Thinking about applying for Sunrise (3AM to 8AM) and I have some questions

NI3

I'm fairly new to the job market and I'm considering applying for Sunrise shift at UPS.

The pay is $9.50/hr starting, $10.50 after 3 months and $11/hr + full benefits after one year for employees, full benefits for dependents after 1 1/2 years. I'm a single guy so this isn't a major factor.
I was told by an HR rep that many people are package handlers at night and entrepreneurs during the day and stay at UPS primarily for benefits.

Do I have the opportunity for further raises?

What are the pros and cons of UPS job at this wage compared to similar jobs that aren't as physically demanding with benefits that pay better? (Starbucks, Red Cross, inventory clerk at HVAC place, just to name a few). Is there any benefit to UPS over other jobs that offer $13/hr if I wouldn't be utilizing tuition assistance? I should also mention that I will have to pay $150 or so for Teamsters initiation in installments, and once that's paid up, a monthly due of twice hourly straight rate. I'm told that union wants the dues paid 3 months in advance. Something they emphasized is how little I will be taking home until my initiation is paid off. Is it worth it?

How hard is it to hold pre-load for any lengths of time? I chose pre-load, because it gives me time to do other things during the day and I was told its a "skilled task" that pays a tad bit better (70cents/hr more than loader/unloader)

There are two buildings I'm considering. One is closer to my school, one is closer to home. I have toured both and I would like to know if one building is harder on the body.

One is a smaller building. The pre-load operates with package cars parked facing inwards on both sides on a raised platform. The package comes in on a moving conveyor belt in the middle. When I toured, it was not moving. Preloaders had a lot of room to put aside package for later loading. They put them under the belt, along side the truck and such.

The other building is much larger. The working surface where preloaders work from is a conveyor belt. It's much narrower than the wooden platform at the other building. In this building, the center isle is a continuously moving color coded metal cages you have to pick out from as they move. You walk on the belt pick packages from the cage and load them onto the package cars backed into the other side of the belt.

I believe there is another loading platform on the otherside of the isle. It's setup like this:

[truck][belt][moving cages][belt][truck]

The moving cage system looks much faster paced and more demanding.

If I decide to apply for this job, should I go with the one with belt in middle of the platform or the one with moving cages?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I'm fairly new to the job market and I'm considering applying for Sunrise shift at UPS.

The pay is $9.50/hr starting, $10.50 after 3 months and $11/hr + full benefits after one year for employees, full benefits for dependents after 1 1/2 years. I'm a single guy so this isn't a major factor.
I was told by an HR rep that many people are package handlers at night and entrepreneurs during the day and stay at UPS primarily for benefits.

Do I have the opportunity for further raises?
Yes. Yearly.
What are the pros and cons of UPS job at this wage compared to similar jobs that aren't as physically demanding with benefits that pay better? (Starbucks, Red Cross, inventory clerk at HVAC place, just to name a few). Is there any benefit to UPS over other jobs that offer $13/hr if I wouldn't be utilizing tuition assistance? I should also mention that I will have to pay $150 or so for Teamsters initiation in installments, and once that's paid up, a monthly due of twice hourly straight rate. I'm told that union wants the dues paid 3 months in advance. Something they emphasized is how little I will be taking home until my initiation is paid off. Is it worth it?
I had to pay $250 initiation. Never heard of dues in advance. Apply at local 705/710. Chicago area. Seriously.
How hard is it to hold pre-load for any lengths of time? I chose pre-load, because it gives me time to do other things during the day and I was told its a "skilled task" that pays a tad bit better (70cents/hr more than loader/unloader)
Preload is very difficult. The job it leads to is worth it.
There are two buildings I'm considering. One is closer to my school, one is closer to home. I have toured both and I would like to know if one building is harder on the body.

