The truth about ups

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Who said it was? For example Coca Cola make massive profits but they do not all over their staff to make those profits.

Obviously you have not talked to many Coke employees. I have talked to many and they all said they are stressed out and under a lot of pressure. One was my next door neighbor before he died of a heart attack.

beentheredonethat

Is there anyone in upper management that can justify the push for production and reduction in customer service?
Well, I'm not in upper mgmt, but I can list a few reasons.
1. The company has a commitment to shareholders to be profitable. Even with this year being a good year, we only made a profit of 11% of revenue.
2. We can be the best service company in the world, but if we aren't profitable, we won't be around in the future.
3. Domestically in the US, (and similarly for other areas in world). UPS pays the highest wages compared to our competitors (mainly FDX, USPS, and DHL).
4. The USPS loses billions each year, and they have a monopoly and don't pay real estate taxes, excise tax, parking tickets etc. They don't even have to make a profit, their goal is to only break even and with a monopoly on mail, they should be able to easily do it, if not for bad mgmt.
5. FDX has a tremendous cost advantage on us when you look at how much more our drivers make then their drivers. Also include the cost of H&W and pension payments UPS makes vs what FDX pays as benefits to their drivers. Additionally FDX trasnsports their loads from Hub to hub via inexpensive gypsy drivers, where UPS either utilizes rail for long distance or UPS drivers for shorter distance. This is a big cost disadvantage.
6. The only way to stay profitable, with these obstacles is to be efficient and productive.

As far as Service. I realize that there are mistakes made, sometimes by accident, sometimes they are intentional. However, as a company we have to make decisions. If you asked every customer when they want delivery and when they want pickup. 90+% of them will want to be delivered first thing in the AM, and 90+% will want a pickup as late as possible. Customers that have been used to early delivery but relooping caused their delievery to be later are upset. We as a company need to determine which are the most valuable customers and give those customers as good a service as possible. I've been involved with some customers who recieve over 1000+ NDA Ltrs per day (Yes per day). We put in special driver runs, did special operating plans in SDF, so we can get all of these pkgs (weather NDA or NDP) delivered earlier then the EAM commit time. We had 50% of their volume before, but after our special operating plans, we recieved 95% of all their inbound volume (which is what they controlled).

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Hopefully the fat Union guys were there to make sure everything was by Union employees. :wink2:

If it was Friday at my hub, they'd see my fat cat wallet with the blue envelope stuffed in it as I entered the "Mobile Brown Cash Vault" to hand out more prizes. Might need to get an irreg cart to bring my check to me this week.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Maybe I CAN fight city hall,

chewonthis,

I have copy and pasted my questions and answers that you gave.

I have replied below your answers.

chewonthis,

Before I would be willing to be involved in anything like this, I would need to know the following:

1. What are some of the specific issues you have attempted to address with the company or the union?
The company will not listen,the union is useless.

Why do you say this?

2. What steps have you taken to resolve them?
There is only one thing left to do.

What have you done already?

Please include who you communicated with and how you communicated your concerns. (no names please! only job title!)

3. What was the company or union response to your concern and how was it communicated?
Check your first 5 stops and go.

?

Sincerely,
I

Bristol Brown

Obviously you have not talked to many Coke employees. I have talked to many and they all said they are stressed out and under a lot of pressure. One was my next door neighbor before he died of a heart attack.

I worked for Coca Cola for 10 years and the treatment of staff was far better than it is at UPS.

TUT

Mcdonalds is hiring.
Do you really know this for a fact? I have to to think Applebee's must be looking for a few million new employee's as that is what Fox News always uses when talking about those unemployed who need to get off their duff's, they say Applebee's is hiring! I hope a few Fox News people get axed someday, so I can tell them to go to Applebee's for a job and I bet coming down from 250K plus to $400 a week unemployment will be a real eye-opener to, since they think that is a lot of money.

DS

Fenderbender
Do you really know this for a fact? I have to to think Applebee's must be looking for a few million new employee's as that is what Fox News always uses when talking about those unemployed who need to get off their duff's, they say Applebee's is hiring! I hope a few Fox News people get axed someday, so I can tell them to go to Applebee's for a job and I bet coming down from 250K plus to $400 a week unemployment will be a real eye-opener to, since they think that is a lot of money.
My wifes boy is a waiter at Applebee's.He makes minimum wage plus tips.Sometimes its $75.00 others,$250.00.a NIGHT.
His gf is an accounts manager at a bank.They have 2 cars,a baby and a mortgage,and they are doing ok.
So maybe fox news is telling the truth this time.

satellitedriver

It's the truth the stock holders are gonna cut your kids benefits
?
I am a 25yr driver and a stock holder.
The truth is that stock holders have absolutely no say in the contract negotiations between the union and UPS.
Another truth you should learn, UPS only provides the money and the union decides how many benefits they will provide to the kiddies.
My union pension has decreased over the past 25yrs, while UPS has increased the weekly payment into it.
-(UPS now puts $254.00 a week towards my retirement)-
That is roughly what the union will give me in retirement after taxes and a very sub par health insurance, which I would have to pay $800.00 a month, with a $150,000.00 yearly maximum. No dental, no Vision and would have to pay 20% on any major medical.
While working my UPS insurance is excellent, by any present standard.
-(UPS pays about $1,300.00 a month for my health benefits)-
I had cancer surgery last year, spent 10 days in the hospital and only had to pay $38.00 to one lab that did the final biopsy.
Thank you, UPS.

My union

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
?
I am a 25yr driver and a stock holder.
The truth is that stock holders have absolutely no say in the contract negotiations between the union and UPS.
Another truth you should learn, UPS only provides the money and the union decides how many benefits they will provide to the kiddies.
My union pension has decreased over the past 25yrs, while UPS has increased the weekly payment into it.
-(UPS now puts $254.00 a week towards my retirement)-
That is roughly what the union will give me in retirement after taxes and a very sub par health insurance, which I would have to pay $800.00 a month, with a $150,000.00 yearly maximum. No dental, no Vision and would have to pay 20% on any major medical.
While working my UPS insurance is excellent, by any present standard.
-(UPS pays about $1,300.00 a month for my health benefits)-
I had cancer surgery last year, spent 10 days in the hospital and only had to pay $38.00 to one lab that did the final biopsy.
Thank you, UPS.

My union

Yea, times are coming. Money is worth less and things cost so much more. I dont really care about money, but as of late its starting to look like an attraction to obtain, and lots of it. The time will come where UPS gets their way and deals away from benefits altogether and pays a little better starting out, but thats all.

Re-Raise

-(UPS now puts $254.00 a week towards my retirement)

I know it is different in different parts of the country, but in 710 they are now contributing $375.00 a week as of Aug 1, 2011.

Omega man

I personally would be a bit reluctant to air my company's "dirty laundry" in public.

I understand the sentiment behind what you are trying to accomplish, but my concern would be that our customers response would be to use the competition instead of UPS, and that serves no purpose whatsoever.

And in any case, it isnt the public that needs to know what goes on in the average hub or center...its Scott Davis and his people in Atlanta. I am convinced that these guys are so obsessed with technology and chasing metrics that they truly have no concept of what actually happens in the real world of a package car or a sort aisle.

Scott Davis and his people in Atlanta could be the problem.