The Semantics and Deception of Contract Language vs. IBT Highlights..

InsideUPS

Anyone that has ever filed a grievance and attempted to use the contract language to defend that grievance will appreciate the importance of fine details in our contract. For example.....in regard to the topic of SurePost..........Look at the two statements regarding the weight limit of SurePost packages. (actual language examples below)

1) In our IBT Highlight Flyer....the packages ARE LIMITED to 10 pounds in weight....

2) In the actual contract language....the SurePost weight limit magically turns into NORMALLY 10 pounds......

which opens the door for just about any weight....

Lesson Learned - READ & UNDERSTAND the ACTUAL CONTRACT LANGUAGE....DO NOT RELY ON HIGHLIGHTS...SUMMARIES...WORD OF MOUTH, ETC.. DETERMINE WHAT LANGUAGE AFFECTS YOU THE MOST AND READ THAT LANGUAGE...BEFORE YOU VOTE......AND MOST OF ALL....BRING YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE LOCAL MEETING...AND VOICE YOUR CONCERNS.

Example 1A. SurePost Highlight from IBT Flyer

Surepost packages are limited to 10 pounds in weight and less than 3 cubic feet in size.
Surepost is limited as an offering for busi- ness to residential only. It cannot be used for business-to-business shipments.

Example 1B. SurePost Tentative Agreement Language
Section 4 – Surepost
1) In order to retain existing commercial customers that are solicited by a competitor offering services similar to those described herein, or to attract new commercial customers, the Company may offer service contracts that include the delivery of packages by the USPS. Packages eligible for such delivery will normally be less than ten (10) pounds in weight and less than three (3) cubic feet in size,

SouthernComfort

I read them carefully as well, but one has me stumped. Article 37(page 30) in regards to 9.5
Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver.

Ive been cover driving for 8 years part time, Im not full time yet, what does this mean? Looks like even full time drivers with less than 4 years do not have 9.5 rights?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
why 10 lbs....90% of the packages I see that are surepost are 1-5 lbs and much smaller than 3 feet cubed..

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Anyone that has ever filed a grievance and attempted to use the contract language to defend that grievance will appreciate the importance of fine details in our contract. For example.....in regard to the topic of SurePost..........Look at the two statements regarding the weight limit of SurePost packages. (actual language examples below)

1) In our IBT Highlight Flyer....the packages ARE LIMITED to 10 pounds in weight....

2) In the actual contract language....the SurePost weight limit magically turns into NORMALLY 10 pounds......

which opens the door for just about any weight....

Lesson Learned - READ & UNDERSTAND the ACTUAL CONTRACT LANGUAGE....DO NOT RELY ON HIGHLIGHTS...SUMMARIES...WORD OF MOUTH, ETC.. DETERMINE WHAT LANGUAGE AFFECTS YOU THE MOST AND READ THAT LANGUAGE...BEFORE YOU VOTE......AND MOST OF ALL....BRING YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE LOCAL MEETING...AND VOICE YOUR CONCERNS.

Example 1A. SurePost Highlight from IBT Flyer

Surepost packages are limited to 10 pounds in weight and less than 3 cubic feet in size.
Surepost is limited as an offering for busi- ness to residential only. It cannot be used for business-to-business shipments.

Section 4 – Surepost
1) In order to retain existing commercial customers that are solicited by a competitor offering services similar to those described herein, or to attract new commercial customers, the Company may offer service contracts that include the delivery of packages by the USPS. Packages eligible for such delivery will normally be less than ten (10) pounds in weight and less than three (3) cubic feet in size,

Way to see want you want to see. Within so many days after ratification, the company will implement technology to insure that every sure post pkg that is over 3 cubic feet or over 10 pounds will be delivered as a ground pkg by UPS.

Inthegame

I read them carefully as well, but one has me stumped. Article 37(page 30) in regards to 9.5
Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver.

Ive been cover driving for 8 years part time, Im not full time yet, what does this mean? Looks like even full time drivers with less than 4 years do not have 9.5 rights?
You haven't read as carefully as you should. You're missing the meaning of the word "or" as opposed to "and".

