Trouble brewing in chicago!

tieguy

Banned
705 did address this during the talks, it was aked several times if there would be any changes to the spd.

That language also covers existing employees, is your language different?

looks to me like your local and the company are in a one upsmanship pissing contest. 705 retirees will pay the price for you radicals at 705 going out of your way to constantly annoy the company. You guys will threaten a strike and the company will eventually work out some kind of settlement. end result will still be that your retirees will pay more.

This thread begs to ask the question why does everything inhumane that UPS can do happens to only Local 705.

Hmmmmmm :devil3:
I don't think it does or I would ..hmmmmmmm in harmony with you. The new O/9.5 language that will be slapping us all in the face is nation wide.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I don't think it does or I would ..hmmmmmmm in harmony with you. The new O/9.5 language that will be slapping us all in the face is nation wide.

But Chicago has their own contract. They are not affected by the over/9.5 language that was reshaped.

705/710 prides that they have a separate contract from us and sometimes boast that what happens to us nationally doesn't happen in their neck of the woods. BUT GOD FORBID, an issue comes up, and they are talking strike votes and getting their charcoal grills cleaned up for the picket line.
Then we get screwed as a union because it ruins our reputation with customers.

BOTH SIDES NEED NEW MANAGEMENT TO MAKE THIS GO AWAY

Channahon

ClicK Here to see the letter sent out by the Local.
Does anyone have a copy of the letter sent by the Company?

That is the most unprofessional letter I have ever read by a Teamster local. And I've dealt with locals in many regions and districts. Is this typical of letters sent by 705?

Particularly the 5th paragrah, "But I don't have to elaborate on who we are dealing with over here. You have all had your own experiences dealing with these heartless bastards"

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
That is the most unprofessional letter I have ever read by a Teamster local. And I've dealt with locals in many regions and districts. Is this typical of letters sent by 705?

Particularly the 5th paragrah, "But I don't have to elaborate on who we are dealing with over here. You have all had your own experiences dealing with these heartless bastards"

Just read the letter !!!!

WOW !!!

Apparently "subtle" is not in Steve's vocabulary. I would be embarassed that this guy is running the show. All you in Chicago want to know why UPS and your locals don't get along. There it is.

I stand by my last sentence in post 125 of this thread !!!!!

UPSNewbie

That's what I was wondering. :knockedout:

atatbl

Its pretty obvious that you are newer to ups and have yet to be wronged. Wait my friend, ups it self chases members to want to be good teamsters. In a couple years i will even flip for the teamster horses that you will get a tatoo of on your chest!

Based on your responses I see that you do, in fact, have a more rational approach to this than I originally gauged from your previous posts. Let me know what you think about this. This is how I see it from hundreds of miles away, with limited communication to people actually inside your local.

Almost nothing is done amicably between your local and UPS. The first sign of a disagreement leads both parties to go straight for the jugular. You grieve everything to the letter, UPS stalls and deadlocks. UPS makes plays that are based on very loose interpretations of the contract, you entrench yourselves in an opposite stance.

When management and union workers step onto UPS property in the morning, everyone is thinking the same thing: "I feel the exact opposite of whatever the 'other side' says today." In all actuality, this feeling probably starts as soon as either party wakes up in the morning, without even realizing it. You have to get a little bit numb to it, it's how people survive a life of working in these specific environments. I am not implying that either side is wrong in feeling this way. I just think it would be impossible for most people to admit to themselves, let alone others.

This would naturally lead to a seemingly never-ending game of one-up-manship.

I would be interested to hear how much of this is correct from your viewpoint.

As for me, you are partially right. I would not say that I have ever been wronged in a manner as grave as the one your retirees face. However, I would imagine I would TRY to understand the situation for what it is. If what I have described is at all accurate I would try to be much less emotional than I see your members behaving on here. I personally believe that taking emotion out of this situation gives you a leg-up in the pissing match. Again, that is only my stance. The people that I see "win" these types of situations have a "wont-back-down" and "I don't give a $h1t" attitude..... Not the lazy, 'I don't care' type or the 'insane' type.... More the 'alpha male' and controlled type of attitude..... If that makes any sense. This is only my experience though.

I agree with the basics of the letter, but when I got to that heartless bastards partI ..... ...... couldn't believe what I had read. To use that kind of language in a casual conversation is one thing, but in a formal letter to a mass of people is a totally different thing.

DiadTribe

Is it too much to ask that someone, somewhere has a copy of the letter sent to the retirees from the Company? This entire thread is based on an unknown quantity.
Can you imagine if someone posted,
"I just read in the WSJ that UPS is liquidating all tangible assets and they are moving world headquarters to Dubai! They have decided to be the broker for any company that is involved in transport. No labor issues. Just data."

Before I hit the send button there will most likely be a new thread about this "breaking news!!"

atatbl

Is it too much to ask that someone, somewhere has a copy of the letter sent to the retirees from the Company? This entire thread is based on an unknown quantity.
"I just read in the WSJ that UPS is liquidating all tangible assets and they are moving world headquarters to Dubai! They have decided to be the broker for any company that is involved in transport. No labor issues. Just data."

Before I hit the send button there will most likely be a new thread about this "breaking news!!"

LMAO! Hilarious scenario. I see your point. However, you learn to trust that when some BC members start a thread there is definitely a legitimate truth behind it. Obviously, opinions on the subject are bias, but I do not think the changes are being exaggerated. The numbers speak for themselves.

local804

http://www.teamsterslocal705.org/UPS retiree letter.pdf
This has been in the thread for a while

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Much like many of the Union leaders, they get confused on which one of them is the company !!!

sano

That is embarrassing.
I wonder why the company doesn't treat us better. I wonder why the public has a negative opinion of Teamsters.

Why cant unions be run by professional business people?

DiadTribe

HELLO!!!? CHICAGO!!!!?

The rest of the country would appreciate a copy of the letter that your retirees received from UPS concerning insurance payment changes.
Because there is every reason to believe that one day we will all get that "letter" in the mail. It may not read just like the one you received. And the terms may be different. A it may be about our pension instead of our health plan.
But I have a feeling we may all get that "letter" at some point in our retirement. It would be really nice if you gave us a glimpse at what it might look like. I am sure you wish someone had told you what to expect while you were on the other side of the line.
And don't forget. There is always the chance that some active members might stand up to protect your benefits even though the union considers you "INACTIVE".
Because all Teamsters have something to look forward to? If we survive the working years we get to survive the "INACTIVE" years!

Respectfully,
Your Fellow Teamsters

Last edited: