Past dues

UnderPaidSucka

One of the kids who works preload with me has been there for 3 years. Filled out 3 sets of union papers and every time nothing happens. No dues or fees taken out.
All of a sudden now after filling out the forms for the fourth time. It goes through and they want to hit him with 3 years of past dues which need to be paid by July 31st. Nearly 1500.00 otherwise he will loose his benefits, can't vote or protest during the strike.
Also happening to 30 other part timers in my building. They however never filled out paperwork several times.

What should I tell this kid?

worldwide

One of the kids who works preload with me has been there for 3 years. Filled out 3 sets of union papers and every time nothing happens. No dues or fees taken out.
All of a sudden now after filling out the forms for the fourth time. It goes through and they want to hit him with 3 years of past dues which need to be paid by July 31st. Nearly 1500.00 otherwise he will loose his benefits, can't vote or protest during the strike.
Also happening to 30 other part timers in my building. They however never filled out paperwork several times.

So, for 3 years he wasn't paying dues and thought that was OK or normal and never brought it up to his steward? The free ride is over and it's time to pay what is owed.

worldwide

owed for what? he wasn't in the union and was't getting benefits. He owes nothing!
Was he getting paid the rate the union negotiated for him? Is he in a location that requires union membership? I just don't understand how for 3 years, he thought it was OK not to be paying dues. What was the steward telling him at each pay period when he brought up that no dues were taken out of his pay?

All that being said, if there are 30 other people in the same situation and they can all show they applied to be in the union multiple times but got no response from the union, they may have a case to make for not paying past dues but I think it will be a challenge for them to persevere over the union.

542thruNthru

Have you friend contact the local and ask to speak with the principal officer of the local. It'll be either the president or secretary treasure. Have your friend explain the issue and the hardship that it will put on him. He can discuss with the principal officer a way to rectify the situation. It could be a payment plan, a reduction in the amount or the principal officer could wave all the back dues.

542thruNthru

Some locals are like this... PTers begging to sign up, but their forms aren't even acknowledged. No joke.
I don't know about your area but where I am the cards are given to the company to give to new hires. If the company loses them or forgets to give them to the Local, it takes a while for the local to find out who these people are. Then they start sending letters.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I don't know about your area but where I am the cards are given to the company to give to new hires. If the company loses them or forgets to give them to the Local, it takes a while for the local to find out who these people are. Then they start sending letters.
Why not have the BA drag his lazy ass down and pass them out. Be a good opportunity to shake hands and answer questions maybe build a little solidarity
Mgmt shouldn’t have anything to do with this

oldngray

nowhere special
Don't make us call Moose and Rocco. Just send all the dues money he's been putting aside each month.
mooserocco.jpg

542thruNthru

Why not have the BA drag his lazy ass down and pass them out. Be a good opportunity to shake hands and answer questions maybe build a little solidarity
Mgmt shouldn’t have anything to do with this
That would depend on the area and the local. Some areas are hiring non stop and a ba can't be there every other day. Some locals the BA has multiple crafts plus UPS PTers and Drivers. BAs have a lot more work on their plate then most know.

The union provides the cards to the company. When they fill out all their paper work they fill out the card as well. Some areas have orientation meetings when hired and stewards or BAs do it then. Makes no sense to waste BAs time hunting down members during their shifts every week When the Union card can just be provided with the rest of their paperwork.

You know me...

Have home call the Local or send a letter to the E-board explaining the situation. He should mention that he wants to be in good standing but due to a financial hardship, he cannot pay the entire 1500 all at once.

They will put him on a payment plan that works for him.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
That would depend on the area and the local. Some areas are hiring non stop and a ba can't be there every other day. Some locals the BA has multiple crafts plus UPS PTers and Drivers. BAs have a lot more work on their plate then most know.

The union provides the cards to the company. When they fill out all their paper work they fill out the card as well. Some areas have orientation meetings when hired and stewards or BAs do it then. Makes no sense to waste BAs time hunting down members during their shifts every week When the Union card can just be provided with the rest of their paperwork.
I see it as an opportunity to let these kids see who the union is stand by the time clock for 10 minutes give’em some donuts and give them their card make it look like it means something. As far as not having time that’s total bull:censored2: who pays their salaries