Delivered

Way to see want you want to see. Within so many days after ratification, the company will implement technology to insure that every sure post pkg that is over 3 cubic feet or over 10 pounds will be delivered as a ground pkg by UPS.

Our what?? We file a grievance, just like we did when UPS started to use the USPS as subcontractors which violated the previous contract and the Union did nothing

SouthernComfort

OR 4 years of seniority as a FULL-TIME package driver. I am not a full time package driver, I am a part time employee that drives package 10 months a year. I might drive 4 straight months, then be pushed back into the hub(part time) for a week or 2 when there are no vacations and/or volume is unusually low.
I do not have 1 day of full time package seniority, however, I have been driving since 2005 AND have gotten 156 reports(or more) a year.

Inthegame

Our what?? We file a grievance, just like we did when UPS started to use the USPS as subcontractors which violated the previous contract and the Union did nothing
Have you heard of SmartPost? Would you prefer UPS refuse to match the FedEx offering and lose thousands of packages daily, packages that move throughout the UPS system from p/u to delivery?(to the PO) and how would that improve your position?

HubBub

Section 4 – Surepost

What does "normally" even mean here? Does it mean that 51% of surepost packages will be 10 lbs and 3 cubic ft or less, but the other 49% can be anything bigger or heavier? Who let that word through and why? Cmon man.

Delivered

Have you heard of SmartPost? Would you prefer UPS refuse to match the FedEx offering and lose thousands of packages daily, packages that move throughout the UPS system from p/u to delivery?(to the PO) and how would that improve your position?
UPS used SurePost to try and win the Postal Contract that we lost to Fedex again... How many routes has your center lost because of SurePost?? I take half a route (60-70 stops) to a city PO on my route everyday. We've got a few rural routes that take an entire route to the post office. It's lose-lose for us drivers either way

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
UPS used SmartPost to try and win the Postal Contract that we lost to Fedex again... How many routes has your center lost because of SmartPost?? I take half a route (60-70 stops) to a city PO on my route everyday. We've got a few rural routes that take an entire route to the post office. It's lose-lose for us drivers either way

SmartPost is FedEx.

Inthegame

UPS used SmartPost to try and win the Postal Contract that we lost to Fedex again... How many routes has your center lost because of SmartPost?? I take half a route (60-70 stops) to a city PO on my route everyday. We've got a few rural routes that take an entire route to the post office. It's lose-lose for us drivers either way
So if all Surepost you're delivering to the PO are gone tomorrow to FedEx, how does that improve your life? UPS doesn't like SurePost anymore than you but without those boxes, a whole lot less people have jobs at UPS.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
with a weight limit of 10 lbs or under and 3 feet cubed we might get a few hundred packages back into the system....a year. I have maybe seen an over 10 lb surepost package 1 time since the service started....this wording wont be a drop in the bucket...although I should be more optimistic, it might make 1/2 of a route overall across the whole of the U.S.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
What does "normally" even mean here? Does it mean that 51% of surepost packages will be 10 lbs and 3 cubic ft or less, but the other 49% can be anything bigger or heavier? Who let that word through and why? Cmon man.

It could mean that if Amazon comes back and says it has to be 12 pounds or the volume goes to FedEx, then 12 pounds it is.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
So if all Surepost you're delivering to the PO are gone tomorrow to FedEx, how does that improve your life? UPS doesn't like SurePost anymore than you but without those boxes, a whole lot less people have jobs at UPS.

I understand what you're saying but maybe we should just subcontract everything out to the post office and get rid of EVERYBODY except for the few top managers...there has to be a line drawn somewhere....and Im sure some beancounter DOES like this service!

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

Says who? Don't tell me that Stink has taugh you to make s#!+ up too.

SouthernComfort

Why do we give the volume to usps? We made over 4 billion in net profits last year...USPS, lost over 15 billion. Whos methods/employees seem to be more productive? Ours.... or theirs?