Transfer To Another Country

sndgan

Hi, I've been working as a PT package handler for about 2 years now. I was wondering if this was possible. Does this happen? Thankyou!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Hi, I've been working as a PT package handler for about 2 years now. I was wondering if this was possible. Does this happen? Thankyou!

You will not retain the same wages, seniority, or benefits. The UPS/IBT National Contract only applies to Teamster-affiliated locals in the US. The decision to allow such a "transfer" is entirely the company's.

I personally witnessed a 17 year PT'er transfer to another country when his wife found a new job. He was never able to "transfer" and applied as a re-hire when she came back 2-3 years later. He retained his pension credit (vested) but lost his hourly rate, seniority, and vacations.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
It may be difficult. Yes we are one company, but the way they organize the company for tax purposes you are essentially transferring companies if you go over the border. You work for United Parcel Incorporated, but in Canada it is something along the lines of United Parcel LTD. Under the same umbrella, but different at the same time. Most likely they would only allow transfers for higher ups because of the logistics involved.

worldwide

You transferring to the Bronx?

Or NJ. David Abney seems to think NJ was an international assignment for him.

"He went on to driving a truck, and then went into management being transferred eight times. He jokingly said his first international assignment was when he and his wife were transferred to New Jersey. “We both cried,” he said."

I'm sure the UPS employees that live in NJ think that's special.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

"He went on to driving a truck, and then went into management being transferred eight times. He jokingly said his first international assignment was when he and his wife were transferred to New Jersey. “We both cried,” he said."

Get lost in Newark. You'll think you're in Mogadishu.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You ever been to Jersey?

worldwide

You ever been to Jersey?

I lived there for six years. The whole state is not the ugliness that is Camden, Trenton or Atlantic City. Head west from the turnpike and you'll see why its called the Garden State. It's certainly crowded in the Eastern half of the state and NJ is the most densely populated state. NJ is certainly one of the most ethnically and religiously diverse states in the country.

For all its problems, NJ had the second-largest number of millionaires per capita in the United States (ratio of 7.49%), according to a study by Phoenix Marketing International. It is ranked 2nd in the nation by the number of places with per capita incomes above national average with 76.4%. Nine of New Jersey's counties are in the wealthiest 100 of the country.

Some startling contrasts in NJ but I think it gets a poor reputation based on what people see from the Jersey Shore and Housewives TV series and the built up industry people see when passing through the state on the turnpike heading North or South. Most people never see the "garden" part of NJ.

The point of my original message was that even thought he apparently does not think too highly of NJ, thousands of UPS employees live and work there and call it home.

rickyb

where are u planning on moving to?

i would get the hell out of america. it has the most violent labor history, and few rights compared to other developed countries.

krugman said you are far better off being a poor frenchman, than a poor american

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I'm sure I speak for all New Jerseyans when I say that nobody cares what a four-eyed, road kill toupee wearing bean-counting shrew thinks of our state.

Only the strong survive here.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm sure I speak for all New Jerseyans when I say that nobody cares what a four-eyed, road kill toupee wearing bean-counting shrew thinks of our state.

Only the strong survive here.

Yo, fuhgeddaboudit. Jersey represent! Best tomatoes, best pizza, best pork roll. 177 brother!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Have you researched wages in the country you seek to move to? For example, in Mexico, the average truck driver earns less than $6,000/year (of course, the number is currently impacted by the strong dollar... in Mexico, you're paid in Pesos not Dollars so that will help). I don't know what a UPS driver in Mexico earns, but I guarantee you it ain't close to $80,000...

My point is... at UPS in another country, you'll earn market rate (unless you're a manager on assignment paid in USD). In some cases this will benefit you, but in most it won't.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
where are u planning on moving to?

i would get the hell out of america. it has the most violent labor history, and few rights compared to other developed countries.

krugman said you are far better off being a poor frenchman, than a poor american
Maybe if you took the time to structure you post in such a way you use basic sentence structure, capital letters, and punctuation you'd be taken seriously. You know what, never mind, just leave the country and bless a foreign one with your intelligence, you won't be missed.

Fewer rights indeed, pisses me off you don't realize you live in the best country God ever created.

oldngray

nowhere special
Maybe if you took the time to structure you post in such a way you use basic sentence structure, capital letters, and punctuation you'd be taken seriously. You know what, never mind, just leave the country and bless a foreign one with your intelligence, you won't be missed.

Fewer rights indeed, pisses me off you don't realize you live in the best country God ever created.

Nope. He is Canadian. He only wishes he lived in the US.