Tornado in Tuscaloosa

bham brown

Yes that driver is fine. He managed to get out of the car before it was flipped. It's been a long day for us here. No idea if we will work tomorrow. It's really strange to see places that you delivered to and picked up from just minutes ago completely destroyed. I could never imagine Tuscaloosa being destroyed the way it was today.

Funny how I asked today at our building if the driver was ok and tthey denied anything like that happened in Tuscaloosa....Imagine that.

bham brown

Please also remember that there were also tornadoes in Concord(Hueytown), Pleasant Grove, Pratt City, Cordova, and Fultondale.. There were others, but these were the ones in the Birmingham metro area. We had some drivers and/or members of their family lose their homes but that kind of stuff can be replaced.. Many lives have been lost and the numbers continue to rise. Please keep those affected in your thoughts and prayers..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
See this is the reason right here it was avoidable. A good methods driver like Iowa boy wouldn't have made this avoidable mistake. I think this driver should have to recite the ten point commentary 71 times in the DMs office and get a three day safety ride followed by a three day production ride.

I figured he would probably be fired for wasting company time while he was talking to the reporter....especially since it's now on video!!!

Wife of driver in California. How about we all get something going here...
Every driver donate $5.00 or more to the UPS drivers in affected areas so they all have something as I am sure the centers were wiped out and the businesses and homes they deliver to. How can we do this? Let me know. Stay safe all.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
As you may be aware, significant parts of the U.S. have been ravaged lately by severe storms, tornadoes and flooding. Our thoughts go out to those affected by these natural disasters.

We hope that, if you or your loved ones are in one of these areas, especially those hardest hit, that you are safe and sound, and remain thus.

If you or your loved ones were impacted in some fashion, please know that you're on our minds and hope your lives return to some sense of normalcy soon!
I invite our members to post their own messages of support and/or status, as the case may be, onto this thread

Re-Raise

I figured he would probably be fired for wasting company time while he was talking to the reporter....especially since it's now on video!!!

I think he did a great job and represented the company well considering what he had just been through. Thank God he left the vehicle and is okay.

I have never really been very afraid of tornadoes, but I now have a whole new respect for the damage they can do.

See this is the reason right here it was avoidable. A good methods driver like Iowa boy wouldn't have made this avoidable mistake. I think this driver should have to recite the ten point commentary 71 times in the DMs office and get a three day safety ride followed by a three day production ride.
And turn in a sales lead.

UPSBluRdg03

Holy crap! I used to live where this footage was shot from. It's now the site of University Mall, but it was once an Army hospital and then married student housing. Northington Campus if memory serves me. They blew it all up at the end of the movie Hooper.

[video=youtube;5ohIVzIZLuQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohIVzIZLuQ"[/video]

Amazing! TFS. Thoughts and prayers with all those affected in the south by these storms. Godspeed

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Funny how I asked today at our building if the driver was ok and tthey denied anything like that happened in Tuscaloosa....Imagine that.
I sent the vid clip to my center manager, and no one says a word about it. I thought we were family. No one ever asks us, with guys laid off and stuff if anyone would like to go help. I would go, if I could help. No feedback from Alabama here in Ohio, Is what I heard, and not a mention of something that truly would help people expect the unexpected. Just know where to go if you are in the building and a tornado hits. How many of us are actually in the building at 3pm when this one hit. Glad that guy knew where to go! And I would bet he didnt hear it at any safety meeting!

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Anyone else notice him grab his roll of rainbags while sifting through the debris? They must be a hot item in his building too, lol. Seriously though, awfully glad he's ok. Great find!

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I sent the vid clip to my center manager, and no one says a word about it. I thought we were family. No one ever asks us, with guys laid off and stuff if anyone would like to go help. I would go, if I could help. No feedback from Alabama here in Ohio, Is what I heard, and not a mention of something that truly would help people expect the unexpected. Just know where to go if you are in the building and a tornado hits. How many of us are actually in the building at 3pm when this one hit. Glad that guy knew where to go! And I would bet he didnt hear it at any safety meeting!

I bet at least 99% chance he wouldn't have survived without that overpass. Great fortune and instincts on his part.

bigbrownhen

I have lived in a tornado prone area most of my life. I wouldn't say I am afraid of them, but I have a high respect for what they can do. My home was damaged by a small one in 08 and I have seen first hand the damage an F4 can do in 03. I pay attention to the severe weather warnings and have alerts texted to my cell from the local news station.

