United Way Challenge

Thorn

This week was the official kickoff for the United Way drive in my building.

I would like to challenge all division managers and above to put your money where your mouth is.

I would challenge each of you to work each area of the operation and go out and prove that you can do the job to standard that you say we should be able to do. Lead by example.

Since I'm a driver, I won't speak for other operations. They can issue their
own challenges based on their standards.

My challenge is for a division manager or higher take a planned 9.5 day and run scratch on my route using all methods, not be over 9.5, take your full hour lunch, observe and obey all speed limit and stop signs, have no customer complaints, deliver all packages and turn in at least 1 sold sales lead. I would ride with you to show the delivery and pickup points and to play with the PDA that the on-car sups use on my production rides. You have a week to run scratch. If you do, then I donate my gross paycheck for that week of riding with you to United Way.

If you can't at the least run scratch, I keep my paycheck as hours worked, but I will still donate $500 because at least you showed an effort.

And..., you agree to a new bonafide time study on my area.

If you choose to not take my challenge, then I donate what I always donate which is $0.

Issue this challenge from Corporate at monday's PCM, and I will be the first to accept (except?) it.

Any takers?

tieguy

Banned
This week was the official kickoff for the United Way drive in my building.

I would like to challenge all division managers and above to put your money where your mouth is.

I would challenge each of you to work each area of the operation and go out and prove that you can do the job to standard that you say we should be able to do. Lead by example.

Since I'm a driver, I won't speak for other operations. They can issue their
own challenges based on their standards.

My challenge is for a division manager or higher take a planned 9.5 day and run scratch on my route using all methods, not be over 9.5, take your full hour lunch, observe and obey all speed limit and stop signs, have no customer complaints, deliver all packages and turn in at least 1 sold sales lead. I would ride with you to show the delivery and pickup points and to play with the PDA that the on-car sups use on my production rides. You have a week to run scratch. If you do, then I donate my gross paycheck for that week of riding with you to United Way.

If you can't at the least run scratch, I keep my paycheck as hours worked, but I will still donate $500 because at least you showed an effort.

And..., you agree to a new bonafide time study on my area.

If you choose to not take my challenge, then I donate what I always donate which is $0.

Issue this challenge from Corporate at monday's PCM, and I will be the first to accept (except?) it.

Any takers?

Thorn I don't want your money. And I hope you don't give it. If you give anything to united way then the giving would be tainted.

Give to a charitable cause because you believe its the right thing to do.
Give because you feel you should help your community.

Don't give because you gambled and lost a bet.

Thorn

Thorn I don't want your money. And I hope you don't give it. If you give anything to united way then the giving would be tainted.

Cop out.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
This is going to anger some people, but I really have to understand this -

Does someone at United Way have pictures of a UPS executive naked with a farm animal or something?

UPS should be concerned with UPS. UPS takes too much time & energy with these fund raiser charity drives.

If corporate decides to donate a portion of profits to a charity, good for them.

I as an individual donate where, what, and when I want.

United Way sales drives piss me off. I would venture to say it pisses many people off.

If anything, it turns me away from United Way.

In our shop, the entire parking lot close to the enterance has reserved parking spaces for the larger UW contributors. Us lowlifes that don't have a reserved spot have to walk a 1/4 mile to get into work. Sorry, that is stupid, it sucks, and is counter productive.

Charity is anonymous, charity is quiet, charity is not so you get a parking spot, charity is not for recognition. United Way has, at UPS, gone against all of these principles.

trickpony1

In our shop, the entire parking lot close to the enterance has reserved parking spaces for the larger UW contributors. Us lowlifes that don't have a reserved spot have to walk a 1/4 mile to get into work. Sorry, that is stupid, it sucks, and is counter productive.

Charity is anonymous, charity is quiet, charity is not so you get a parking spot, charity is not for recognition. United Way has, at UPS, gone against all of these principles.

I am aware of another hub that does the same thing.
Some people believe that a donation is a donation. Nothing should be expected in return for said donation.
Some people believe that once the IRS finds out that donations are being made to the UW and something (parking spot) is being given in return as well as the donation being considered a "deduction" then this coercive crap will stop.
But then the company will probably say, ".....oh but....Sir....Mr. IRS....we didn't know".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here in Upstate NY the district runs an annual United Way fundraiser. It is a silent auction for 4 ticket packages to 4 different sports, to include the Buffalo Bills, Syracuse Orangemen (2 sports) and NASCAR at Watkins Glen. I did not participate this year but last year I was high bidder on both the football and basketball packages for the Syracuse Orangemen. UPS has 2 season tickets for the Orangemen and simply auctions these off. The amount of the bid less the amount of the tickets (value of the item donated) can then be deducted as a charitable donation. This is in addition to my weekly payroll deduction, which I also write off of my taxes. In our center a banner is made showing all of the high givers and is displayed all year.

I like the fundraisers as it does provide an incentive to those who may not normally donate to participate.

BBAG made some excellent points but I counter by saying that incentives, such as a prime parking spot, can be very helpful in trying to raise funds for a charity. The value of such incentives are subtracted from the donation amount for tax purposes.

I prefer United Way in that it allows me to help an organization by giving them the funds that they need to perform their charitable work and allows me to do this on a weekly basis as I do not have the liquidity to write a check of this amount on a one-time basis.

