Thoughts of your local...

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by cafelatte, Apr 18, 2015.

1. cafelatte

cafelatte Member

Good, Bad or Indifferent

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Our local what?

3. cafelatte

cafelatte Member

well we can start with local union. Then we can always branch out from there

4. MassWineGuy

MassWineGuy Active Member

No apostrophe in "thoughts."

5. cafelatte

cafelatte Member

thank you wine

6. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

Good as can be

7. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Our local does a great job at getting people back to work after being terminated. Usually when they deserved being terminated. If I have an issue I only have to make a phone call and it will be returned that day. Sometimes I may not like the answer and sometimes management does not like the answer. Most of the time the Union weakness comes from a lack of members participation in enforcing their rights. So many times I have told new PTers to just make a phone call and a lot of "stuff" will end. Even PT jr when asked to come in early to do set up refuses because "I don't end up getting paid for it and just work for free." One of the easiest problems to get resolved. Just takes a phone call. Of course I have been battling a pay issue for the last month so I know how he feels. Of course having a $300.00 payroll correction makes it worthwhile.

8. Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond Robot Extraordinaire

What local are you in?

Oops, I forgot you're a wannabe.

9. govols019

govols019 You smell that?

I'm happy with my Local. When I call, they answer. When I have an issue, they help.

10. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

My local runs our Health benefits as well as our pension. Happy with both. Other than that, haven't had that much interaction.

11. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

Like my local. Have always fought for our rights under the contact. Does a lot to encourage participation in the local, and with the other unions in our area.

12. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

I am lucky to have such a great Local

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. upsmaninmi

upsmaninmi Member

Takes two weeks to get a response from ours. Only time we see them is when it's time to renew the "drive" donation.

14. UpstateNYUPSer

Your local has nothing to do with DRIVE.

15. upsmaninmi

upsmaninmi Member

Apparently those are imposters wearing Teamster jackets that solicit us for money outside our hub once a year then. My mistake.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. UpstateNYUPSer

No, those idiots do wear the jackets, but they are not from your local.

Do you even know what DRIVE is? It's a PAC and all of the money raised is used to fund lobbyists who then try to further our interests in DC.

17. upsmaninmi

upsmaninmi Member

Funny. One of them looks identical to our local Teamster rep that I have seen a handful of times over the course of the twenty years I've been at UPS. He was also here in 1997 to let us know the Teamsters didn't have any money to pay for our second week of being on strike. Now I pay them almost $90 a month. Looks like I'm the idiot.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Well.... half of your DRIVE contribution goes to your Local, for local political issues.

The rest goes to the IBT. Not a lot of members know that.

My Local makes very judicious use, of the local funds by supporting candidates

that can help the membership. (i.e. judges) ;)

Most Local's don't send IBT reps in blind. They will have a BA go with them.

I don't know why he would tell you that.

Granted, the weekly benefit was only $50.00. But, if you did strike duty.... you were eligible.

-Bug-

19. UpstateNYUPSer

We got one check for $55 and then had to pay union dues two weeks in a row to get caught up.

20. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

The local kept our check to pay Union dues.