One is a smaller building. The pre-load operates with package cars parked facing inwards on both sides on a raised platform. The package comes in on a moving conveyor belt in the middle. When I toured, it was not moving. Preloaders had a lot of room to put aside package for later loading. They put them under the belt, along side the truck and such.
This is the style I worked at, Never worked a boxline\/, so I have no clue.
The other building is much larger. The working surface where preloaders work from is a conveyor belt. It's much narrower than the wooden platform at the other building. In this building, the center isle is a continuously moving color coded metal cages you have to pick out from as they move. You walk on the belt pick packages from the cage and load them onto the package cars backed into the other side of the belt.

I believe there is another loading platform on the otherside of the isle. It's setup like this:

[truck][belt][moving cages][belt][truck]

The moving cage system looks much faster paced and more demanding.

If I decide to apply for this job, should I go with the one with belt in middle of the platform or the one with moving cages?
​Having never worked a boxline, I can't tell you which is worse. Neither is easy. The boxline comes back around, so you get a second chance to grab the packages, I hear.
As far as any research, I will leave that to you to do. Good luck.

nystripe96

There's a prestige and respect factor you'd garner by working for UPS which you'd never get working at Starbucks. I work the twilight. Typically 6:00-10:00 nightly. Still leaves my entire day open, & I can sleep normal hours too (food for thought), pre-load is the toughest shift from what I've heard so far in my short time with the company.

menotyou

bella amicizia
There's a prestige and respect factor you'd garner by working for UPS which you'd never get working at Starbucks. I work the twilight. Typically 6:00-10:00 nightly. Still leaves my entire day open, & I can sleep normal hours too (food for thought), pre-load is the toughest shift from what I've heard so far in my short time with the company.
You ain't kidding!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

NI3, since you are in school and I assume that you do not plan to make UPS your career I would look elsewhere for employment. Part timers are not paid nearly as much as they should be for the work that they do. I would assume that you are still covered by your parents insurance (up until age 26 under Obamacare) so benefits are not the issue.

I think you should practicing saying things like "grande" and "mocha latte" to impress the yuppies who enjoy overpriced coffee.

NI3

If you apply and get the job, they're going to put you whenever they want to put you. Work as directed
This position was advertised heavily at my school with the assumption that students are going to school during the day. If they put students to work outside of 3-8AM time frame its not going to work out. Some students have 5:40PM to 9:20PM classes.

NI3, since you are in school and I assume that you do not plan to make UPS your career I would look elsewhere for employment. Part timers are not paid nearly as much as they should be for the work that they do. I would assume that you are still covered by your parents insurance (up until age 26 under Obamacare) so benefits are not the issue.

I think you should practicing saying things like "grande" and "mocha latte" to impress the yuppies who enjoy overpriced coffee.
Unfortunately I'm not covered by health insurance. However, do you think the reform might make UPS less attractive to 18-26 population who work at the hub?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unfortunately I'm not covered by health insurance. However, do you think the reform might make UPS less attractive to 18-26 population who work at the hub?

It very well could. I do know that if I were in college, was still covered under my parents' plan and was unable to get a work study job I would look for work anywhere but UPS. $8.50/hr to bust my ass for 3-4 hours? No thanks.

NI3

There's a prestige and respect factor you'd garner by working for UPS which you'd never get working at Starbucks.
To whom does working at UPS make me more prestigious and respectable so that I am more marketable?

Places like Apple Store and Starbucks are world recognized brands and they foster customer service and public experience often required for other positions. I think those places are much more competitive and harder to get into as I have no retail or customer service experience.

I work the twilight. Typically 6:00-10:00 nightly. Still leaves my entire day open, & I can sleep normal hours too (food for thought), pre-load is the toughest shift from what I've heard so far in my short time with the company.
That does sound like a better shift. I may really regret applying for 3-8AM preload. Apparently some union restrictions make it hard to change shift after I'm hired so I'm told.

menotyou, you said its difficult but the jobs it leads to is worthwhile. What jobs might they be?

nystripe96

Tell someone u work for UPS, they know you bust your ass for a living. Tell someone you work at Starbucks, they know you make coffee. What sounds more prestigious to you?

Southwestern

NI3 (or judging by your name, comments and style, should I say AssistantSanta ;)),
I'll try to answer your questions:

*Additional raises will come on your anniversary date (50c each year). Should you still be employed when the next contract is signed, you'll receive the raises specified by the contract on the dates specified by the contract.

