think about hanging in there; and perhaps wait to see what happens.

I know that, as a driver, being new is the worst possible position to be in seniority-wise, and "technically" some areas of your job will improve with time, according to your seniority date.

6. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Trust me, it never gets better.

Until you can retire.

7. 9.5er

9.5er Well-Known Member

Bad thing is even if you keep a clean record for the rest of your career you will have to explain those accidents each and every year. I have two accidents and a dog bite on my record. Have to go through the same crap every time the sup gives my yearly ride along.

Hang in there, once you get some area knowledge it gets easier. A little.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Kicked Your Dog

Kicked Your Dog 22 Year South Cal UPSer

Sent using BrownCafe App[/quote]
    Nope. I'm good at doing my job correctly.

9. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

If you really need to ask -----------nope.! Learn to follow their methods. Use it for your body's sake. You are just an ass in the seat to them.replaceable

10. BUCN85

BUCN85 Active Member

The best way to go about it is just do your best and at the end of the day say EFF it. It's just a job. I got sent out to what we like to call "hazard county" in a rental yesterday. Mind you this was my first time out there. Ice and snow everywhere hills. No house #. I could have got myself all worked up over it. But I just said EFF It and continued my day. Didn't know area one bit so I ended up having a lot of EC.

11. browniehound

browniehound Well-Known Member

Just remember that you get paid by the hour and you can't be fired unless you lie, steal, drive under the influence, or drive recklessly. Its only cardboard and you will make it home that night no matter how bleak it feels. I know this because in 15 years of driving each day I have went home at some point. Even though it may feel like it at times, its not prison.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  12. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

13. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

It doesn't get better, you just learn to deal with it better. Good luck

14. Dragon

Dragon Package Center Manager

Sorry, but I really have to catch up on my email....

15. JackStraw

JackStraw Active Member

Sorry to say that it doesn't get better. What does get better is you not caring about it. Hang tough.

16. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

I've seen it all before. Just focus and find a mentor. Try to talk to your steward of one of the older guys. I always take all the new drivers under my wing. I give them all my cell number and tell them to call anytime during the day I'm always on my Bluetooth. You need a buddy.

17. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Best answer I have heard. Therefore it does get better. Must be the reason why the job is so easy now. And just gets easier every year.

18. scisector9

scisector9 Active Member

Thanks everyone for your honesty and advice. I don't want to say I hate my job I just feel overwhelmed still at times. I thought I was comfortable and getting better then my first peak and winter weather threw me for a loop .

For a company with such a "safety first" culture they sure take a lot of shortcuts when convenient for them. Our trucks are boxes on wheels. No traction in snow. Some heaters are garbage. I've driven commercially previously and other commercial trucks are lexuses compared to these. No power steering in some. Some with 3 foot steps.

Also the over dispatching in bad weather heavy as hell in areas we don't know. All the while management says be safe but turns around and bitches about production.

As stated above I just need to not give a EFF. And do the best I can.

Cheers

Sent using BrownCafe App

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

I love my job. And if my sup or center manager sets me up to fail, then I will. And he can explain it on the next conference call.

20. jumpman23

jumpman23 Oh Yeah

Drive like pop pop in the snow and ice. Remember your life and safety come first before some stupidazz boxes. Better to be safe late than hurt early lol. ECD thats whats its there for. Theres always tomorrow for those packages. Theres no guarantee theres a tomorrow for you if you get into a bad accident.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List