UAW

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
"FYI...Toyota workers are compensated and have as good a pay package, if not more, than UAW workers. "

Yeah, but if you look at total compensation packages, Toyota is somewhere around $48-$50 an hour and the big 3 are around $78 an hour. Big difference !!

I think the union pres. will be out of a job shortly unless the "W" rides in to save the day with an emer. rescue.

Unions were once needed.....no longer the case.

MORELUCK,

the rate of pay for a toyota worker in Tennessee is not a "living wage" in other states.

The rate of pay for typical "trailer park" assembly workers in Tenn cannot be compared to "track home" living in california for example.

Why do you think they built there assembly plants in right to work, outback rural states like Tennesse?

Its amazing how dumb people can be when trying to compare apples to oranges.

The UAW has already made tremendous concessions towards the viability of the big three, however, this is not the issue any longer.

The republicans want to try and tackle the unions before they get kicked to the curb in one last final attack on the nations economy.

The reality today for republicans is this, in 2010, all those workers who lose jobs will finally be the straw that breaks the republicans backs in the congress and senate and they will NEVER regain power in the near future.

Any attack on organized labor in this country is an attack on all of us union workers at UPS.

We are just further down the list.

Better wakeup and the see the train coming.:dead:

Last edited:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Maybe the UAW could give back a few Paid Holidays.

Here are the negoitiated Paid holidays that the UAW recieves under the current contract with Chrysler LLC. This contract extends from 2007 to 2011. According to the US bureau of statistics the 1997 national average for workers paid holidays was 9.3 days while the UAW recieves 17.
This does not include paid vacation time or Paid allowable abscenses.
2007 - 2008

Nov. 16, 2007 Veterans Day
Nov. 22, 2007 Thanksgiving
Nov. 23, 2007 Day after Thanksgiving
Dec. 24, 2007 Christmas
Dec. 25, 2007 Holiday period
Dec. 26, 2007
Dec. 27, 2007
Dec. 28, 2007
Dec. 31, 2007
Jan. 1, 2008
Jan. 21, 2008 Martin Luther King day
Mar. 21, 2008 Good Friday
Mar. 24, 2008 Day after Easter
May 26, 2008 memorial day
July 4, 2008 Independance day
Aug. 29, 2008 Friday before labor day
Sept. 1, 2008 Labor day
2008 to 2011. The number of paid days stays the same for each year ( the actual dates may change)

SO?

We have more days off than the UAW, does that make us worst?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Yeah, it has to be an attempt at union busting and not an attempt to get EVERYONE at these companies to make sacrifices in order to save their careers. Good one. Sarcasm intended.

How about the big three make the biggest sacrifice?

How about them eliminating ALL particpation in organized racing: NASCAR, TRUCKS, OPEN WHEEL, RALLY and any other competitive sport they spend billions of dollars on?

What about the savings just from this??

Just getting rid of NASCAR sponsorship, parts, development and R&D would save 5 billion dollars all by itself.

How many jobs can be saved, how many pensions can be paid, how many new people can be hired with 5 billion?

You talk sacrifices, but limit yourself to party line rhetoric.

Give us a break, support the end of domestic car participation of NASCAR and I will support larger employee sacrifices.

You dont have the cajones for that, I know.:dead:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
What company do you work for, these are PAID holidays, does not include vacations and paid day off allowances.
I agree, I dont get those holidays and I work for UPS, and I dont get election day or my birthday off either.
there are definitely cuts which could be made to bring them in line. But lets not vote for making them poverty level.
They have already taken in many parts of GM buyouts and 50% wage cuts here.
My brain begins to hurt when I hear the rhetoric. They bargained, and GM and I guess others made promises they couldnt support. Yes the union could have been part of the problem, but so is the government forcing standards on them that are not necesary. No one had a problem with the suvs or the pickups til the gas went 4.00 a gallon. I dont want an electric car, I dont want to move closer to work. I want to drive my 8 cylinder gas guzzling v8, that is safer in a crash. I dont want a smart car. I get sick of Congress saying they built cars no one wanted. That is bull crap. I wanted and drive the beasts every day. And if there is fault to go around, they are built so well we dont need to buy a new one every three years, I drive mine into the ground. 250k and going strong.

sano

How about them eliminating ALL particpation in organized racing: NASCAR, TRUCKS, OPEN WHEEL, RALLY and any other competitive sport they spend billions of dollars on?