*In some areas of the country, UPS offers tuition reimbursement to all P/Ters. You'll have to inquire with HR to determine if your location participates (and it could be just the hub).

*Skilled pay is $1 more. If you're starting at $9.50, you've already earned it (starting pay is $8.50).

*Most UPS buildings have three styles. You've described two (the boxlines are the oldest designs, the belt down the middle are mainly from the 70s and early 80s). Centers with boxlines tend to move at a slower pace, although that's not always true. As I've never worked with a boxline (just the other two styles, and I prefer the newest style not described) I can't comment.

*Why UPS? That's for you to decide. Good wages (sorry, part-timers - at least it's a stepping stone), excellent health & retirement benefits and plenty of other opportunities (driving, management, operations, etc.) make a popular choice. Some people enjoy the odd start times of the sorts. If you prefer McD's, go apply to McD's.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You never did it in the first place how would you know what it's like!!!

You are absolutely right--I have never worked on the inside (other than on air only operational days where the drivers do their own sort) and I don't know what these kids do. But, I do know that you don't have to know how to load them to deliver them. I also know that if I were 18 and in college UPS would be the last place that I would want to work.

Southwestern

You are absolutely right--I have never worked on the inside (other than on air only operational days where the drivers do their own sort) and I don't know what these kids do. But, I do know that you don't have to know how to load them to deliver them. I also know that if I were 18 and in college UPS would be the last place that I would want to work.

UPS is a great job for most young college students:
-- a fixed schedule (well, start times deviate a little but not by much) with weekends off
-- start & finish times before & after class
-- generally 3-4 hours per day
-- up to $10.50 per hour after 90-days, compared to most entry-level jobs paying minimum wage ($7.20 nationally)
-- college tuition reimburstment program in many centers
-- part-time supervision opportunities w/tuition reimburstment in all centers

A 23-year-old can graduate college with NO DEBT (or very little) and with experience as a part-time sup will have greater earnings potential & more job offers than a 23-year-old who went off to college, graduated with $60,000-$100,000 in debt and worked only odds and ends jobs.

NI3

Tell someone u work for UPS, they know you bust your ass for a living. Tell someone you work at Starbucks, they know you make coffee. What sounds more prestigious to you?

I'm not sure what you mean by prestigious. Almost all the jobs I look on the school's job listing resource requires about a year of public contact or customer service experience.

I may consider night (10PM to 5AM) but I was told pre-load pays 70 cents/hour(2012 state minimum wage of $8.80 vs $9.50) more and 3AM to 8:15AM is workable for me as far as classes are concerned.

When I apply for another job, I'm not sure how they'll like "I showed up and moved boxes" at UPS any better than "I took order, resolved customer complaints, made coffee as ordered and can effectively operate cash register" .

Jobs are hard to find and I need resume fillers.

NI3

A 23-year-old can graduate college with NO DEBT (or very little) and with experience as a part-time sup will have greater earnings potential & more job offers than a 23-year-old who went off to college, graduated with $60,000-$100,000 in debt and worked only odds and ends jobs.
In both of the buildings I checked out, tuition reimbursement is limited to $1,500/term;$3,000/year;$15,000/lifetime. I was told that if you become a PT Supervisor, the lifetime allowance goes up $20,000.

Someone said Earn and learn depends on area participation. Where do you live that offers $60 to 100K lifetime limit?

They say that if I'm in a package touching position, I get all paid for benefits after a year. I'm told that if I do well, there is potential to become a PT supervisor but I have to pay for benefits. In the end, I'm not sure which would get me more take home pay. Package handler with paid for benefits and two hours of pay for some dues vs supervising package handlers and paying benefits.

They told me not to keep any hopes up for "combo" or "driving" position as you can only get that by being on the wait list for a decade. A decade? That's outrageous.

washington57

I would rather work for UPS than Starbucks. You have the opportunity to retain some dignity at UPS while at Starbucks you have zero chance of that. You can find out why that is for yourself though. Good luck!