Union Dues?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Just curious what you tell a new employee, one or two paychecks in, when the union goes on strike and this person has no reserves (say 18 year old or fresh out of college/divorce)? Does he get any help?

If he has seniority, he'll receive strike pay.

That's about all I can tell you.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I pay 92 a month. I think it's chump change compared to what I get. Free legal, gym reimbursement, job security, a slew of discounts, etc, all for less than my cell phone bill? Guys, I'd pay a lot more for what we got. It takes a lot to run this union both economically and politically. Just my opinion.

Gym reimbursement? How does that work? Is that a local or national thing?

stink219

I pay 92 a month. I think it's chump change compared to what I get. Free legal, gym reimbursement, job security, a slew of discounts, etc, all for less than my cell phone bill? Guys, I'd pay a lot more for what we got. It takes a lot to run this union both economically and politically. Just my opinion.

Gym reimbursement? How does that work? Is that a local or national thing?
I'm not sure if its national or not. But if you join a gym for a year, we receive $150 reimbursement. They reward us for being healthy.

PT Car Washer

So if he was hired 3 weeks ago, then I assume he has no seniority and he is **** out of luck.

We had pre-seniority PTers in 1997 that never crossed the picket line. Unlike some package car drivers. They would be at the strike meetings and show their support. If I remember right our strike check went to pay union dues that month.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
We had pre-seniority PTers in 1997 that never crossed the picket line. Unlike some package car drivers. They would be at the strike meetings and show their support. If I remember right our strike check went to pay union dues that month.

It just goes to show you there are actually some decent human beings out there.. two people I work with got hired right before the '97 strike and honored the picket line.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I started in February of 97. Night sort in Portland,Or. The picket line sucked a little...but we BBQ'd and played touch football in the street till Freightliner got off at midnight. We'd wave our signs at them as they left...some of them shouting to get a real job (which is odd since I'm reasonably sure a lot of Freightliner was union back then...) and when they left, we went back to football. Kinda fun actually. Glad I didn't have near the responsibilities then as I do now. Here's to hoping for no strike but sticking up for what we deserve...without the entitlement attitude of the day.

jbird669

Well, I imagine a # of PTers have other jobs, so if they were just hired and then the union struck they'd work their other job and be fine. Not like a gov't employee who has the one job. I ask because a friend of mine was in AFSCME Local 33 and they struck two weeks after she was hired. It was her first job, two weeks out of school. She had one paycheck and no savings. She got zero help. Granted, public and private unions are different but still.

Notcool

I am pt willing to strike in order to not take a $30 paycut a week. Thats a lot of money to me! I work hard
loading trucks hardly ever go to the doc.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
555134_10151342463261674_1351300483_n (1)scab.jpg

funny picture off IBT Facebook page.
555134_10151342463261674_1351300483_n (1)scab.jpg

twoweeled

We use to have somewhat free legal, which was worth just about that - free. Gym reimbursement? good for you, I've heard nothing about that here. I'm glad your willing to pay more, because odds are fair - you will be paying more. But I'm sincerely curious, do you really feel secure at work?? I know I don't!

stink219

We use to have somewhat free legal, which was worth just about that - free. Gym reimbursement? good for you, I've heard nothing about that here. I'm glad your willing to pay more, because odds are fair - you will be paying more. But I'm sincerely curious, do you really feel secure at work?? I know I don't!
Secure? Of course. We have guys get in trouble for stupid stuff but nobody ever gets fired. Or should I say, permanently. We have had all kinds of things happen. Drunk, public indecency, fights. Never terminated. A couple of guys stole years ago. They resigned. I feel very secure at work. Why are you not secure? Examples please.

UPSGUY72

How come we never discuss the price of our union dues? How much does the union spend, and where does the money go?

If you got a problem with paying union dues maybe you need to go find another job where you work at will meaning they can fire you for any reason they see fit and there is nothing you can do....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you got a problem with paying union dues maybe you need to go find another job where you work at will meaning they can fire you for any reason they see fit and there is nothing you can do....

...he never said he had a problem paying dues...he was simply asking why we don't discuss how much we pay in dues....I paid just shy of $1,100 in 2012...I would love to see an accounting of how the union spent my $1,100...

Inthegame

...he never said he had a problem paying dues...he was simply asking why we don't discuss how much we pay in dues....I paid just shy of $1,100 in 2012...I would love to see an accounting of how the union spent my $1,100...
Airfare to Florida to keep UPS from taking $1100 out of your 2014 pocket exceeds $1100.