Today's new holiday (MLK), cost UPS an est. $100-125 million in just holiday pay.

JL 0513

For perspective on what kind of a win this was this contract, adding a paid holiday is no small thing. When you have 530,000+ employees, it tends to add up. Some quick basic math and I ballpark the amount in the title. Estimating a mix of full and part time and averaging pay scale. This doesn't even count associated benefits.

Makes things like A/C really insignificant to the bottom line.

Thebrownblob

True, but UPS considers that an investment and claims it saves them money.

Holiday pay is paying full wages to half a million people to stay home. The type of cost companies hate the most.
They will spend the next four days extracting that from everyone’s behind, by crushing five days of work into four.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1705359527968.png

Up In Smoke

We had 50 plus TDP and feeder drivers work today at double time. I'm guessing a few thousand nation wide.
For perspective on what kind of a win this was this contract, adding a paid holiday is no small thing. When you have 530,000+ employees, it tends to add up. Some quick basic math and I ballpark the amount in the title. Estimating a mix of full and part time and averaging pay scale. This doesn't even count associated benefits.

Makes things like A/C really insignificant to the bottom line.

JL 0513

We have likely only seen the tip of the iceberg as it what ORION was ultimately conceived for.

Lot's of future technology that I can see integrating with ORION going forward.

The future of Orion is full A.I. Right now, it's rudimentary AI where an algorithm can update solutions on the fly. In the future, it'll be designed to make the human decisions we argue to make today. That's why drivers hate Orion because in the real world we see nonsensical solutions. Real AI will hopefully know much of what drivers on the ground know.

Brown Down

The future of Orion is full A.I. Right now, it's rudimentary AI where an algorithm can update solutions on the fly. In the future, it'll be designed to make the human decisions we argue to make today. That's why drivers hate Orion because in the real world we see nonsensical solutions. Real AI will hopefully know much of what drivers on the ground know.
scary but probably true.

BrownSnowFlake

This is highly optimistic and if it happens in my lifetime I will be surprised.