United Way force donations coming soon for 2011.

mech1

talking-out-your-ass-150x150.jpg

you start drinking a little early today?

That's a picture of socks right?

UPSSOCKS

I knew you wouldn't have a clue. I didn't say the report had dollar numbers on it. The numbers I used are examples. Reports can be generated for ANY level of giving. I have no idea when the last year was that we were on pace in August.

But your wrong..... And we never have been on pace........ EVER........ Just like we are never hitting our numbers....... It's the UPS way...

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You can justify spending $900 on a bicycle yet can't spare $1/week?

I realize that this is none of my business and that you are free to do whatever you choose with your money but do you see the hypocrisy?
If I post something, it becomes your business, and you are free to call me on what ever it is you see as hypocrisy. The only thing in this matter, is that I'm not being a hypocrite. If you will go back and reread the post where I introduce myself and tell everyone about riding my bike, you'll see what I mean.

For the past I think 4-5 years, I've been commuting to work on my bicycle. The bicycle that I started commuting with was a Huffy mountain bike, which was already old and worn out, and wouldn't change from 18th gear. So one day, I decided that I needed a new bike, so I took a few weeks, or maybe a month or 2 to decide what type of bike would best serve the purpose. After much thought, I decided on the bike I currently ride. This bicycle isn't a toy that I went on some whim to buy. This is the bike I use to ride to and from work, daily, as well as to train with other bike fanatics.

This bicycle has paid for itself, several times over. It has not put me in debt, and I use it, instead of my car. I call that, money well spent, wouldn't you? I mean, I get all of the health benefits, I use WAY less gas than most people I know and I'm not polluting the air. I don't see how any of this makes me a hypocrite. So, feel free to give YOUR money to the United Way. It's your money and your right, Just as it is my money and my right, not to do so.:peaceful:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, I actually thought about this one all day while working and I do apologize for what I wrote. It was none of my business. I am sorry. Dave.
It's perfectly okay for you to ask, Dave. I'm not offended at all. I think everyone should be able to post and back up their statements, if fingers get pointed. It's the only way to get to the bottom of things, sometimes. Come to think of it, it would be nice if a good repping came along with the guilt.:wink2:

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Charity is about giving to the less fortunate. Most of those who say they can't afford it, really just mean they choose not to afford it. No one has "extra" money, but at our income level we have a whole lot more than most people. It's the individuals choice, but a person making 75K a year, or more, is in a better position to "afford" giving away a few dollars than most people. Three quarters of the worlds population lives on less than $10 per day.

I despise the arm twisting methods sometimes used and sometimes I hate the company, but neither of these things makes a person so poor they'd be placing themselves in hardship by giving away a few dollars per year.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Charity is about giving to the less fortunate. Most of those who say they can't afford it, really just mean they choose not to afford it. No one has "extra" money, but at our income level we have a whole lot more than most people. It's the individuals choice, but a person making 75K a year, or more, is in a better position to "afford" giving away a few dollars than most people. Three quarters of the worlds population lives on less than $10 per day.

I despise the arm twisting methods sometimes used and sometimes I hate the company, but neither of these things makes a person so poor they'd be placing themselves in hardship by giving away a few dollars per year.
We don't all make 75k a year, and even when we do, some of us use every last penny to keep our households up and running. We're not all mathematical genuises.

Omega man

Definitely donate. But, why not do it ourselves? Why does UPS have to be involved? I have chosen to donate on my own and not through UPS the last couple of years. I tell management that I won't donate through UPS because I don't like the abusive way that they treat their employees.

brown_trousers

Definitely donate. But, why not do it ourselves? Why does UPS have to be involved? I have chosen to donate on my own and not through UPS the last couple of years. I tell management that I won't donate through UPS because I don't like the abusive way that they treat their employees.
I agree.. I find it interesting how whenever a United Way topic comes up here, people make it sound like this is the ONLY charity in existence. There are plenty of ways to help out the less fortunate. United Way is only one of the many ways we can choose to help out.

UPSSOCKS

blah blah blah blah....... abusive??? watch what happens to employees in Korea when they screw up. You have no idea what abusive is.. Don't donate, what goes around comes around.........

mech1

blah blah blah blah....... abusive??? watch what happens to employees in Korea when they screw up. You have no idea what abusive is.. Don't donate, what goes around comes around.........
You know whats abusive having to listen to whine.Is that ok cheryl or who ever is reading this I did'nt know this site was state run media

UPSSOCKS

You know whats abusive having to listen to whine.Is that ok cheryl or who ever is reading this I did'nt know this site was state run media

It is and you need to comply with the TOS... BC is alot like UPS, all you have to do is follow the rules.. Why do you have so much trouble following the rules??

dougdodd

Retired and happy
I don't know about UPS policy today but when I was there the company would match our donations. There was a list of eligible charities but the list was so long that I don't think any charitable group was left out. I always gave to my favorite charity and UW just because!
But back then we used pen and paper to record deliveries and yes management would pressure us to give. I've got mugs and miniature package cars to prove it.

