trump 2016

bbsam

Staff member
I don't know considering were negative 100 billion to mexico now and 600 billion to china now. So more of the same is my guess.
Quite a bit more.

What Trump’s supporters don’t seem to get is that the tariffs he proposes—35% to 45%—could cost the average American household $11,000 over five years, according to a recent study.

“Who the hell cares if there’s a trade war?” Trump scoffed at a New Jersey event this month. I suppose when you’re super wealthy like he is, it doesn’t matter if the price of a TV or pair of sneakers or even a car goes up 35% to 45%. But when you’re just about anyone else, it matters. A lot.

On top of that, the report by the nonpartisan National Foundation for American Policy adds that if those countries retaliated against us (we export stuff to them too, you know) it would destroy lots of American jobs. “Who the hell cares if there’s a trade war?” I’ll bet the one in six American workers whose jobs are linked to trade do. Even American companies that don’t export would be hurt by Trump’s tariffs: their reliance on cheap, imported raw materials would drive up costs—which would just be passed on to us. Importers, exporters, manufacturers and consumers, Trump’s trade agenda could hurt everyone.

newfie

Quite a bit more.

What Trump’s supporters don’t seem to get is that the tariffs he proposes—35% to 45%—could cost the average American household $11,000 over five years, according to a recent study.

so in the example of Carrier air conditioning you think its ok to move those 1400 jobs across the border and then let carrier sell their units back to the united states?

he's never said a 35 percent tariff on everything he has said for those companies that move their jobs and factories across the border and then try to sell their products here.

to me that's a clear disinsentive to move those manufacturing jobs south unless that company plans to sell their products in that country.

rickyb

AMY GOODMAN: Why do you say he’s a neofascist, Donald Trump, the—

CORNEL WEST: Because neofascism in the United States takes the form of big money, big banks, big corporations, tied to xenophobic scapegoating of the vulnerable, like Mexicans and Muslims and women and black folk, and militaristic policies abroad, with strongman, charismatic, autocratic personality, and that’s what Donald Trump is.

And we should know. This is why I salute you, my dear sister. Corporate media has played a fundamental role in the making of Donald Trump—$2 billion free time. They made big profits. They put their profits ahead of the public interest. They covered every speech, every word in Twitter for the last 14 months, just to make big money. Even this convention, even this—they can’t wait. They’re salivating for the profits. And what do they do? They throw out this mediocre, dumbed-down xenophobic-speaking brother, who—I mean, he’s a human being like anybody else, so, I mean, you know, he’s made in the image of God, in terms of my own Christian faith and so forth, but he’s a neofascist in the making. And corporate media is going to have to acknowledge the tremendous responsibility they have of making sure Donald Trump was center stage. If Bernie Sanders had received one-half of that kind of attention, we’d be in a very different place. If they would put more stress on what Jill Stein is saying, the unbelievable fairness, subtlety of analysis, moral passion of Sister Jill—corporate media won’t touch her with a 10-foot pole, for the most part. But it’s changing. It’s going to change.

so in the example of Carrier air conditioning you think its ok to move those 1400 jobs across the border and then let carrier sell their units back to the united states?

he's never said a 35 percent tariff on everything he has said for those companies that move their jobs and factories across the border and then try to sell their products here.

to me that's a clear disinsentive to move those manufacturing jobs south unless that company plans to sell their products in that country.
Unfortunately tariffs dont work. That was a big reason we suffered the great depression. I'm really not sure how you fix the unfair competition.

newfie

Unfortunately tariffs dont work. That was a big reason we suffered the great depression. I'm really not sure how you fix the unfair competition.

my point is its not a blanket tariff but a targeted one for those companies that move the company and jobs across the border then try to sell the product here.

The other point Donald makes is china's currency manipulation which keeps their products priced much cheaper and inflates the prices on ours.

There is nothing wrong with a fresh candidate with a fresh perspective looking at those issues. i'm not too worried about a trade war , congress will still stifle anything too outrageous.

my point is its not a blanket tariff but a targeted one for those companies that move the company and jobs across the border then try to sell the product here.

The other point Donald makes is china's currency manipulation which keeps their products priced much cheaper and inflates the prices on ours.

There is nothing wrong with a fresh candidate with a fresh perspective looking at those issues. i'm not too worried about a trade war , congress will still stifle anything too outrageous.
At least he is willing to try something besides bending over and taking it up the rear.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So you want to level the playing field with a specific tariff?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

It would not be legal to just put a tariff only on Carrier products to target just one company. All similar products imported from any manufacturer would also be hit.

newfie

So you want to level the playing field with a specific tariff?

I think a company that moves jobs south and tries to sell their product north should have a disincentive to do so.

we have to recognize that open trade borders also tend to penalize those countries with higher wage rates. there has to be a balance between protecting our jobs and the affordability of goods that is currently out of balance.

I think a company that moves jobs south and tries to sell their product north should have a disincentive to do so.

we have to recognize that open trade borders also tend to penalize those countries with higher wage rates. there has to be a balance between protecting our jobs and the affordability of goods that is currently out of balance.
Especially when the people here can't afford to buy them anymore. Why? Because the good paying jobs are going away.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

You realize you're not a conservative right?