The morning ballet of the brown sardines

If vehicles are touching before you move them you shouldn't be charge with an accident. If they arn't touching before you move, then and you scrape the vehicle next to you should be charged with an accident. Just be thankful your building wasn't built in 1966.

brownrodster

Of course my building is the same. Our management has gone by the policy if it's impossible to pull your car out without making a scrape then they let it slide... When I was a new driver I asked people to pull my car out many times. I didn't want to get DQ'd for scratching a truck in the AM.

It is also commonplace to find new scratches in the AM that occured overnight. They will place any PTer in those things with no training and let them park and fuel. Nothing is ever done to the PTer who dents and scratches trucks.

I've had PT fuelers get angry at me for my refusal to park my truck online at night to be unloaded. I just tell them that if I break a mirror or scratch a truck then i get in trouble for having an accident. If they scratch a truck or break a mirror then they just have to go tell the mechanic who takes care of it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I guess some things are a constant at UPS. Been this way for 40 years or more.
Buildings are very expensive and once the money is spent, it's gone.

I agree. The problem being that for a company that has experienced consistent growth throughout their history, they fail to learn that some growing room built into a new building will pay dividends exponentially in the future. The building I'm in was new in '86. We outgrew it in about 5 years. Expansion has been rumored ever since. Sure the initial expense may look excessive on paper but to borrow a UPS buzz phrase, GET THE BIG PICTURE.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Cars parked 1 inch apart with a right leaner and left leaner will actually be touching. We use to have people stand on the bumpers to balance out the weight (reduce lean) until we got the cars apart.

That's neat. Does that comply with safety regulations and guidelines?

Tiny Panda

Same here in the UK, funnily enough the building we are in used to be owned by Fed-Ex before they went bust over here as Federal Express. Our vehicles are parked the same, we have some drivers waiting for others to go because they cant get past the mirrors etc without taking them off, then we have to weave in between the trailers in the yard and trucks let around by the automotive guys.
Best part is, inside the warehouse nearly all the vans have a dent/scrape in exactly the same place on the front corner where they are scraped on the conyeyer belt protector when they are driven in/out of their spaces

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I have been to a lot of buildings as a result of my job. Everyone but one is overcrowded. The one that is not was overbuilt and we rent out the portion we are not using until the day we need it.

upsdude

Just a thought for any of the management folks here. How come if driver scratches a truck in the building (parking situation) it’s an accident, paper work, safety tests, conference calls etc. If a management person scratches the truck (pulling the truck out for an hourly), the truck gets a touch up at best and no further action is taken. I’m beginning to think it just depends on who you are! :peaceful:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just a thought for any of the management folks here. How come if driver scratches a truck in the building (parking situation) it’s an accident, paper work, safety tests, conference calls etc. If a management person scratches the truck (pulling the truck out for an hourly), the truck gets a touch up at best and no further action is taken. I’m beginning to think it just depends on who you are! :peaceful:

Union contract requires consistency in the handling of incidences.
Unfortunate but this drives so much of behavior on both sides.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Union contract requires consistency in the handling of incidences.
Unfortunate but this drives so much of behavior on both sides.

The information submitted in this thread would suggest that "company policy" on this issue varies greatly throughout the country.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The information submitted in this thread would suggest that "company policy" on this issue varies greatly throughout the country.
My response was in reference to your question why a union driver would be treated differently from a management person in the same situation.

Now to your NEW point :wink2: ...
I'm sure there is variance from one building to another same for district, local and region .

That comes back to a point of view that I have held over the years and that is that I don't work for UPS...I work for a person to whom I report. UPS has standards and guidelines but it always comes down to an individual.

The best person I always worked for is the one I'm reporting to now...and for my current boss that's the absolute truth! :wink2:

pudg00

pudg00
In our building you are required to have a spotter. I go get the center manager to spot for me. If he is not available I get my on car and so on.

InTheRed

Should UPS put up buildings to accomodate volume trends, so when the volume picks up, they should open a building, when the volume drops, close that building and use the original building?

Yes! Do not what makes financial sense, but what the masses think works most conveniently! Then don't lay off the employees when the volume is not there nor is the finances to pay those employees!

Parking a package car and pulling a package car out are two different things. You have total control when parking it, not always when pulling it out.

leastbest

LeastBest
why do you care if you get charged? I have 21 years safe driving and don't care if they charge me with a bogus charge. One of the drivers was scared because he got oil on a driveway and management said they may charge him. So be it.

I do my job. Charge me, I'll write a letter of rebuttal and you can keep your wallet (or other gift).