BTW, why do you think most larger centers do the parking space fundraiser? Well, as BBAG so eloquently put, "us lowlifes that don't have a reserved spot have to walk 1/4 mile to get in to work..." Now, before people say that you would be basically buying a parking space (which, of course, you would be) you are helping a charity while giving yourself a perk.

705red

Browncafe Steward
In our center a banner is made showing all of the high givers and is displayed all year.

You guys are fine with this? This is a form of harrassment! Its an attempt to make the non givers feel guilty and should not be allowed. No one else should know what another gives and by hanging that banner with names of the highest donators posted its a vioalation of management employee relations.

I do donate to united way through ups, but its on a year by year basis and how i have been treated the previous year by ups management.

Some people are fine with lists being posted as in operations reports, another that should never be allowed to view by others. If you run 2 hours over on your route and its posted for everyone to see this to is a form of harrassment. Nothing should every be posted besides the seniority day off list which includes evryone in the center.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have no problem with it because I have been on the banner for most of my career. It only lists those who give leadership ($750) or higher but does not list individual amounts given.

You know, to be honest, I have never looked at it from your point of view. Those who choose not to give dismiss the banner as a mgt ploy while those who do appreciate the recognition.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Not busting on NYS, or anyone for that matter, for giving to UW or anyone.

Getting something in return for giving money to UW (parking spots, football tickets, names on a banner) is not charity. That is called "shopping".

Charity is anonymous, without personal material gain or reward, and without recognition.

Names of big donators on a banner? Please tell me you are kidding?

I tried to come up with an adult word for that, but I can't. That is plain icky.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I support the United Way as it allows me to make my donation in weekly increments. I support the various fundraisers as I think that they increase participation. I support the banner but do not donate simply to see my name on a banner. I enjoyed the 2 fundraising packages that I was high bidder on as it allowed my children and I (son-basketball, daughter-football) to spend a weekend each in Syracuse. Call it shopping or whatever you wish. I guess the 10-15 people that chose to bid on each of the various packages were just shopping. If my center were a large one, I would bid on a prime parking space.

Charity can be loosely defined as helping those who are less fortunate. My donation goes to the local Hospice, a very worthwhile organization helping those in the final stages of their lives.

I take advantage of the tax deduction offered by the IRS for charitable donations. I always deduct the value of any gift(s) received as part of my donation, which for the sports tickets were the face value of the tickets, which I copied and stapled to a copy of my check.

Do you really think UW gives flying flip why you give them money? I think NOT.
UPS uses all sorts of gimmicks to get what they want, but it isn't OK for the drivers to propose anything to reach a goal? I like Thorns idea, except I would replace DMs with IE people. They are the ones that come up with these stupid unattainable numbers.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
i love how they beat on the poor part time kids making 8.50 an hour then walloped with taxes and union dues ,cut down their hours and maybe give em'' a slice of pizza on a friday nite to give to the U.W these kids should be applauded more than the drivers or any of the mngment team for giving when they take home so little and get beat down so much!!! i tip my hat to all of them!!!!!!

tieguy

Banned
I do donate to united way through ups, but its on a year by year basis and how i have been treated the previous year by ups management.

Some people are fine with lists being posted as in operations reports, another that should never be allowed to view by others. If you run 2 hours over on your route and its posted for everyone to see this to is a form of harrassment. Nothing should every be posted besides the seniority day off list which includes evryone in the center.

A list that recognizes leadership givers by theirselves is ok as long as they are ok with it. No one is expected to be a leadership giver and not being on the list would not be embarrassment.
If you don't post a list that shows who gave little or nothing then its not harrassment or public embarrassment.

The biggest problem I've seen is from the anti united way crowd.
United way once sent a nice thank you out recognizing all the leadership givers in one of our buildings.
Management posted it.
the anti united way crowd then badgered one of the givers. They harrassed him endlessly. The guy ended up giving a lot less the next year.

I find it interesting that you guys talk about management harrassment but you never talk about the peer pressure to not give. That problem exists too.

tieguy

Banned
Do you really think UW gives flying flip why you give them money? I think NOT.
UPS uses all sorts of gimmicks to get what they want, but it isn't OK for the drivers to propose anything to reach a goal? I like Thorns idea, except I would replace DMs with IE people. They are the ones that come up with these stupid unattainable numbers.

trp you moved a hand and foot at the same time when you climbed up on this soapbox.

What did you not understand about my post?
Its real simple.

Give to the united way or whatever charity you support because you want to help your community. Because you get a good feeling inside. Because you feel like your walking on air when you see a disadvantaged kid learn to read. Because you get a tear in your eye when you see a disabled vet suffering from his war wounds or hobbling around on his prostetics. Do it like I do because you feel a sense of outrage when you have to watch your father in law succumb to a horrible disease like ALS.
Do it for all the right reasons tnp.

But for gods sake don't cheapen the gift by doing it because you lost a friggen bet.

New Englander

Tie, here in lies the problem for me. Though before we get to that. I did decide to give this year.

I do not live in the town that I work in. I want my money to go to something that will HELP children. Unfortunately, I was very limited in my choices. 2 and they were less then spectacular in dealing with with what I really wanted my money used for.

Sure thats not the United Ways fault, I know that but it is a very valid reason not to give to them.

Though the original poster has a very valid point. We are being urged to give more this year. Why not take the driver up on it?