What about the savings just from this??

Just getting rid of NASCAR sponsorship, parts, development and R&D would save 5 billion dollars all by itself.

Really? Billions?
Care to post a link to your source?

av8torntn

Let me get this straight. The Federal Government is the most horribly run business in America and you people want them to give a loan to a failing business model (something they should not even be allowed to do) in exchange for promises to run the business more in line with how the Government wants. This really is insanity. I have a hard time understanding how this is even an option. Would someone please explain how the Federal Government should have the authority to take a stake in the ownership of private companies as is now being proposed much less act as a bank and make a loan to whom they choose should survive during an economic downturn?

av8torntn

BTW this was also a part of the auto bailout loan.

By ANDREW TAYLOR, Associated Press Writer Andrew Taylor, Associated Press Writer Wed Dec 10, 5:13 pm ET

WASHINGTON – If the $14 billion bailout plan for U.S. automakers passes, it will help more than just Ford, Chrysler and General Motors. Federal judges would get a pay raise, as well.
The raise — an annual cost of living adjustment, or COLA — would bring U.S. District court judges up to par with members of Congress, who will receive an almost $5,000 boost on Jan. 1. District judges and lawmakers now earn $169,300 a year but are expected to be awarded a 2.8 percent raise next year, said Dick Carelli, a spokesman for the Administrative Office of the United States Courts.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., insisted that the judicial pay raise go into the automaker loan measure, which is the only item of business on Congress' lame-duck agenda.
Under ethics legislation enacted almost two decades ago, members of Congress get a cost of living raise automatically, but they have to vote to give judges an identical raise. Because the spending bill covering U.S. courts has not passed, the step is necessary if judges are going to get their COLA.
The Senate passed the judicial pay measure as a separate bill in November, but the House never acted. A House Democratic leadership aide said that while House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., supports the pay raise, it was difficult for the House to hold a stand-alone vote in the midst of a recession to increase the pay for people making far more than most workers.
As a result, Reid has taken the unusual step of linking the obscure but important judicial pay issue to the unpopular auto bailout.
There is concern among many policymakers that judges are not paid enough relative to the importance of their offices, and in six of the past 13 years, judges have been denied their pay raise as lawmakers opted not to take their own COLA.
Even with the raise, judges earn far less than lawyers at big firms, just as members of Congress make less than many lobbyists. If the pay measure fails to go through this year, judges are likely to get the increase as one of the first pieces of business next year

diesel96

Lets clear up misconceptions, shall we;

http://mediamatters.org/columns/200811250012

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=1026e955-541c-4aa6-bcf2-56dfc3323682

Let me get this straight. The Federal Government is the most horribly run business in America and you people want them to give a loan to a failing business model (something they should not even be allowed to do) in exchange for promises to run the business more in line with how the Government wants. This really is insanity. I have a hard time understanding how this is even an option. Would someone please explain how the Federal Government should have the authority to take a stake in the ownership of private companies as is now being proposed much less act as a bank and make a loan to whom they choose should survive during an economic downturn?
The Federal Gov't isn't twisting the arm of the big three or any other failing businesses to rely on MaMa for failed enterprises. So if any failed enterprises what so ever comes calling, remember who's roof their living under whenever they can fall back on as their security blanket. Oh yeah, and tell that to Wall Street as well.

S

speeddemon

let me get this straight. The federal government is the most horribly run business in america and you people want them to give a loan to a failing business model (something they should not even be allowed to do) in exchange for promises to run the business more in line with how the government wants. This really is insanity. I have a hard time understanding how this is even an option. Would someone please explain how the federal government should have the authority to take a stake in the ownership of private companies as is now being proposed much less act as a bank and make a loan to whom they choose should survive during an economic downturn?

a-friggin-men!!!!!!

upsdude

Wow! Two sources known for their hard right leanings! Both writers are sleeping with the AFL-CIO.