Sometimes us old guys got to speak up and say give and don't worry about whose name is on the check

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I don't know about UPS policy today but when I was there the company would match our donations. There was a list of eligible charities but the list was so long that I don't think any charitable group was left out. I always gave to my favorite charity and UW just because!
But back then we used pen and paper to record deliveries and yes management would pressure us to give. I've got mugs and miniature package cars to prove it.

Sometimes us old guys got to speak up and say give and don't worry about whose name is on the check

dougdodd
Thank you for making this thread the home of your first post.

I made my pledge online today.

I split it two ways:

One:
Tri-City Area United Way understands that you really want to make a difference right here in the Marinette, Menominee, Oconto Tri-City Area. Campaign 2011 is gearing up with new activities. We want to help you do that.

Brownmonster can attest to how poor the communities are in the Northwest Corner of Wisconsin.
My father was raised on a farm in Armstrong Creek, Wisconsin. Tri-City also takes care of Forest County.

Two:
This one is for you Daddy...

The Aurora Visiting Nurse Association Hospice Program provides services in Milwaukee and throughout southeast Wisconsin and focus on a special way of caring for the person whose life expectancy is limited. Hospice affirms life and maintains the dignity of each individual we serve. The philosophy of hospice focuses on maintaining the quality of life by keeping patients pain-free and comfortable while providing for spiritual, emotional, social and physical needs.
Hospice is a concept of care, not a place of care

A special way of caring...
Hospice offers a wide range of services to benefit the terminally ill patient and his/her family. We understand the care needed by people with many life-limiting conditions such as cancer, end-stage heart, lung, liver or kidney disease, AIDS, end-stage Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
Our team includes physicians, nurses, social workers, clergy, aides and highly trained volunteers, and we work together with the patient and family to develop a treatment plan.

Hospice develops and institutes a plan of care to help patients and families maintain control over their lives by keeping them physically and emotionally supported and comfortable. Hospice enhances the quality of life and enables patients to live the final days of their lives with dignity, purpose and peace.

Blizzard

Well according to some on here,,,, you are now officially a "cheap" person,,,, shame on you

I do not consider myself cheap but rather smart. I would rather put that money away for my retirement and donate my time so that way when that glorious day comes and I can say screw this company I'm done I know I'm walking away with my own security in place.

Tourist looks like selfish might be a better word. :happy-very:

Do the poor get fed if everyone donates their time and no one donates the food or money that feeds them?

Blizzard

dougdodd
Thank you for making this thread the home of your first post.

I made my pledge online today.

I split it two ways:

One:
Tri-City Area United Way understands that you really want to make a difference right here in the Marinette, Menominee, Oconto Tri-City Area. Campaign 2011 is gearing up with new activities. We want to help you do that.

Brownmonster can attest to how poor the communities are in the Northwest Corner of Wisconsin.
My father was raised on a farm in Armstrong Creek, Wisconsin. Tri-City also takes care of Forest County.

Two:
This one is for you Daddy...

The Aurora Visiting Nurse Association Hospice Program provides services in Milwaukee and throughout southeast Wisconsin and focus on a special way of caring for the person whose life expectancy is limited. Hospice affirms life and maintains the dignity of each individual we serve. The philosophy of hospice focuses on maintaining the quality of life by keeping patients pain-free and comfortable while providing for spiritual, emotional, social and physical needs.
Hospice is a concept of care, not a place of care

A special way of caring...
Hospice offers a wide range of services to benefit the terminally ill patient and his/her family. We understand the care needed by people with many life-limiting conditions such as cancer, end-stage heart, lung, liver or kidney disease, AIDS, end-stage Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
Our team includes physicians, nurses, social workers, clergy, aides and highly trained volunteers, and we work together with the patient and family to develop a treatment plan.

Hospice develops and institutes a plan of care to help patients and families maintain control over their lives by keeping them physically and emotionally supported and comfortable. Hospice enhances the quality of life and enables patients to live the final days of their lives with dignity, purpose and peace.

+1. I have to say I worry about this world when I read through this thread. Good to see a couple of people trying to make a difference.

I suppose this thread makes sense though. If as someone here said ups and united way become the means to feed the poor then I suppose they also become the means to screw the poor if you don't like your job?

Last edited by a moderator:

rama'nfeeders

My manager in Feeders just asked me about United Way. She says do you donate? My respone No. Do you intend to donate this year? My response No. The room went quite and the meeting was over. SHORT & SWEET!