Today's new holiday (MLK), cost UPS an est. $100-125 million in just holiday pay.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
For perspective on what kind of a win this was this contract, adding a paid holiday is no small thing. When you have 530,000+ employees, it tends to add up. Some quick basic math and I ballpark the amount in the title. Estimating a mix of full and part time and averaging pay scale. This doesn't even count associated benefits.

Makes things like A/C really insignificant to the bottom line.

All the packages that were picked up and committed for today were already paid for. They will all be delivered and caught up by Thursday or Friday (barring inclement weather). Holidays in theory make more profit for UPS as they cut out any OT for the day, but more employees get paid instead of sending home extras. Either way, I don’t think it’s as detrimental as you might think. There are still feeder drivers moving work and probably all kinds of night sorts running tonight to keep large pick up volume moving. We might’ve missed out on some NDA opportunities today but overall I don’t think this is as much a cost to UPS as it appears.

rickyb

For perspective on what kind of a win this was this contract, adding a paid holiday is no small thing. When you have 530,000+ employees, it tends to add up. Some quick basic math and I ballpark the amount in the title. Estimating a mix of full and part time and averaging pay scale. This doesn't even count associated benefits.

record profits?

PreTrippin’

Getting drunk and falling down

Ac was always insignificant.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog

Just curious where you got the 530k number, on the UPS website they claim 330k teamster represented jobs. So depending on who's numbers you use changes the dollar amount in your thread title and may make it less sensational. Just say'in. Use FACTS, then the story remains solid. P.S. Not accusing anyone of anything, the title caught my eye as something a little outlandish thus the research.

JL 0513

Just curious where you got the 530k number, on the UPS website they claim 330k teamster represented jobs. So depending on who's numbers you use changes the dollar amount in your thread title and may make it less sensational. Just say'in. Use FACTS, then the story remains solid. P.S. Not accusing anyone of anything, the title caught my eye as something a little outlandish thus the research.

Big difference between Teamster union employees and total employees. There are many sources that will give you the total employee number at about 530K. All the non-union employees get paid too.

All the packages that were picked up and committed for today were already paid for. They will all be delivered and caught up by Thursday or Friday (barring inclement weather). Holidays in theory make more profit for UPS as they cut out any OT for the day, but more employees get paid instead of sending home extras. Either way, I don’t think it’s as detrimental as you might think. There are still feeder drivers moving work and probably all kinds of night sorts running tonight to keep large pick up volume moving. We might’ve missed out on some NDA opportunities today but overall I don’t think this is as much a cost to UPS as it appears.
We will make it up on leap Day

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Perhaps seeing how the rest of this week goes will determine if it continues to be a holiday in the future. I've learned to be pessimistic and skeptical.
How much would it cost paying double time plus the holiday, running operations, vs, the day off, shut down? That is the bottom line.

Now, the tough guy team is already framing this as a gigantic battle they won for us Teamsters. (See post #19). Would they allow the day to be anything other than a day off?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
How much would it cost paying double time plus the holiday, running operations, vs, the day off, shut down? That the bottom line.

Now, the tough guy team is already framing this as a gigantic battle they won for us Teamsters. Would they allow the day to be anything other than a day off?
A pack of lucky strikes

Manifesto

How much would it cost paying double time plus the holiday, running operations, vs, the day off, shut down? That is the bottom line.

Now, the tough guy team is already framing this as a gigantic battle they won for us Teamsters. (See post #19). Would they allow the day to be anything other than a day off?
Yeah, but it would have been a typical Monday with maybe half the workforce working at double time. If they have to add more routes the rest of the week and pay out excessive overtime could easily end up costing more. Not to mention angering irrational pickup accounts. I certainly hope it remains a closed holiday but I wouldn't put it past them to change it in the future.

Thebrownblob

Contractually the company can “require” you to work on any holiday except Labor Day. The stipulation is paying the appropriate holiday pay.

we staff to holiday weeks so it absolutely costs us

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Yeah, but it would have been a typical Monday with maybe half the workforce working at double time. If they have to add more routes the rest of the week and pay out excessive overtime could easily end up costing more. Not to mention angering irrational pickup accounts. I certainly hope it remains a closed holiday but I wouldn't put it past them to change it in the future.
How withat play against the current narrative union leadership is putting out there, "A Dream Delivered"?