Things I've Learned as a Courier.

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by Fred's Myth, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Fred's Myth

Fred's Myth Active Member

I'd like to propose this thread as an opportunity for everyone to share any advice or experiences along a more lighthearted vein. One of the more enjoyable pastimes I pursue is exchanging 'war stories' when socializing with coworkers. To set the example:

As a rural area courier, one of the things I've learned, is that when bagging and releasing a package at the recipients locked gate, make sure you're not standing on a fire ant mound.

Yeah, it happened.:blushing:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Try as I might I will never be as good as the UPS guy.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  3. SmithBarney

SmithBarney Well-Known Member

What's a fire ant... none around here...

I do something special for all my customers(if I can) I can't mention it here though or it would give me away to the super powers, my mgr frequents this site, and I knows what I do.

As a side note I WILL GET MY TIPS THIS YEAR... they moved my route during peak and the people covering it took all my tips, Regular customers asked how I liked the wine and cheese basket, or if I got the $$... I didn't get anything...oooh those pricks Even the CVS gave me a gift card(for CVS) which I never got from the jerk covering that area.

4. MAKAVELI

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

Curious, just what makes you better?

5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The shorter list would be those areas where I am inferior.

It would be blank.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  6. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

image.jpg

7. MAKAVELI

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

What list? Please elaborate Obi Wan Kenobi?

8. Route 66

Route 66 Flacid Member

Dave is nothing if not humble

9. I Am Jacks Damaged Box

I Am Jacks Damaged Box Well-Known Member

Fire ants are no joke. When I was in Basic Training, a buddy and I found a mound and had a contest to see who could keep their hand in the longest. But then again, young and dumb was how I ended up in the Army to begin with.

10. dezguy

dezguy Well-Known Member

Courier pro tip.

Wild turkeys may attack you.

11. Fred's Myth

Fred's Myth Active Member

Self explanatory description....South American ant relocated to U.S. whose bite/sting burns like fire and leaves a blister. Not pleasant.

12. I Am Jacks Damaged Box

Oh, on topic though. Things I have learned as a courier?

Nothing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

And they sneak up on you. You don't know they're on your foot until they all start biting at the same time.

14. I Am Jacks Damaged Box

Must be the BOG list of the Jedi Council.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Code 82 Approved

Code 82 Approved Titanium Plus+ Level Member

My first few years at Ground, I was a private swing driver hired by a half dozen contractors to give them more vacation. I basically did one route and went to the next route the week after. Rinse and repeat.

4 of those were rural routes during that time, and one had this house about a mile in from the main road. A real winding turd with low branches and a few suspect bridges over creeks that flowed through the property. Once at the house, there was little room to turn around a P1000. But it was do-able if they didn't have cars in the way. A true test of close quarters maneuvering.

On my last visit to this hell house, I was greeted by a friendly Weimaraner dog. I threw him a dog biscuit and took a step up the stairs to the porch, only to be bitten right in the ass. Left them a note on their door explaining what happened, along with my cell #. I explained I would be happy to meet them at the road, take their pkgs to their work, or whatever solution they wished to suggest. No response.

For the rest of the time I did that route I hung their packages in a bag at the highway sign identifying their house number with the following msg on a door tag:

I'm the bitten one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

I have learned FedEx is a sh1t company and the biggest piece of sh1t is Fred Smith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. WestcoastHD

WestcoastHD Massive Stinkies

Haha! I do the same exact thing. Unless it's a lab or a golden retriever, it gets bagged and released by the mailbox. I don't get paid enough to get bit by dogs.

18. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

You better get a gauge and check the pressure of your ego, Dave. It's getting a little over-inflated.