The "scratch" timer...

Grey

Does the computer timing route-projector not take into account things like traffic, customer issues and apartments (like Prerecord)?

Yesterday I finished my dels before my PU's. Came back directly to the hub and didn't gas up. Still over an hour over-allowed.

Are some routes just impossible to be scratch?

T

Turdferguson

Does the computer timing route-projector not take into account things like traffic, customer issues and apartments (like Prerecord)?

Yesterday I finished my dels before my PU's. Came back directly to the hub and didn't gas up. Still over an hour over-allowed.

No they don't and don't care.
Yes. So work safe, work steady and don't worry about the rest. You will enjoy life at UPS more that way

ibleedbrown

scratch can be achieved by, sorting your truck off the clock, working through breaks, lunch, leaping out of truck without using handrails and sprinting to and from every stop, throwing packages from sidewalk onto persons porch, dr'ing everything, speeding and not following traffic rules, leaving car running and bulkhead door open at every stop....or if u work in the BOG you can run scratch everyday by following the methods. did i leave anything out?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Some idle time is figured into the dispatch, but not not near enough to reflect real life. I know one of our city routes figure only about 10 minutes of stop light time a day. If that guy only does 10 minutes a day at a stoplight I'll eat my work boots.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Nope. But their numbers only matter to them, not us.

They cannot discipline you for not meeting their numbers.

If you are consistently an hour over, they may ride with you to find out why. If they ride with you and you run scratch, and then consistently run an hour over by yourself, they may try the discipline route for failing to do the same job supervised as unsupervised.

This does not mean didley on a one day ride. But they may push the issue and do a 3 day ride. If you aren't at least close to the 3 day average, the Steward and BA may be sitting down with you and management.

But to answer your question, their time study numbers just take into account, miles, pieces, delivery stops, pickup stops (each loop with their separate time allowances), COD's, over 70's and a few other minor things.

The time study does not take into account traffic delays, customer delays, etc.

But if you run an hour over, your center manager may just ask you why. The report just shows him that you must have had some problem out there.

If you tell him you were stuck on the highway behind a wreck for an hour, that explains the hour over and everything is kosher.

If you tell him nothing out of the ordinary happened, and you continue running an hour over, be prepared for him to start digging and possible production rides.

Wilson

Your not supposed to catch the carrot.

DHBlogFig41.jpg

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

It is no different than a rigged carnival game.

rod

Retired 22 years
Some idle time is figured into the dispatch, but not not near enough to reflect real life. I know one of our city routes figure only about 10 minutes of stop light time a day. If that guy only does 10 minutes a day at a stoplight I'll eat my work boots.

I think someone is feeding you a line of BS. Any "idle time" has long since been squeezed out of an allowance for the delivery day. Everyday is a perfect day according to those in charge of numbers----you know-- the ones with their feet on their desks in an air-conditioned office. One of the main reasons someone isn't running scratch or better) is because the numbers on that route are impossible to meet. I never ran scratch on my route for 20+ years---and neither did any vacation driver. Would they fix the problem---hell no----they just continued to add more stops with each new DIAD or program that came along. Every new center manager (and I had my share of them - at least 8 that I can remember) who blew into town said he was going to straighten out that route (blaming me) and would have me change this or that and ride with me and everyone of them ended up after a couple of months telling me to just go back to the way I was doing it. Sometimes they just plain have their heads up their rears so far it impossible to see the problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

scratch can be achieved by, sorting your truck off the clock, working through breaks, lunch, leaping out of truck without using handrails and sprinting to and from every stop, throwing packages from sidewalk onto persons porch, dr'ing everything, speeding and not following traffic rules, leaving car running and bulkhead door open at every stop....or if u work in the BOG you can run scratch everyday by following the methods. did i leave anything out?

I find it amusing when a preloader tries to talk about that which he/she has no clue.

Coalminer2005

I've given up trying to figure it out. I could run close to scratch one day and 45 minutes over the next on the same route. I focus on working safe and making sure each stop is a good delivery. UPS came up with the number system which I have little faith in.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

Here's the only things that matter. Work safe. Take care of your safety first. Don't put the public in harms way. Make service everyday.

After that, let them worry about the useless gauge of numbers for metrics that really don't matter. You'll have a long and decent career with less stress.

That's how the game is played. Rinse repeat retire happy.

Re-Raise

Rigged carny games? Say it isn't so! Going to the Wisconsin State Fair tomorrow. Was hoping to lug a giant Minion stuffed animal around all day.
Order a giant stuffed Minion on Amazon, they probably sell them.

Go to the fair and buy a corndog. Or buy a corndog on Amazon and skip the fair all together.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Scratch numbers were came up with by the same people who think delivering both sides of a four lane business strip at the same time in the name of saving mileage is good idea. I can't recall one day where I worried about them.