TV's/Monitors on Shelves

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I looked at my board one morning to see someone PAL'ed 120 pcs to the 1000 section. A couple buddies hanging around laughed at it which was followed by " I am sure once he sees all the pcs he will drop to flr or RDR/RDL. When i got in my truck i had discovered the pcs filled the entire 1000/5000 and the FLR2. Now the business that are suppose to fill 2500-5000 were all over the floor.

This is why preloaders should still know addresses. They wanna rain down on bull well they should expect PASS preloaders to fail at it. I know my cars by address, so all it takes is a quick look at the slap then address to know how the car should look. A stop that got 4 packages one day, the next will get ( sometimes ) 100+. Addresses preloaders, you work for a delivery company and you should know them regardless of PASS!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Our preloaders are given bulk stop forecasts--I have seen them and they are fairly accurate.

Trust me, most never look at them, unless they are told of a single stop that has so many. Some stops are docks, some are not. That makes a huge difference. Some go along with air stops. Trust me, preload is a science which many wish to wing or deny and often those are the ones who cause the most problems.

curiousbrain

To whom it may concern,

Bulk stop for the current day or or future dates (based upon shipper data that has been received and propagated by UPS), may be found in the "data tool" (available via SharePoint) or through PFT (available with most PDS/Preload manager credentials).

Data tool: Link the tool to your site (it recognizes most North American sites); then, in the second column, in red letters, it will say "Bulk Stop w/ Today's HIN"; click that. Then, print it. Be aware that really large bulk stops come in multiple shipments; so, some basic addition is in order (e.g. 100 Banker Street may appear multiple times, add each shipment together for the general DMS UOW count). Depending on how big your belts are, at the very least you can scan it for insane stops.

PFT: Enter credentials; select the correct sort date. The top drop-down is alphabetical, so scroll down to "friend" for "Forecasted bulk stops" (I am doing this by memory, so I might be wrong .. but it's there somewhere). It will produce a quasi-identical report to the data tool.

If all else fails, check DMS ... goto Reports->Dispatch Summary, and if you know your belt/routes well enough, you will know when a usual 400+ route suddenly has 560 or whatever; now, you can drill down a little bit in DMS by looking at the route manifest, and sorting by UOW.

Some basic advice; no supervisor has any excuse as to why they can't take ten minutes and do this basic research. IMHO, anyway.

jcohen

Ottawa Preloader
Well I might bring this up with my supervisor tomorrow as it'll help me to plan my TP-60 load better if I know what to expect.

Out of curiosity, since a lot companies will ship a bulk of 1 of 1 and their ends up being 20+ packages, would it show up in the forecast?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well I might bring this up with my supervisor tomorrow as it'll help me to plan my TP-60 load better if I know what to expect.

Out of curiosity, since a lot companies will ship a bulk of 1 of 1 and their ends up being 20+ packages, would it show up in the forecast?

I just noticed that you are from Canada--are you on PAS/EDD? If so, then the answer is yes--if not, I am afraid the answer is no.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not sure what PAS/EDD is so I'll have to speak to my supervisor on Monday about it.

If you don't know what it is it means you don't have it.

PAS/EDD is where every package is scanned and a PAL (Preload Assist Label) is applied (SPA--Scan/Print/Apply) which tells the loader where he/she is supposed to load it. The EDD data is uploaded in to our DIADs so that we know not only where we are going but also how many pkgs per stop. The data from EDD is used to produce the bulk stop report.

jcohen

Ottawa Preloader
If you don't know what it is it means you don't have it.

PAS/EDD is where every package is scanned and a PAL (Preload Assist Label) is applied (SPA--Scan/Print/Apply) which tells the loader where he/she is supposed to load it. The EDD data is uploaded in to our DIADs so that we know not only where we are going but also how many pkgs per stop. The data from EDD is used to produce the bulk stop report.

Yea, we're not that lucky up here to have that up here; we have to do it that old fashioned way, read a chart and a load chart.

curiousbrain

I don't know if the data tool/PFT work off PAS/EDD or not; they may work off EPD - which you most certainly have; as far as I know, it's basically electronic shipping data from shippers (e.g. Amazon, blah blah), and it is what they use to plan the dispatch. Someone else who knows may be able to speak to the issue, but it may still bear fruit to at least raise the issue. Not to an incompetent supervisor, but to someone who actually gives a crap and will take the time to try it a couple times to get the hang of it; they are few and far between, but do exist.

Never been to a Canadian UPS site obviously, but I'm pretty sure you have DMS; how many routes are on each belt/boxline? It almost doesn't matter, because the dispatch summary via DMS will list the routes and their UOW in a concise fashion. Now, there is something to be said that bulk stops will disguise themselves when you are only looking at UOW counts - that is to say, maybe volume is low, but the unusual bulk stop will make up for it, so the supervisor who is glancing at the piece count for their routes may see 380 or whatever and think "Ok, that is normal"; when, in reality, 15% of the normal stops are missing, but the bulk stop inflates UOW to make up for that missing percentage. That is what I call "phantom bulk."

PFT is probably the most reliable bet; it's available under SharePoint, which is an insider UPS website devoted to various functional tools/reports designed to, theoretically, make life easier.

rod

Retired 22 years
Who cares we don't do fragile at ups anyway. If you want one that hasent been dropped go too best buy.

I would imagine the guys in the BB warehouse on a boring day have their fun beating up pallets of TVs and monitors. One of my favorite web sites years ago used to be walmartsucks.com. People would actually post about having contests in the warehouse to see how many pallets of TVs they could drop off a forklift before they got in trouble. The thousands of dollars in damages that they laughed about was crazy.

As far as I know major UPS shippers have to sign an agreement certifing that their merchandise will be able to withstand a hundred foot drop (on all corners) and be able be driven over by a set of triples without showing any signs of damage. If thats not the case then it should be because the days of "hand to surface" are long gone.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
This is why preloaders should still know addresses. They wanna rain down on bull well they should expect PASS preloaders to fail at it. I know my cars by address, so all it takes is a quick look at the slap then address to know how the car should look. A stop that got 4 packages one day, the next will get ( sometimes ) 100+. Addresses preloaders, you work for a delivery company and you should know them regardless of PASS!
That's a laugh. Only 1 of our preloaders is still there when we were using alpha charts. The rest of them don't have a clue what addresses they are loading. Hell, they don't have a clue how to get sequence numbers in the right order or even on the right shelf.