As safety is such a priority to this comany, how hard can it be to put a weather alert radio($30 to $50) in each center and train employees in the office what to do to keep co-workers as safe as possible. Today's technology gives a rather accurate report. Since this latest outbreak is close to Atlanta, perhaps the powers that be will now realize what a serious lapse in safety training there is for tornados and other natural disasters.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have lived in a tornado prone area most of my life. I wouldn't say I am afraid of them, but I have a high respect for what they can do. My home was damaged by a small one in 08 and I have seen first hand the damage an F4 can do in 03. I pay attention to the severe weather warnings and have alerts texted to my cell from the local news station.

As safety is such a priority to this comany, how hard can it be to put a weather alert radio($30 to $50) in each center and train employees in the office what to do to keep co-workers as safe as possible. Today's technology gives a rather accurate report. Since this latest outbreak is close to Atlanta, perhaps the powers that be will now realize what a serious lapse in safety training there is for tornados and other natural disasters.
Thats a nice thought but we are more concerned with piddly crap like flashers on a dock where no one can in 99% of probability get hit. Or using a handrail on each and every step down. Real world stuff, biblical storms, no we are not worried about that.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We got lucky where I live, the storms split and went South and North of us. One tornado hit a small community my Center delivers, they had two people killed and a few businesses destroyed just a little bit below the Atlanta Motor Speedway. There is some wind damage on my delivery area and several roads were blocked by some large trees that were blown down. I live right off I-20, we sometimes call it "Tornado Alley". I have had a couple of near misses at my house. About fifteen years ago one almost came down on my house, a lot of treetops were broke in my yard and I still have a couple of large pine trees that are bent over at about a thirty degree angle. We had to go to our basement in the middle of the night to seek shelter, I remember as the air pressure changed the windows in my house almost blew out. My house actually swayed a little bit, we thought it was going to disappear over our heads. I also had another near miss and our cars were damaged by the hail a couple of years ago.

But we had nothing as bad as what hit Alabama. This series of tornadoes killed over three hundred so far. I admire our driver in that video, it should be shown in every Center in our company. He did the right thing, he headed for the nearest strong shelter and got out of that Package Car. He would have probably been killed if he stayed in it. Another thing to do is to get low to the ground, like in a ditch so you lessen your chances of being hit by debris.

I wish the best for the folks in these hard hit areas, I hope they recover the best they can as soon as possible. I am always awed by the way people come together in adverse conditions like this to help each other out.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
tornadoes are scary,, they can pop up almost instantly ,,i would sleep in a storm cellar if i lived in a prone area,, good news tho,, hurricane season is here!!

Prickle

I heard mgt people were chewed out for telling the drivers to come in; on the video one of the first things he says is, "we were told to come in". Could you imagine if he had said we were told to stay out and deliver. Many drivers I have spoken with were told to stay out deliver.

bentover

The Tuscaloosa driver obviously didn't use his hand brake; obvious roll away. Hope he coded out the time talking to reporter as lunch.

yeaalabama1212

The driver was moving away from another tornado in another city that's across the river here. While he was driving this tornado was forming and touched down just off I 359. Everyone knew there was a tornado in Northport and knew that particular storm was not really a danger to Tuscaloosa. Even though the sirens were going most people were thinking Northport. When I stopped and took shelter, which was maybe 3/4 of a mile from Jimmy I saw the huge cloud in the distance. You couldn't tell it was a tornado until it actually got closer. Once we saw the dust and dirt being picked up, the store manager made everyone head to the back of the store.

iowa boy

The Tuscaloosa driver obviously didn't use his hand brake; obvious roll away. Hope he coded out the time talking to reporter as lunch.

They probably told him they would code 5 him for that day.:happy-very:

Gotta wonder though. if he found his diad, could he code this as a vehicle breakdown?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I think he did a great job and represented the company well considering what he had just been through. Thank God he left the vehicle and is okay.

I have never really been very afraid of tornadoes, but I now have a whole new respect for the damage they can do.
Agreed that he represented the company well considering what he just went through!
Personally, I would most likely have avoided the cameras since I would certainly have deuced my pants.