The man behind ORION

Indecisi0n

My sup said if you can beat Orion's mileage then you can run the route however you want, no 85% if you can do better.

You will beat Orion but then your over allowed goes up.
You will run the route your way and over allowed goes down but miles go up.

You are at fault either way.

C

chuchu

We had a driver snap a bone in his ankle climbing over and thru his load to get to packages so the company would look efficient to the world. Sounds like an "Orion meets OSHA" movie being made.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
An interesting interview with Jack about where UPS technology is going (June 2013); "we are just getting started."

I caved at about 8 minutes when he started talking nano-seconds. No doubt the guy is smart. Very smart. But, for 100 or so years, UPS drivers have been making those thousands of decisions every single day. Sure, some will try to game the system, but most (overwhelmingly most) of the drivers I worked with for 34 years just wanted to do their job and get home safe.

BTW, in my old building, ORION is turning into a Frankenstein monster.:surprised:

Our center recently started using Orion and it is a joke. Less miles, but less stops, more time. Searching through the truck to find the next stop, doubling back over areas. It needs a lot of work. Very interested in seeing how this works during peak.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is no 85% compliance while the Orion guys are still "testing" the system. Once they leave your building that's when the real fun begins.

I cant wait for the "fun" to start.

There wont be any "85% compliance" concerns for me. They can either let me run it the way it needs to be run according to my 18 yrs of area knowledge, or they can have me shut my brain off, run that bitch one hundred percent compliant, and watch it crash and burn. I have more important things to worry about during the day than generating one more meaningless metric for one more meaningless report.

The other fun little part will happen when I follow ORION like a good little boy and wind up 10 miles from the nearest public restroom at lunch time. When that happens, I will simply drive on the clock back to the nearest suitable place to eat, take my lunch, and then drive on the clock back to where ORION wants me to resume the route. If they want to make my life hell over some 85% compliance rate, then I can make their life hell every time its 6:30 at night and I'm up in the deep dark woods (staying hydrated like they tell me to of course) and I gotta take a leak. Nearest tree or bush in a secluded area? Hell no, I'm going for a drive clear back down in to town on the clock to the nearest public bathroom, and then back up the mountain on the clock to continue where I left off. My miles will be off the chart, but by Golly I will be well hydrated and 100% ORION compliant and we all know that that is what really matters.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
....our center manager tells us now that we have to run 85% orion trace or if we are under 85% we have to beat the miles

I had a center manager tell me once that he would fire me if I didnt stop running 45 minutes overallowed on a route.

The information he was giving me was incorrect.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
We were supposed to get Orion implemented this year but our center is 'under performing' in the center manager's words so it will be next year. I can't wait! Our Management team is already working 14-16 hour days and pulling their hair out every day due to the total clusterfcuk that is our center....................this will be a comedy of EPIC proportions

Indecisi0n

We were supposed to get Orion implemented this year but our center is 'under performing' in the center manager's words so it will be next year. I can't wait! Our Management team is already working 14-16 hour days and pulling their hair out every day due to the total clusterfcuk that is our center....................this will be a comedy of EPIC proportions

Just when you think it can't get any worse, enters Orion. One of my sups was almost in tears the other day because of the added pressure.

oldngray

nowhere special
I had a center manager tell me once that he would fire me if I didnt stop running 45 minutes overallowed on a route.

The information he was giving me was incorrect.

Always keep your anti BS software up to date. Otherwise you might get infected with something malicious.

curiousbrain

Just when you think it can't get any worse, enters Orion. One of my sups was almost in tears the other day because of the added pressure.

They haven't updated the loops in the building I used to work at for over a decade; there are streets that exist that apparently don't exist, and the opposite. Before I left, I remember talking with the PDS/ORS about Orion, and they were all scared sh|tless.

Glad I got out before the mothership landed.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
So if ups can predict all of these things and use data for this and that, why the hell don't I get extra time for the stop that I have heavier packages at..ups knows the weights of the packages in the car..it's just data right? Or more time for the dock and bell stops that are historically slower than me walking into the front of a building. How about the house or business that gets more damaged packages, and ups has data on this, why don't I get more time for this stop knowing we will have to inspect said damaged packages. How about the roads that are busier than others, do I get more time for being on those roads during certain times of the day?They want the data to only go one way...but we all know that data can be manipulated in many different directions.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Ups has "saved" most of these miles because the edd wasn't done right the first time..without input from drivers...had to go live with it by a certain time or else.

So if ups can predict all of these things and use data for this and that, why the hell don't I get extra time for the stop that I have heavier packages at..ups knows the weights of the packages in the car..it's just data right? Or more time for the dock and bell stops that are historically slower than me walking into the front of a building. How about the house or business that gets more damaged packages, and ups has data on this, why don't I get more time for this stop knowing we will have to inspect said damaged packages. How about the roads that are busier than others, do I get more time for being on those roads during certain times of the day?They want the data to only go one way...but we all know that data can be manipulated in many different directions.
The answer is NO and NO and NO....just keep pounding round peg into square hole!!

Indecisi0n

it will be bad for management. for me it will be........................................

The money is good. I feel as though UPS is shoving money down my throat and up my ass at the same time which is fine but it gets old. I don't want to work 52-55 every week.