Traffic camera catches UPS truck hitting pedestrian

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I noticed in another thread your to-do list is short, but Saturday at work is crazy. You must really be board.

If I were "board" I would be waiting to be "nailed".

I don't normally go in on a Saturday morning but, as I said, we are expanding our recycling program, which I am basically in charge of, and I wanted to make sure everything was set for Monday.

I also shovel my drop boxes as needed.

oldngray

nowhere special
Car wash does the exterior several times a week? Here they were lucky to get washed a couple of times a month and the inside never gets cleaned. My building had a car wash driver drover through after fueling but that was eliminated to save money so that car wash was never used. And once a week the inside got hosed out but that also stopped. My center wouldn't authorize drivers to do that work themselves. If they did then people would grieve to create more 22.3 jobs.

rod

Retired 22 years
I went in for about an hour Saturday morning to make sure everything was set for the rollout of our expanded recycling program Monday morning. I went through the package cars and was blown away at how filthy some of them were. Yes, some of our drivers work in some dusty and dirty areas, but much of what I saw cannot be blamed solely on that. To put it bluntly, some of my co-workers are slobs who I wouldn't want to have come to my house. I hope my loader appreciates the fact that I am a neat freak. : )

you're going to make someone a good wife some day.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
He ran her over she went under the truck and was run over by the right rear wheels. Did anybody else not see this? Scam the company? You've got to be kidding me. There is no way she could have walked away from that. Appears to be a P1000 on it's way back to center maybe? Most likely loaded down and heavy.She's lucky it was only her legs that got crushed. That guy not only lost his job but I suspect will be in trouble with the law.
Actually that intersection IS just a block away from the center.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think its bad she got hit. I feel for both sides. But what I have noticed growing by the day, is the oblivion people walk/drive around in.

When walking I know, I have the right of way. I was taught defensive skills/and thinking. Just because I know I have the right of way, doesnt mean the intersection clears, or is safe just because I walk into it.

The end game is the driver is of course at fault. I can also see how easily it could happen to any one of us.

Like the drivers who do not know what merge means, and just because their turn signal is on, does not clear the lane they are moving in to.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our city had been adding crosswalk signals to several of our busier intersections. It amazes me how many people (mostly college students) who cross against the lights. The students are the worst---most are on their cellphones or have ear buds in and walk out right in front of oncoming traffic.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I think its bad she got hit. I feel for both sides. But what I have noticed growing by the day, is the oblivion people walk/drive around in.

When walking I know, I have the right of way. I was taught defensive skills/and thinking. Just because I know I have the right of way, doesnt mean the intersection clears, or is safe just because I walk into it.

The end game is the driver is of course at fault. I can also see how easily it could happen to any one of us.

Like the drivers who do not know what merge means, and just because their turn signal is on, does not clear the lane they are moving in to.
I actually watched part of the video twice to see if the driver had his turn signal on. That was one dark intersection...i'm guessing neither party saw the other one coming. A no turn on red sign would be helpful at that intersection.

rod

Retired 22 years

Its amazing how many people just step off the curb and keep walking just because they have a green light. Half of them are looking at their smart phones and the other half are just plain stupid. No one seems to watch for traffic now days.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Is there any signage advising motorists turning right to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Signage is irrelevant; I believe it is a Federal law that peds have the right of way in the US, something I disagree with. I believe people would be more vigilant and careful if they couldn't assume that any and all vehicles must stop for them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Signage is irrelevant; I believe it is a Federal law that peds have the right of way in the US, something I disagree with. I believe people would be more vigilant and careful if they couldn't assume that any and all vehicles must stop for them.

Pedestrians do not have the right of way if they cross against the light.

Sent using BrownCafe App

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Pedestrians do not have the right of way if they cross against the light.

Sent using BrownCafe App
You are correct, they do not always have the right away, But you are to stop for all pedestrians whenever they decide they want to cross the street, so you may as well just set it in your brain, that they always have the right away.

Such as in a shopping area, you know they are waiting to cross, we are not allowed to run them over so you stop. As a courtesy I always stop, especially if its raining or blizzarding. And to expect the unexpected you might as well stop.

Entrances to stores, you would expect they would wait for you to pull in, instead of making you have a chance of being rear ended, but they are so oblivious, I just stop and take a chance of being rear ended. I will survive that, the person I would run over may not. And with the oblivion of drivers on the road, you will get rear ended, so pick your poison, we are the only ones held accountable for our actions.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If I were "board" I would be waiting to be "nailed".

I don't normally go in on a Saturday morning but, as I said, we are expanding our recycling program, which I am basically in charge of, and I wanted to make sure everything was set for Monday.

I also shovel my drop boxes as needed.
I'm guessing you haven't nail anything in years that didn't require a hammer...lol.

L

Lizzzow

If I got hit by a UPS truck and I was out of work for months with pain and suffering, I would get a damn good lawyer and sue millions. UPS has deep pockets they can afford it.