Today's new holiday (MLK), cost UPS an est. $100-125 million in just holiday pay.

JL 0513

This is highly optimistic and if it happens in my lifetime I will be surprised.

AI already does far more complicated things today. It's just a matter of compiling all the data in the real world and implementation. Talking everything from knowing every variable that drivers know that is hard data for computers to know. Some simpler things like when schools let out and to avoid that street. Humans know that but today's Orion doesn't.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
For perspective on what kind of a win this was this contract, adding a paid holiday is no small thing. When you have 530,000+ employees, it tends to add up. Some quick basic math and I ballpark the amount in the title. Estimating a mix of full and part time and averaging pay scale. This doesn't even count associated benefits.

Makes things like A/C really insignificant to the bottom line.
100-125 million, that's real money for a service company who's competition made service today. As long as we keep making profits we will be ok.

Brownwind

The future of Orion is full A.I. Right now, it's rudimentary AI where an algorithm can update solutions on the fly. In the future, it'll be designed to make the human decisions we argue to make today. That's why drivers hate Orion because in the real world we see nonsensical solutions. Real AI will hopefully know much of what drivers on the ground know.
Hopefully. I hope it helps the routes in town because it isn’t practical for a country route. No one in their right mind would drive miles away just to return to deliver stops you pass by on the way out of town.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
ezgif-2-d2429e87ba.png
11135419l2pFqIR.gif

For perspective on what kind of a win this was this contract, adding a paid holiday is no small thing. When you have 530,000+ employees, it tends to add up. Some quick basic math and I ballpark the amount in the title. Estimating a mix of full and part time and averaging pay scale. This doesn't even count associated benefits.

Makes things like A/C really insignificant to the bottom line.
We should have got an extra week off

JL 0513

Unfortunately we didn't get that.

Really? I thought it was a national thing. It's a 7th week over 30 years. Which means 8 weeks if you take the extra week option in place of sick/personal days. But of course this is mostly meaningless to all but a handful of people still plugging away after 30 years.

Manifesto

I'm glad it ended up being a closed Holiday. When they first announced we had won MLK as a Holiday I swore it would be a working Holiday.
Perhaps seeing how the rest of this week goes will determine if it continues to be a closed holiday in the future. I've learned to be pessimistic and skeptical.