The 1% in the USA

moreluck

golden ticket member
"So what does it take to be part of that 1%? On a national basis, in 2013 you needed a minimum household income of $389,436 to join the club. But the threshold is a lot higher in certain East Coast locales, such as Connecticut ($659,979), Washington, D.C. ($554,719) and New Jersey ($547,737).

The cut off for the 1% is even higher in certain standard metropolitan areas known as refuges for the rich. In the Jackson, Wyoming-Idaho ski resort area the cut-off for the 1% is an impressive $1.65 million. In Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Connecticut it’s $1.39 million and in Summit Park, Utah the minimum income to be a one percenter is $1.21 million.

The spreads in wealth inequality are just as dramatic. In New York, Connecticut and Wyoming, for example, the top 1% has an average income that is more than 40 times the average incomes of the other 99% in those states. The numbers are more sane in certain parts of the country. For instance, the state where it’s easiest to join the 1% club is New Mexico, where a household income of $231,276 is sufficient."

I don't make anywhere near that. :(
Is that the U.S. figures because I was talking the world.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When people talk about the top 1 %.....if you work at UPS, you're talking about yourself, not just the rich bitch on Park Avenue.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
u r the one percent
Not using 'their' definition based on wages/income.

Maybe using wealth as the criteria?

That's the reason I always 'poo-pooed' the US Government's definition of 'poor'.
My cousin owns a $600k house in the NC mountains and lives off dividends and savings.
No income but literally lives like a millionaire.

wkmac

Start taxing wealth and get that money/value in circulation to the working class.

This is why I look for small business/individual entrepreneurs who operate on a cash basis as it could suggest someone who doesn't pay taxes. Such individual tends to re spend that money in the local economy, because it is off book, thus allowing it to work longer before it does get swallowed up by the super state and re distributed elsewhere. More often than not to a welfare queen in that metaphorical 1%.

Big fan of Black & Gray markets.

Democrats for right or wrong use to have those who advocated such as what you suggest but now it's hard to tell them apart from republicans on such matters.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

That's the reason I always 'poo-pooed' the US Government's definition of 'poor'.
My cousin owns a $600k house in the NC mountains and lives off dividends and savings.
can i borrow money or not

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is why I look for small business/individual entrepreneurs who operate on a cash basis as it could suggest someone who doesn't pay taxes. Such individual tends to re spend that money in the local economy, because it is off book, thus allowing it to work longer before it does get swallowed up by the super state and re distributed elsewhere. More often than not to a welfare queen in that metaphorical 1%.

Big fan of Black & Gray markets.

Democrats for right or wrong use to have those who advocated such as what you suggest but now it's hard to tell them apart from republicans on such matters.
I keep cash around for these purposes.
I had 8 trees taken down last week and the cost was $1500.
I pulled out 10 C-notes and offered that ... he came down to $1100.
So with a little negotiation and 'cash on the barrelhead' and I saved $400 in after tax dollars.

Saved $900 when I had my house painted.

wkmac

When the income tax first started, such profits and rents were income and wages from labor were not. By 1942' and the Victory Tax Act, everything started getting turned on its head and now working wages more and more are aggressively taxed while profits and rents are less and less. But you hear no one talk about returning wages to their status as non income as in the early days of the income tax.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When the income tax first started, such profits and rents were income and wages from labor were not. By 1942' and the Victory Tax Act, everything started getting turned on its head and now working wages more and more are aggressively taxed while profits and rents are less and less. But you hear no one talk about returning wages to their status as non income as in the early days of the income tax.
That's because the top 1% wealthiest people determine the laws.