UNION?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
That's true. But would UPS lose shareholders if the union suddenly was pushed out? Or would stock prices surge?
Yes, but then the company would fall on its face and so would the stock with no drivers or part timers to do any of the work.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes, but then the company would fall on its face and so would the stock with no drivers or part timers to do any of the work.
But we are talking about stockholders reaction to a company becoming union. The UPS example is only to accentuate a general dislike of unions by stockholders. Maybe not even dislike; maybe annoyance at a profit drain.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
But we are talking about stockholders reaction to a company becoming union. The UPS example is only to accentuate a general dislike of unions by stockholders. Maybe not even dislike; maybe annoyance at a profit drain.
I'm pickin up what your puttin down.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
This is weird---the black guy is talking white while the white guy is talking black.

Weird.

As a White person, I have to take issue with your comment. Why does it have to be "talking white" because one uses proper English, or "talking Black" because one doesn't? Could it be because one might be better educated than the other?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As a White person, I have to take issue with your comment. Why does it have to be "talking white" because one uses proper English, or "talking Black" because one doesn't? Could it be because one might be better educated than the other?

My hope is that the person for whom this was intended will take it in the manner that it was intended. If not, I apologize to that person, although I do think he will appreciate my subtle attempt at humor.

oldngray

nowhere special
It is kind of funny listening to kids in the hood talking. You can't tell their skin color with your eyes closed. I wouldn't call it "talking black". Maybe street or ghetto speech would be a better term.

It will be fine

There is? Please elaborate.
By strong labor I meant a strong labor movement or coalition like market 40ish years ago where 30-40% of the workforce was represented by unions. I don't believe the middle class would be better off with everyone represented by unions. That would concentrate power too much as well. There needs to be a balance so companies are competing. Right now all political and financial power is controlled by corporations and there is no opposing force. Unfortunately the average American worker/voter doesn't seem to care.
For Express to even begin to unionize it would take some serious acts of civil disobedience. Something like organizing a major metro area and striking. I don't think it would be "legal" under the RLA and it would jeopardize the jobs of everyone involved, but without a statement of similar magnitude no national union will go near it. Like I said earlier, people just care about themselves and won't risk their jobs to make that even plausible.