The next few weeks

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by box_beeyotch, Dec 28, 2014.

1. box_beeyotch

box_beeyotch Well-Known Member

This is my first post peak season as a full time cover, just curious what to expect this coming week and the few weeks to follow? Any advice, tips, or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

2. sailfish

sailfish Having way too much fun.

Things will get slow and you probably won't do much driving till summer or late spring. They'll probably put you back on preload or whatever belt shift you were on prior to peak until then.

3. youllbefine

youllbefine Active Member

They will cut routes and send you out with a stop count that would have been approved for a 6 hr helper !!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

Be willing to learn routes. While seniority rules, knowledge will get you hours. The more routes you know or are willing to learn, the more days you will be working.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Whatbrownwontdoforyou Well-Known Member

And most important beware of all the ups reports that come out January and February because they usually like to knit pic this time of year

6. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

Seriously? UPS nitpick? Oh that's just plain old crazy talk.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Things will get back to normal. Take the paid day for example: a mere 10 hours.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. box_beeyotch

Yeah I'm pretty knowledgeable. I know about 15 routes, 3 whole loops, and I have vast knowledge of different areas from my peak route. I'm more than willing to go out in the blind as I'm still young and dumb enough to enjoy the challenge lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. 9.5er

9.5er Well-Known Member

If you have area knowledge you should be able to work most days. In my center senior drivers take off a day a week. Some will take two a week. I often have to call in to get a day off. Sometimes I think I know too many routes.

10. box_beeyotch

Lol yeah I know all the right ones. From April when I started until peak started, I only had 3 layoff days and I came in and worked local sort.

11. Pooter

Pooter Active Member

Unfortunately with the mass hiring you might be laid off 2 days a week.

Always call and never take a day off when asked, even if they try to guilt trip you with lower seniority drivers need work too. It sucks but we all climb the same ladder.

Hopefully u aren't dead last in seniority.

12. margaritaville

margaritaville Active Member

I personally dont care about getting laid off a bunch. Long as its not permanent. I was making bank as an air driver getting max wage for 2 years why ups was understaffed. Now i switched to fulltime and making the lowest wage. So i might as well just sit back and relax til i get a higher pay scale again.

13. Mike hunt

Mike hunt Guest

A lot of vacations the month of January and heavy volume. Probably run a lot of stuff you know.

14. box_beeyotch

No sir, actually I have about 10 guys below me as I was in the first wave of the mass full time promotions.

15. AKCoverMan

AKCoverMan Active Member

Brown up and show up every morning. If your there ready to go you can get put in as a game-time decision. Senior guys who want to take a day will hand in their DIADs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. cheeks

cheeks Member

Show up every day, ask drivers if they want the day off, TAKE their diad board from their hand to help them decide.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. box_beeyotch

I'm assuming also if someone below me in seniority is scheduled for a route on any given day, I'm allowed to bump them?

18. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

Yes, you get to work before anyone below you, and after everyone above you, unless you have a bid route.

19. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

January to April is when I make bank. Ot is available if you ask them for it.
    They will try to push the make believe numbers at you a.little more. DOK crap and assessments. Either way it makes you money. They haven't figured this scam out yet. Shhhhhhh!! Don't tell them :-)

20. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

It's the best time of the year to make bank if you want the hours, just ask. Mention you wanna work and watch all the FT drivers crawl on their knees to attach their fob to your belt.