I’m in the market for a new car, when GM does the right thing and files for bankruptcy protection I’ll buy a new Chevrolet.

You and I both know that Bush is going to hand them a check. Kind of ironic considering how much bashing he took from the UAW and most every other union last election cycle.

upsdude

MORELUCK,

the rate of pay for a toyota worker in Tennessee is not a "living wage" in other states.

The rate of pay for typical "trailer park" assembly workers in Tenn cannot be compared to "track home" living in california for example.

Why do you think they built there assembly plants in right to work, outback rural states like Tennesse?

Its amazing how dumb people can be when trying to compare apples to oranges.

The UAW has already made tremendous concessions towards the viability of the big three, however, this is not the issue any longer.

The republicans want to try and tackle the unions before they get kicked to the curb in one last final attack on the nations economy.

The reality today for republicans is this, in 2010, all those workers who lose jobs will finally be the straw that breaks the republicans backs in the congress and senate and they will NEVER regain power in the near future.

Any attack on organized labor in this country is an attack on all of us union workers at UPS.

We are just further down the list.

Better wakeup and the see the train coming.:dead:

Hoss, I’d suggest you take a deep sniff of the coffee aroma. The hard line northern union mindset is dying a slow painful death. Members of congress (both houses) are hearing a loud and clear message from their constituents, “No more handouts, for ANYONE!”

The attitude of many Americans paints union members as fat lazy dumb overpaid employees that couldn’t get fired for, well, anything. Think about it, how many folks think all we do is drive around all day. Unions have a serious PR problem. Don’t believe me? Spend some time outside the hard line union states.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"The UAW has already made tremendous concessions towards the viability of the big three, however, this is not the issue any longer."

TOS..on Thursday, the UAW said there's no 'money' concessions in 2009 whatsoever. They said maybe when the contract expires in 2011.

There'll be no contract to negotiate in 2011 if there's no longer a company.

That's what the union doesn't 'get'. Companies are not forever. They do fold. They do go away.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The Union Meeting
A union shop steward was addressing the workers at a union meeting ...
"I am pleased to advise all of you that we have agreed on a new deal with the management. We will no longer work four days a week."
"Hooray!" the crowd yelled.
"We will finish work at 4 PM, not 5 PM."
"Hooray!" the crowd yelled again.
We will start work at 10 AM, not 9 AM."
"Hooray!"
"We have a 110% pay increase."
"Hooray!"
"We will only work on Tuesdays." Suddenly, the crowd fell silent, until a voice from the back asked, "Every Tuesday?"

Quagmire

feeder
$60 an hour. to do a relativly easy, skilless job.

yeah, that is a problem.
Hmmm you would have thought that all them bright college educated fellas that negotiated those contracts would of figured that out, but amazingly they agreed to it. Why would they do that, sounds to me like they are the ones that need a pay cut, or better yet a pink slip. Simply put its union busting pure and simple. By the way wonder if those 2 teir employees at Delphi would have gotten a raise....they only make around 14.50 an hour.
The republican party had blown it big time with yet another section of the country, I honestly doubt there will ever be a red state in the great lakes region again, It's gonna be all blue all across most of the country.

Quagmire

feeder
The Union Meeting
A union shop steward was addressing the workers at a union meeting ...
"I am pleased to advise all of you that we have agreed on a new deal with the management. We will no longer work four days a week."
"Hooray!" the crowd yelled.
"We will finish work at 4 PM, not 5 PM."
"Hooray!" the crowd yelled again.
We will start work at 10 AM, not 9 AM."
"Hooray!"
"We have a 110% pay increase."
"Hooray!"
"We will only work on Tuesdays." Suddenly, the crowd fell silent, until a voice from the back asked, "Every Tuesday?"
Funny joke, amazingly the best part of the joke is someone in management was stupid enough to agree to it!