Top Cover Driver question

UPSGUY72

I wish we could do that. Aren't your unassigned drivers only entitled to run routes in the center they currently work in? I don't see UPS or the union agreeing to allow them to bounce between multiple centers. That would be chaos.

We don't pick are routes so usually yes. But if a center is short drivers another center will send one. I know routes in all three buildings.

Overpaid Union Thug

We don't pick are routes so usually yes. But if a center is short drivers another center will send one. I know routes in all three buildings.

That is yet another benefit of pooling all of the building into one seniority list. We've been really short handed at times while another extended center or center in the hub is overstaffed. Most centers in our local are within commuting distance so this could easily be avoided. This would also help fill feeder openings. Right now the main hub in our local has so many openings they don't have enough full-time people that want to fill them. They are having to take part-timers instead of being able to take in people from outlying centers.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I wish we could do that. Aren't your unassigned drivers only entitled to run routes in the center they currently work in? I don't see UPS or the union agreeing to allow them to bounce between multiple centers. That would be chaos.
If the driver is unassigned or cover and management either doesn't have work in the home center or another center is really hard up for guys they can work the driver out of the other center if it's in the same bargaining unit. The driver has the right to report to their home center though at regular start time and drive a spare package car to the foreign center or get paid mileage.

I pulled routes in 3 centers while I was cover. The cool thing was a sup usually offered to drive as they know the area so you are essentially a driver helper for the day making driver pay. Nice easy relaxed day... Sups usually bought my lunch and the loads were always magically light so I got done in 8 hours or less then got paid to drive back to home center.

Overpaid Union Thug

If the driver is unassigned or cover and management either doesn't have work in the home center or another center is really hard up for guys they can work the driver out of the other center if it's in the same bargaining unit. The driver has the right to report to their home center though at regular start time and drive a spare package car to the foreign center or get paid mileage.

I pulled routes in 3 centers while I was cover. The cool thing was a sup usually offered to drive as they know the area so you are essentially a driver helper for the day making driver pay. Nice easy relaxed day... Sups usually bought my lunch and the loads were always magically light so I got done in 8 hours or less then got paid to drive back to home center.

I just don't see why we can't do that here. You can bid in and out of all of the buildings for package and feeders or just package?